I don’t believe it!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
There appears to be something totally missing?

It's called a jockey wheel, no sign of the stem so where's the wheel???

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many will disagree, but I would have considered using the front steadies doing a bit at a time each time until I am able to access the jockey wheel. However I would remove anything heavy from the front area including gas bottle.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Been there, got the T Shirt. In my case the first time was user error, I mustn't have checked that the jockey wheel clamp was tight enough. If you don't have a friendly farmer with a fork lift, another solution can be to get someone (or two) into the rear of the caravan, this makes lifting the front easier. I have a set of Milenco aluminium steps which I put under the hitch, and which took the strain until I could get the jockey wheel back into its correct place.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Many will disagree, but I would have considered using the front steadies doing a bit at a time each time until I am able to access the jockey wheel. However I would remove anything heavy from the front area including gas bottle.
Not me B. When you look at the flimsy floor ,I’d be very concerned stressing the floor and wall joint.
I did the same think as the OP decades ago. The scissor Jack got me out the mess.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not me B. When you look at the flimsy floor ,I’d be very concerned stressing the floor and wall joint.
I did the same think as the OP decades ago. The scissor Jack got me out the mess.
My method would be a last resort as sometimes you either do not have a scissor jack or the jack will not fit under the hitch. I doubt if you will stress the floor very much as even with the steadies down walking in the front are a stresses the floor anyway even if rear steadies are down.

However I guess it is up to the individual to make the decision. Luckily I no longer have that worry and can lift the front or back or even side to side using the steadies.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
B are the steadies mounted differently from the usual, eg spread plates etc?
On your method it is possible if all the weight , gas bottles etc are moved to the rear or hire two gorillas😁

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
B are the steadies mounted differently from the usual, eg spread plates etc?
On your method it is possible if all the weight , gas bottles etc are moved to the rear or hire two gorillas😁
On our current caravan we have the levelling system so no issue. I am fairly sure that we once had so raise the front of our 2011 Lunar Delta TI using the steadies a bit at a time each side. I don't think I was able to use scissor jack or was worried about it twisting the chassis if used in the front. Long time ago and memory fades.

Chris was lucky he had someone on hand to help him as not all of us are that fortunate. Good job Chris never had his eggs hidden under the hitch. 😂
😂

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I presume that the clamp had not been recurely tightened? I only saw this once on site when someone's jockey wheel collapsed as the van was hitched to the car and got wedged. My suggestion was for one person to go right to the rear of the van to raise the hitch up a bit in the hope that it released. It worked and they were able to stow it in the front locker and get on their way. Being hitched to the car restricted the movement. Otherwise in Chris' situation to prevent the van suddenly plummeting rear down I would half lower the rear steadies then get a.n.other to walk slowly to the rear to pivot the van - then lower the front steadies to ground - if more was needed get the a.n.other to move to over the axle and raise the corner steadies a quarter then repeat!

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Been a bit calamatous today. Took a while setting up between the showers, got wrapped up in a load of traffic in Tewksbury. Arrived back expecting a semi cold fridge only to discover I’d put it in gas setting instead of electric. Been feeling a little fd up TBH . But as this bottle of tepid cider goes down, I’m starting to feel more positive!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here is another "I don't believe it". Two units come on site. First one is a motorhome and he stops just after entering the site. The other unit a car and a caravan wait behind the motorhome. They wait for the motorhome to move, but it just stays put while they decide where they want to pitch. eventually car and caravan squeeze past motorhome.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is another "I don't believe it". Two units come on site. First one is a motorhome and he stops just after entering the site. The other unit a car and a caravan wait behind the motorhome. They wait for the motorhome to move, but it just stays put while they decide where they want to pitch. eventually car and caravan squeeze past motorhome.
Had similar when a motorhome just arriving decided to fill water tanks using a water point just on the main route in. I waited but eventually decided to take the car and van off road to pass him. Jockey wheel ploughed into undulations and came back up covered on turf and mud. There was a separate motor home servicing point in another area.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Don’t wind me up! Three years ago on a single track Highland road a MH towing a car failed to stop at the passing place. He stopped 30yards beyond. He said he couldn’t reverse with the car attached. I backed up 100 yards to the previous passing place! Not a happy dog that day.

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
I did it that way but got my wife to stand inside just behind the axle.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Don’t wind me up! Three years ago on a single track Highland road a MH towing a car failed to stop at the passing place. He stopped 30yards beyond. He said he couldn’t reverse with the car attached. I backed up 100 yards to the previous passing place! Not a happy dog that day.
Last time away we had a MH with car behind on next pitch.
another MH owner came over to have a chat with the owner of said outfit. He was asking about towing the vehicle behind and the owner actually said to him you cant reverse with car attached, it was on an
A frame.
So is it a mechanism that stops them reversing or just because they cant see the vehicle behind??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Last time away we had a MH with car behind on next pitch.
another MH owner came over to have a chat with the owner of said outfit. He was asking about towing the vehicle behind and the owner actually said to him you cant reverse with car attached, it was on an
A frame.
So is it a mechanism that stops them reversing or just because they cant see the vehicle behind??
ts probably a couple of thing, As you say the car behind would be hidden by the rear of the motorhome, but also most A frame dollies introduce a second point of articulation, which does make reversing with such short trailers very difficult unless yo can see exactly how the dolly and car are moving and even then it's complicated set of interactions.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
A car on an A-frame steers using its in-built castor angle, similar to supermarket trolley wheels. When you reverse the wheels try and turn through 180 degrees (as when you push a trolley backwards) and hence the car doesn’t reverse as a trailer would. If the car is light enough you can “shove” it where you want with the front wheels skidding but it doesn’t always work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts