I know nothing...

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
...that's why I'm here. Sorry for that.

I don't talk much but I really love reading.

Once I figured out where to post my thread of countless question I will have a go at it.

Reactions: SteveW
Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Good morning Orion and Welcome.
You clearly do know that you have chosen the right place to get answers to your questions. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all had to start somewhere so, fire away. (y):)
That was quick :) Thank you for your reply.

I need to figure out a bit of concept of what and how to ask. That will take a bit of time.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. There is plenty of help on here so just ask. Possibly you need to start with the number and age of people you need to accommodate in the caravan, your budget and full details of the tow car, particularly the kerb weight and towing limit.
To get some idea of what is available, do look round a few dealers and see what they have that will be within your budget and suits your needs then go away and think about it and then ask what you think you need to know.

Reactions: Orion
Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
I'm on my own now, I would never have put the idea of living in a caravan on my wife. No I'm just old and tired.

I've been looking at this one New or used is not a decision I've made yet. My car doesn't have a tow bar. But I can have it installed (About £700-800 for my car). Otherwise, since it would be only once, I've looked at towing services. Not asked for a quotation yet.

I'm looking to pitch the caravan up somewhere round year and move in completely. Like everything else about this, its only in my head at the moment.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is caravan is a nice choice, but not one I would want to live in on a long term basis as it is probably just that bit too small. If buying from a dealer they may tow it to your chosen sit,e but then you need to ensure that they can service and do any warranty repairs on site instead fo having to take the caravan back to the dealership each time.

Recently we had a Trust tow bar fitted onto our 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and cost was under £600 however this will differ depending on the make of the car.

Lastly we lived in our twin axle caravan for two and a half years and you need to be aware of some of the pitfalls living in a caravan permanently. Firstly you would need an address for car registration and driving licence as more than likely you cannot use the address of the caravan site for obvious reasons. Also there is the matter of insurance for car and caravan. Hopefully I can advise on those aspects.

In the meantime feel free to ask as many questions as possible as we enjoy trying to help newbies. (y):D

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
The tow bar for under £600 makes sense, problem is mine is a BMW and they always want more than others.

I guess my first question should be pitch fees. I have no idea how much that could be. I would like to be somewhere Devon, Cornwall, Gloucestershire.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
I just took another look at the Swift Sprite series and it appears that the bigger one is 'only' £1600 more than the small one. So that needs a bit more thinking about.

I'm not getting anywhere finding representative pitch fees. I'm now at anywhere between £2700 and £12500. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms and somebody can point me in a direction.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
There will be huge variation in pitch fees, depending on the facilities offered.
Welcome Orion, a massive learning curve ahead for you. As Roger states, the fees depend on what the site has, if you want a fully serviced, that is water supplied to the pitch and waste water drainage, and very little else other than nice views, the price is cheaper, but if you want entertainment on the site it gets more costly.
Good luck looking for what you want.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I just took another look at the Swift Sprite series and it appears that the bigger one is 'only' £1600 more than the small one. So that needs a bit more thinking about.

I'm not getting anywhere finding representative pitch fees. I'm now at anywhere between £2700 and £12500. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms and somebody can point me in a direction.

Are you inquiring about seasonal fees or permanent? If seasonal the site will close for 2 - 3months at the end of the year and you will need to move off. Not many sites will offer a permanent stay.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Are you inquiring about seasonal fees or permanent? If seasonal the site will close for 2 - 3months at the end of the year and you will need to move off. Not many sites will offer a permanent stay.
It might be practical to join on of the clubs and use CL/CS 5-van sites during the period when a seasonal site is closed - CL/CS sites can be used for 28 days at a time and some owners will bend the rules at quiet times and let you stay longer.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Also you need to be aware that some sites that offer an annual pitch, also want to sell you a caravan. You may find it more difficult to find just the pitch for your own van. Seasonal pitches offer no security of tenure and they write their own rule book - which they are free to change.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
There will be huge variation in pitch fees, depending on the facilities offered.
I don't know yet what I would need. I think water and electricity would be my start. I don't know yet how the waste water disposal works. Maybe WiFi would be good.

What else is there?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't know yet what I would need. I think water and electricity would be my start. I don't know yet how the waste water disposal works. Maybe WiFi would be good.

What else is there?
Pitches with Electric, water and drainage are known as fully serviced or supreme pitches and are the most expensive.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
It might be practical to join on of the clubs and use CL/CS 5-van sites during the period when a seasonal site is closed - CL/CS sites can be used for 28 days at a time and some owners will bend the rules at quiet times and let you stay longer.
I'm looking into this now, thank you.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Also you need to be aware that some sites that offer an annual pitch, also want to sell you a caravan. You may find it more difficult to find just the pitch for your own van. Seasonal pitches offer no security of tenure and they write their own rule book - which they are free to change.
Interesting and good to know, thank you.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Good idea however if on a CL or CS during the winter or any club site and you need to move, moving in winter is never a good idea. We used to find an alternative site that was open when the main one was used, but we had to pay a bit more as we would only be on the site for 3 months.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Would this one be a good choice? Just my first attempt.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Good idea however if on a CL or CS during the winter or any club site and you need to move, moving in winter is never a good idea. We used to find an alternative site that was open when the main one was used, but we had to pay a bit more as we would only be on the site for 3 months.
I didn't intend to move at all. Gives me something else to think about.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Orion.
Fully serviced pitches have been mentioned . You need to appreciate you will still have to empty the toilet waste at a chemical disposal point. However some pitches do have a brown drain next to the caravan,but rarely. Looking at an alternative have you considered using a static caravan instead of a tourer? Good luck.

Mar 6, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Orion.
Fully serviced pitches have been mentioned . You need to appreciate you will still have to empty the toilet waste at a chemical disposal point. However some pitches do have a brown drain next to the caravan,but rarely. Looking at an alternative have you considered using a static caravan instead of a tourer? Good luck.
I live in static caravan but the landlord has got insane with the rent now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts