ID cards vote

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Well I must be the first to comment.

How many of you will be applying for a new passport before your old one expires to avoid the extra charge.

They will be hitting everyone as they reapply for their passports fingers and eye scans.

lets have your views!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The short answer from me is that I am in favour of ID cards with all the bio details but I don't see why I should pay for it.

My passport expires this year so I will be renewing it and then probably renew it again in 2008 before the cards come in.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have to go along with those far more knowledgeable than me on the subject and respect their judgement of whether the cards will work or not so agree to accept ID cards. The cost of

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
My concern is the eye scan.

How much testing has been done on this?

It can take 15 years for life saving medicine to get on our shelves, how long have there retina been tested for?

How safe is it?

If there is no evidence that there is any harm?

What evidence is there that there is harm?

ETC ETC ETC

What about the cost?

I heard

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Smiley

I helped develop the retina scan technology in line with bank ATM some 10 yrs ago. Although at the time it was seen as too exspensive, it was a very accurate and simple technology. No harm is done to the eye as it is a simple light that reads the position of certain charectoristics of the eye.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't mind ID cards, had to carry them in the past and in Germany they still do. It's not going to make a blind bit of difference though. As far as a terrorist is concerned, where there is a will there is a way.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I agree terroists is a smoke screen.

I'm a granny I already have

passport

driving licence

n.i card

medical card

ID card

But You can be anything you want to be and even change and vecome terrorist - assylum seeker - gunslinger (john wayne) and still have an ID card.

By the way what powers the eye scan?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Lol and Brian.

It is not about preventing terrorism - it is more about benefit and identity fraud.

Bizarre rules means that anyone opening a bank account has to prove Name and Address.

All things that the true terrorist or criminal will have no problem fabricating.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have very great doubts about the ID card scheme, not because of the cards themselves, but about my personal information which is to be stored on some computer, somewhere, as every Government has proven track records of how badly they can manage such a huge amount of data, and keep it SECURE.

I thought the introduction of Photo bearing driving licences would eliminate the need for further kinds of identification for many services, but in most places, you have to produce the paper part as well as the photo part, so a complete waste of time and money.

I am also very concerned about the testing of the equipment which wil be used to scan eyes, and unless they are operated by fully qualified opthalmologists, I for one will NOT be subscribing to the ID card. I will not have my eyesight even possibly damaged by some untrained Group 4 jobsworth.

This is not something the general public actually want, it is a whim of Blair and his cronies, it will do nothing to prevent terrorism, nothing to prevent fraud by the big league fraudsters, and as it is a Government idea, why am I being told I must pay for their whims and fancies.

Other countries do have ID cards, but the holder does not have to pay for it,as we are being told we will.

The CSA has proven what a farce Governments have in dealing with a relatively small number of people, god knows what they will do with the whole population.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
As you can probably guess from my comments regarding cctv, I don't particularly relish the idea of identity cards. The cost will be massive, the powers that be are certain to **** it up big style, and it'll have little to no effect on terrorism, since most of the persons involved are not officially in this country anyway. It'll be a spectacular failure similar to that of the hand gun ban, where law abiding people can no longer have a hand gun but the very people we're trying to keep them away from can pick them up at a minutes notice. I'm very much a believer that if you've done nothing wrong you don't have to prove yourself to anyone.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Yes I know that what I meant was current drivers pre change.

I now have to get a new just because I am moving, my sisters won't ever move therefor don't have to change theirs or pay the extra.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I do not won't a id card I thick it going to fear has we have earth big brother stuff now days and I wound not like to be caring a card with all my id on it when I heard how un safe it is.

Mark

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Lol and Brian.

It is not about preventing terrorism - it is more about benefit and identity fraud.

Bizarre rules means that anyone opening a bank account has to prove Name and Address.

All things that the true terrorist or criminal will have no problem fabricating.
Whats wrong with preventing fraud?

TRENDING THREADS