Illogical location of water heater

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We are away in the van at the moment. I was running the bathroom hot tap and thought to myself - Why is the water heater at the furthest point forward in the van when the kitchen is near the back and the bathroom is AT the back. The tap has to be run for a while before any hot water starts to fill the basin. Why isn't the water heater located between the kitchen and bathroom to save pipe length and therefore weight?? It would also save me having to fill up the aquaroll so often and would save water. Is it the case that caravan designers do not try out their design themselves by doing live-in tests?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
yes I have pondered on this aspect,
why do they fill the only usable floor storage space, (under bunks) with equipment while leaving areas of wasted space empty
in our little van all the equipment is there yet under the wardrobe is a chasm of empty room that cannot be used once the wardrobe is in use, plus the space between the bunks under the draws, let alone the drop down flap beside the fridge that represents a cupboard which one has to get down on hands and knees to use . erm very thoughtfull.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree it does not make sense but all makes seem to do it. and further back would aid weight distribution.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some vans actually do. My previous Burstner had the heater under the foot of the fixed bed which was on the same side of the kitchen and ver close behind the axle line. Most FB vans with bed and kitchen on same side could use this layout.
Present van has it front off side corner as far from shower as you can get with considerable difference of noseweight according to full or drained. Also means very difficult to drain down completely.
Adds to my suspicions that caravan designers are seldom caravan users.

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My Hobby has a Truma Therme heater under the dinette seat at the front of the van but tomorrow it is going in to have a Truma Ultra store fitted under the seat next to the wardrobe. This will put it about three feet from the kitchen taps and about four feet from the washroom taps, so should conserve some water. The seat also has a drop down flap ( To make up the bed) so it will be ideal for operating the drain tap.

Gordon

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Could be a good business opportunity for an enterprising caravan fitter.
The obvious reason for putting them where they do is for ease of repair, and the obvious they always put them there.
The issue of nose weight as already referred to is also important as a large amount of new vans have nose weights which are 90kg or more forcing you to put heavy items further back to balance the van, against all the normal loading advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts