IMPORTANT NOTICE

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Good morning all!

I am very pleased to be able to share with you the news that the new Practical Caravan website and forum are just around the corner. Both the website and the forum have been totally redesigned and a lot of work has gone on and will continue to go on behind the scenes to give you the best website and forum possible.

We are migrating the forum to a new platform. The great news is that this will bring new features and functions, and we have taken great care to migrate all the content, so your existing posts should stay where they are! The bad news is that we'll need a day or two to get everything done, so we'll have to disable posting for a little while as this process is undertaken. We will likely disable the forum late Tuesday afternoon (March 18th) and if all goes well, it'll be back up in its new home by the close of business on Wednesday (19th) – if all goes to plan!

This migration process will certainly cause a few issues so please bear with us! The things that might not translate nicely are:

1. Your avatars. To keep things simple, we've enabled the Gravatar.com system. This allows you to associate your avatar with your email address. Don't worry about privacy as the system encodes your email address via a 'one-way' function before asking for the image from Gravatar.com – rest assured here is no way to turn the image back into your email address. So if you want to retain your avatar here on the forum, I'd suggest you rush off and sign up on http://gravatar.com with the same email address you use here (and don't worry if you have multiple email addresses you can manage them all via one login at Gravatar.com!).

2. Your username. In most cases we've been able to preserve your username, but as we're joining a wider network, we might run into some problems. But don't worry! With the new site you'll be able to login with your email and password. So if you find you can no longer login, just try replacing your username with your email address and keep the same password. That should let you in. If you don't like the new username we've assigned (normally we just remove all the invalid characters like spaces and such like) then get in touch and we'll endeavour to either restore your original username (if it was a clash with a now inactive user) or allow you to select a username that is better suited. Sadly the process for this is a little complex and requires a bit of manual intervention so we cannot easily offer you a nice interface to do it yourself.

3. View counts. The new forum has a "views" counter but sadly we cannot prime this with any data from the old forums so the counts will look a little odd for a while. Obviously this doesn't affect any new posts, so it's just the older posts that will look a little unloved!

4. Sticky posts and moderators. Both of these will be preserved and you should be able to continue as normal.

That is it for now. Thanks for your patience. We hope very much that you enjoy the new forum once it is up and running.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Good luck with the changeover........hope all goes well.

Lizzie Pope said:
4. Sticky posts and moderators. Both of these will be preserved and you should be able to continue as normal.

Yes ......you need to preserve the moderators!!!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
BIG SMILEY ICON THING Well done Lizzie and the team at haymarket.
This is long overdue and am sure it will be most welcomed. I can see it now in my sinister mind, who did this new forum, how do you do that, whats that for, cant do this cant do that, and thats just me asking the questions.
Hope Parksy and Damien havent booked any Hols over the next few weeks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Exciting times
smiley-laughing.gif

Good job I bought a laptop last week Kev.
I've already signed up for a Wordpress account and chosen my new Avatar, not Father Jack Hackett this time though, the picture is much worse than that.
For anybody wondering, don't be put off by the technical stuff on the Gavatar website, it's a simple procedure.
Just click sign in at the top right, click the url link for a new account if you don't already have one and complete the dialogue box with your email address, Gavatar username ( separate to the PCv forum username) and password and then browse the pictures from your computer hard drive in the normal way to choose your avatar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,
Not wishing to put a spanner in theworks, but after reading through your tex on how to preserve my Login name and the picture of a roman solder a symbal off my local Town Colchester, I am none the wiser.
Before you answer beware i prefer to write with a fountain pen not a ball pen.
On Thursday morning (or when ever the programme is up and running)will I be able to log in with my user name which I have used for approx 11 years along with my Roman Soldier.
Utterly confused Royston.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi and thanks for your post. Yes, the bottom line is that when the new forum is live, you should be able to log in as you have done before and you'll be fine – especially as your username is a simple, single-word one. If you have any problems, log in with the email address associated with your account plus your usual password, but I suspect you'll be fine. You can always update your avatar at a later date through the new forum.

I hope that helps!

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, I have looked into Gavatar, I not really happy about using this, there does not seem to be a way of deleting a gavatar account once it is set up. From a quick search of the internet (I could not find a way to search the gavatar site) it would seem that once you sign up, they will track you for life!

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Good news about the upgrade but I think I'll do without an avatar

From InFocus:- After agreeing with Gravatar terms (does anyone read it?) you “grant to Automattic a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free and fully-paid, transferable (including rights to sublicense) right to perform the Services”.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
hortimech said:
OK, I have looked into Gavatar, I not really happy about using this, there does not seem to be a way of deleting a gavatar account once it is set up. From a quick search of the internet (I could not find a way to search the gavatar site) it would seem that once you sign up, they will track you for life!
How to Make Your Gravatar Profile Private
← Back
All Gravatar profiles are made public by default, but we understand if you might not want to use that feature and keep your information private. You can easily hide your Gravatar Profile if you would like. To do so:
At the top of your browser window, click on My Account, then click on View My Profile.
In the lower right corner of your profile, click Hide My Profile.
Your Gravatar profile will no longer be visible or available for use on hovercards or in widgets. Your Gravatar image will still appear unless you choose not to use that image. If you would like to remove your image, please click on My Account, then click on Manage My Gravatars to make changes to your selected images or delete the images you have uploaded.
Hide My Public Profile
View My Profile
  • This process will not delete any information from your account, it will just prevent access to your profile page or information.
  • If you want to remove your profile information, just go to the profile editor and delete it manually.
  • While your profile is hidden, you will not be able to edit any stored information, so if you want to delete something, do that now.
  • Your Gravatar (image) will continue to work even with your profile hidden. If you want to remove your Gravatar as well, go to the Manage My Gravatars page and click the Don't use this image link underneath each email address in the list.
  • You can un-hide your profile at any time if you change your mind................................................................................................................................................
Or have a look here

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Nothing sprocket posted showed how to fully delete a gravatar account which as far as I can see is the same as a wordpress account. I have also found a wordpress page that says that you cannot delete a wordpress.com account, if this the case and I will need one of these accounts to post, then this may be when I leave this forum. ........................................................................................................................................

If I have to have a wordpress account and you are going to migrate my settings to wordpress and set up a wordpress account so that I can post, then you do not have my permission to do this. I will not be forced to have an account that I cannot delete.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
On first reading Lizzie's thread I was as pleased as everyone else that we were at last going to get a more user-friendly forum. However the more I read, the less I'm liking the idea! Because I'm an IT dinasaur I have absolutely no idea what a gravatar or wordpress account is, but it's all beginning to sound a bit too Orwellian to me.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Deli Dave_ said:
Good news about the upgrade but I think I'll do without an avatar

From InFocus:- After agreeing with Gravatar terms (does anyone read it?) you “grant to Automattic a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free and fully-paid, transferable (including rights to sublicense) right to perform the Services”.

hortimech said:
Nothing sprocket posted showed how to fully delete a gravatar account which as far as I can see is the same as a wordpress account. I have also found a wordpress page that says that you cannot delete a wordpress.com account, if this the case and I will need one of these accounts to post, then this may be when I leave this forum. ........................................................................................................................................

If I have to have a wordpress account and you are going to migrate my settings to wordpress and set up a wordpress account so that I can post, then you do not have my permission to do this. I will not be forced to have an account that I cannot delete.

CyberCynth said:
On first reading Lizzie's thread I was as pleased as everyone else that we were at last going to get a more user-friendly forum. However the more I read, the less I'm liking the idea! Because I'm an IT dinasaur I have absolutely no idea what a gravatar or wordpress account is, but it's all beginning to sound a bit too Orwellian to me.

Before we begin to frighten ourselves away from the new forum with Orwellian conspiracy theories it might be worthwhile having a look at the Word Press privacy statement which will explain what happens to any information that Wordpress have access to.
http://wordpress.org/about/privacy/
The simple and easy solution for those who are worried is to use a new email address which you would consider to be disposable, just for the wordpress account.
Then if you want to remove yourself from any data simply cease to use that email address.
Almost every website that you visit and certainly every internet forum has the same information, if you no longer use a particular internet forum nothing sinister happens to the details that you supplied when you first joined, you are not identified by name anyway and the data simply stops being counted if and when you no longer use that forum.
The Post Office know your home address if you are on the electoral register but there are no loud knocks on the door at midnight, they just know where to deliver your mail.
Apart from no longer visiting any particular website and forum, how would you delete your existing account for this forum or any other caravan forum for that matter?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I didn't mean to or want to scare you! Remember, you can still use the forum and its new functions without creating a Gravatar account.

Lizzie

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all, I am with the last two posts, there is no way I am going to sign up to any system that I cannot get rid of, all this reminds me of sitting at the computer doing a post at 11:30pm on the 31st of december 1999 wondering if my little box would work in the morning, remember that!!!. (smiley thingy) if perchance I cannot log in old style, on the new forum so be it!!, if I can thats fine if not this will probably be my last post. so just in case before it is switched off, happy caravanning to all. and good luck with the new forum, note for Parksy it's not for private reasons why one should object, information about us is everywhere, every time we contact anyone you give your e-mail post code ect, everything about our personal details is held somewhere and obtainable with the click of a mouse button (and password) electronic data tagging is common place like in cookies ect, the days of 1984 are here it is no myth, the objection is simple, it is signing up to a system that you cannot delete like getting a tattoo, once on, its there for life.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
...............note for Parksy it's not for private reasons why one should object, information about us is everywhere, every time we contact anyone you give your e-mail post code ect, everything about our personal details is held somewhere and obtainable with the click of a mouse button (and password) electronic data tagging is common place like in cookies ect, the days of 1984 are here it is no myth, the objection is simple, it is signing up to a system that you cannot delete like getting a tattoo, once on, its there for life.
With respect Colin, and not wishing to get into aprotracted debate about it because Lizzie has come up with the solution, everything that you post on the internet is 'there for life' somewhere in cyberpace.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to give it a try when the new system clicks in, but like some others I'm still in the 20th century, and don't understand a word of what's been written here about how to sign in. As far as I can see, the alphabetical doughnuts have to be in line with the porridge applicators to get the double helical thrust nuts to coincide.Is that correct?
If not, then this could be my last post. If it is my last one, then its been good to be here. If I do survive, I'll see you on the other side.
Good luck everyone.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Thanks for the PM system, but will a spell checker be available or can you link to MS Word?
Hi Surfer
If you are using Mozilla Firefox you can activate the spell checker.
Click >> Tools and from the drop down click >> Options >>Content. From the Options box click the Content tab to chose the language from the drop down choice.
When you have selected 'United Kingdom English' go to the 'Advanced' tab >> General and use the tick box to activate the spell check at the bottom of the 'Browsing' menu.
This will work for every website that you access via Firefox.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Lizzie, will any of this be mentioned in PC to encourage readers to join the forum so we can have new members ?

If I get stuck I will do my usual and ask my grandaughter for help

TRENDING THREADS