Improvements and enhancements made today. 😀

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Having just returned from a couple of weeks away I felt the need to do some jobs. While away the Alde heating started playing up noticeable on the cold evenings. Ours came with an header tank pump, not the best when it is close to your head when trying to sleep. The pump would sometimes fail to start and need a wiggle to encourage it. I decided to upgrade to an inline pump and it coincides with the need for the second fluid change at 7 years old. I ordered the parts and posted the price savings in another post.

The heating system in my Lunar is close to identical to the Unicorn I did a fluid change to previously. But this one was not as easy to drain as the Bailey. I am now convinced this is because the non return valve must have been faulty on the Bailey. The working valve on the Lunar made draining the boiler completely difficult. I had to do some mopping up!

Once drained, the pump was easy to fit. But I found that the convector behind the bench seat needed two fixing screws missed out in the original build and some pipe supports. I got Comma GG40 as recommended by Alde. But I got concentrated on line, and also deionised water from Tesco. Total £34 compared to over £100 using ready to use fluid. Always pays to research and shop around.

The system filled up up by pumping into the flow pipe through the header tank. Not too much bleeding required. Pump worked straight away.

Second improvement. I fitted an anti-scald thermostat as in the picture. I believe Manufacturers now fit these at least to higher end vans. It should help with preventing the stupidly hot water at the sink and make controlling the shower easier.

I had a few issues with leaks which now seem cured, hence the use of kitchen paper to try and detect any water.

I should have taken more pics but this is the finished job. Pump is the blue bit in the background.
I am hoping it works OK and the temperature is easy to moderate, but it does seem to fluctuate a bit. Time will tell.

The new pump…

1CB679B8-FC7D-4B4E-9F50-228FC1F84035.jpeg

Prep done to fit pump……

758494CA-0A02-4AE0-8FA2-1AD398F3E551.jpeg

How the plugs need to be refitted…..

DAFC408A-59A2-4D22-AF0A-9CC2D1D064AF.jpeg

Thermostacic control with the pump behind….

EF483A44-6F0D-44EB-969F-7E61AEA486CF.jpeg6D1BA14F-E19D-4A1C-BAE1-1E441945AFC6.jpeg

We now need to take another trip for a proper test.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin M and JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having just returned from a couple of weeks away I felt the need to do some jobs. While away the Alde heating started playing up noticeable on the cold evenings. Ours came with an header tank pump, not the best when it is close to your head when trying to sleep. The pump would sometimes fail to start and need a wiggle to encourage it. I decided to upgrade to an inline pump and it coincides with the need for the second fluid change at 7 years old. I ordered the parts and posted the price savings in another post.

The heating system in my Lunar is close to identical to the Unicorn I did a fluid change to previously. But this one was not as easy to drain as the Bailey. I am now convinced this is because the non return valve must have been faulty on the Bailey. The working valve on the Lunar made draining the boiler completely difficult. I had to do some mopping up!

Once drained, the pump was easy to fit. But I found that the convector behind the bench seat needed two fixing screws missed out in the original build and some pipe supports. I got Comma GG40 as recommended by Alde. But I got concentrated on line, and also deionised water from Tesco. Total £34 compared to over £100 using ready to use fluid. Always pays to research and shop around.

The system filled up up by pumping into the flow pipe through the header tank. Not too much bleeding required. Pump worked straight away.

Second improvement. I fitted an anti-scald thermostat as in the picture. I believe Manufacturers now fit these at least to higher end vans. It should help with preventing the stupidly hot water at the sink and make controlling the shower easier.

I had a few issues with leaks which now seem cured, hence the use of kitchen paper to try and detect any water.

I should have taken more pics but this is the finished job. Pump is the blue bit in the background.
I am hoping it works OK and the temperature is easy to moderate, but it does seem to fluctuate a bit. Time will tell.

The new pump…

View attachment 2385

Prep done to fit pump……

View attachment 2386

View attachment 2387

View attachment 2383View attachment 2384

John
A good days work and a useful improvemen.

Wrt fluid just like on our cars I always buy concentrated screen wash that has a very low freezing temperature. Then I can adjust the strength as winter comes on and then exits. Car coolant I so rarely have to use that I just keep a couple of litres of ready mix for each car. Reminds me I better search out my door seal anti icing compound …… Stiffe gummi etc 😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

The new pump…

View attachment 2385

Prep done to fit pump……

View attachment 2386

View attachment 2387

View attachment 2383View attachment 2384

John
Hi John can see somebody very handy with there hands excellent work

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Looks a good job, very well done. If the pump is noisy, a bit of old carpet underneath may help.

The pump is bracket mounted to the side of the boiler so off the floor. On full speed it is noisy. But when all the air had been expelled and the pump turned down to operating speed it is really quite. Big improvement on the previous header tank one.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts