inspection

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
hi

Currently looking at a second hand van near me, price okay and they have had a full inspection report which covers damp report , gas etc

would you still get your own or be quite happy with their report which was done last month

cheers

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the report is from a reputable source then it should be one you can rely on. Check who did it and try to check their record. NCC approved engineers are generally a good bet.
I would still get the caravans VIN number and do a CRiS report to make sure it is not on HP or stolen.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I appreciate that sellers might genuinely want to show the caravan they are selling is in fair condition and they may think having a report prepared is a good thing. Unfortunately there are a few peopel who might arrange for a glowing report to give the buyer a false sense of security. If you can vouch for your sellers integrity then you might be ok.

It would also be very suspicious if the person who carried out the survey was not a registered caravan technician or dealer and did not sign and date the report.

But, as you did not commission the survey you could not make a claim against the provider if there any.

For your own piece of mind you should commission your own report.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
hi

Currently looking at a second hand van near me, price okay and they have had a full inspection report which covers damp report , gas etc

would you still get your own or be quite happy with their report which was done last month

cheers
Was the inspection done by an AWS or MCEA registered technician? Why was the caravan servcied at the same time as the inspoection?

The damp inspection should have diagrams of the shape of a caravan with the damp percentages marked on the diagram. A tick sheet is as much use as a wet paper bag.

BTW how old is the caravan and what is the model? If under 6 years old then the damp warranty can be transferred providing the caravan has had its annual servcei done on time!

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
I have messaged a lot of questions from your excellent advice will keep you posted. It will either be silence or if a genuine seller they will come back with the answers.

Have also asked what type of history it has, was it out twice a year or every weekend, how many owners etc

will keep you posted and thanks again

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
hi , I have asked about the service history also. We were going to always buy from a dealer for the warranty but this is maybe a good starter caravan before spending a bigger amount

will need to be really sure before we even go and see it

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We brought our present caravan private just to see if i could do it again and then we are going to upgrade it to a 4 berth when we are ready .
Our van was a one owner from new it came with service history and a lot of paperwork it was check cris / Finance free
So far it is dampfree
So i really hope it a good buy for you (good luck )

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
hi , I have asked about the service history also. We were going to always buy from a dealer for the warranty but this is maybe a good starter caravan before spending a bigger amount

will need to be really sure before we even go and see it
Many do the same. We bought our first caravan from travellers who were permenently site in very nice homes. At the time we did not know about damp etc but when we traded it in 3 months later the dealer did an inspection and no damp. Strangely enough the same travellers then bought the caravan from the dealer to sell on.
Many years later we needed to buy a caravan privately again and thought we were a lot wiser. Did all the checks and everything seem to be working and damp free. Paid and took it away. However when checking I had checked the wall behind the top nearside cushion, but had not checked the bottom part under the bunk. It turned out to be very damp. When trading it in the dealer ignored the damp.
However it then turned out that the seller who was supposed to be an invidual was selling caravans for a living. We reported him to TS who apparently also notified the tax people..

Reactions: sunnydays
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the seller has a good service history done by AWS technicians and the most recent one was too that’s a good starting point. Used frequently can be a good thing as equipment is kept operating. Many on this forum use their vans frequently, or used to, and I would have no qualms about buying one of their vans subject to the recommended checks. Also look at its internal and external state. Does it look cared for?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If the seller has a good service history done by AWS technicians and the most recent one was too that’s a good starting point. Used frequently can be a good thing as equipment is kept operating. Many on this forum use their vans frequently, or used to, and I would have no qualms about buying one of their vans subject to the recommended checks. Also look at its internal and external state. Does it look cared for?
Hi Clive good point ours was ok inside but the outside looks like it was worst for wear i gave it 2/10 but if you look now you would never know. i only brought it because it came with a excellent service history from new.

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
not been too see it , am testing how true things are at present by asking questions as above . so far silence from the seller.

this is what I asked
firstly how many owners has it had has it been serviced regularly is it CRIS registered can you give us a history of its usage, ie was it only out a couple of times a year or was it out all over UK etc every month what company completed the report for you

will see what comes back if anything

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Has it been serviced recently? The OP only refers to an Inspection report?
Sunnydays, can you tell us the year make and model and price of your proposed purchase please?
If I was spending thousands then imo it is a no brainer. Use your own qualified caravan engineer for a full inspection.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't buy a caravan with your heart, use your head. The law recognises its the buyers responsibility to make sure the goods are fit for purpose by making all relevant enquiries before buying - Cavate emptor.

Sellers have an interest in making goods as appealing as possible, but as a buyer you need to look for anything that may be unsatisfactory, and being new to hobby, you probably dont have the experience to spot some of teh tell tail signs.

I strongly recommend you either take a experienced caravanner with you or employ a qualified caravan engineer to do a buyers inspection. Money well spent, as some caravan issues can be quite expensive to put right.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do agree we need more information on the report. If this is an NICC approved engineer or an MCEA one then it should be fine.
If the seller had the report prepared for him to show to prospective buyers, then there is comeback if it is wrong. If the engineer is aware that prospective purchasers will probably rely on it then it is foreseeable they would suffer if it is wrong and a duty is owed to them.

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
Well folks a wee update, as expected no answer to the questions so thats me walking away. Might we genuine but enough markers for me to go not for me thanks

I am a switched on person and can see red flags , however as caravans were not my top ten topics this site and others have been amazing at improving my knowledge and awareness. Most folk will , and I include me prior to lurking around sites this this, go nice looking van and possibly buy a heap of rubbish. I am aware I could still buy a heap of rubbish lol

thanks again folks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It may be wise you buy your first caravan from a dealer as you are then covered by CRA 2015 which allows you to reject the caravan for a full refund in the first 30 days and thereafter in the 1st six months, you have to give the dealer and opportunity to repair before rejecting. Just make sure you use a reputable dealer and not some backstreet jobbie!

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
thanks , we were always going to use a dealer but saw this on a certain site and it was near us . We are not looking again , stick to the plan thats what we will do , dont go off the track looking for shiny coin

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it all depends what your budget is for your caravan like what Buckman says with dealer it will come with warranty and some extras thrown in .
If buying private i would buy a one owner caravan from new and it will come with all of it paperwork and service stamps .
Look at the condition inside and out then you will know it been well look after
Take damp meter when you go to a caravan dealers you be very surprise i found some with damp look at what everyone has put down on here .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst a pre owned caravan may come with its service booked stamped, make sure it also has its service invoices too. In the case of Swift these service invoices will have to have been uploaded to Swift’s database fir that caravan in order to maintain and transfer its warranty. Mine had a fully stamped book but not all services had been uploaded to Swift. It took quite a while to track down the dealerships and obtain redacted copies which Swift accepted. Not sure what Bailey Eldiss and Coachman do.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
As you see from another thread on the forum there has been a flurry of excitement in caravan sales since covid and overseas travel difficulties. You might find dealerships with exceedingly low stocks. However bear in mind that your warranty ion a used van is likely to be with the selling dealership and therefore buying locally has great advantage when you want servicing or any items that occur under warranty. In this respect different to the car market where you could buy but have serviced at a franchised garage.
When we bought our Elddis we had examined several private sales vans and were disappointed on every occasion, so kept our eyes on local dealership stocks and even then didn't buy the first we saw that met our needs! Good hunting!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some years ago we brought a brand new Bailey Ranger 460/4 from a caravan dealer it came with a warranty and included a starter pack .
We kept it for five years and it was well maintained service book stamp up and we decided to upgrade put it in preloved we had someone come a long way he paid a deposit and rest when he pick it up and we did not lose much .
The buyer was really pleased.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks , we were always going to use a dealer but saw this on a certain site and it was near us . We are not looking again , stick to the plan thats what we will do , dont go off the track looking for shiny coin
Don't discount private sales completely, some are completely genuine, and can represent a great purchase, provided you do your home work, and ask the right questions before you agree to purchase.

When it comes to second hand caravans, Private or dealer take your time. It may seem daft to check, but ensure the caravan is at the owners address - Check bills or receipts for name and address. Make sure its the owner actually selling it.

Dealers are obliged under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act to offer accurate information about the goods they are selling, But you as the buyer are obliged to ask what you want or need to know before you agree to buy, so think carefully about the structure of any questions you may have. Use open questions that get a comprehensive answer. For example its well known that damp can be a major problem in caravans. If you ask "Does the caravan have any damp?" if the caravan has been kept under cover for a number of weeks it may be dry, so the dealer could honestly say "it has no damp" But if you ask "Has the caravan any history of damp" the dealer is obliged to offer a fuller answer.

If you think you are interested and you want to secure the caravan so you don't lose it to another customer, offer a deposit but make it clear it is subject to you having a satisfactory independent inspection report, and other checks such as CRIS and HPI reports. If they wont offer a written receipt for the deposit accepting your right to a refund if the reports are unsatisfactory, then walk away.

If you can, pay your deposit of at least £100 by credit card, as this bring you protection of section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

If the seller tries to block you getting an independent inspection carried out, or tries to push you into buying quickly - ask your self why? What are they afraid of?

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Beachball

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts