Insurance after Theft

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi, after 14 years incident free caravanning, we have unfortunately lost our dream van, an 8ft wide twin axle fixed bed etc.

Hopefully all will be well with the insurance paying out. We can get a new van on the new for old insurance, but only if we can get a quick settlement.
However when I have tried to get insurance, non of the comparison sites will even quote because I have a £25k theft claim.

Just wondering if anybody else can share their experience of insurance after theft.

No point getting a new van if we cant insure it

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Comparison sites do not represent the whole of the industry.

What about the company you have previously insured with. Have they refused you cover?

Then there are the clubs who have set up specific deals for caravanners.

There are still some high street insurance brokers who might be able to help

And there are some insurance companies that deal direct or those who have earned a good reputation for cover and managing claims.

Shop around.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Comparison sites do not represent the whole of the industry.

What about the company you have previously insured with. Have they refused you cover?

Then there are the clubs who have set up specific deals for caravanners.

There are still some high street insurance brokers who might be able to help

And there are some insurance companies that deal direct or those who have earned a good reputation for cover and managing claims.

Shop around.

I am surprised that people bother with comparison sites for caravan insurance.

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Tbh I don’t see anything wrong with comparison sites if you have a good insurance history.
I’ll just have to look a bit more specifically, I’ll try the clubs.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Have you checked your current insurance for either protected or guaranteed NCD? before entering your details. I do find it odd that nobody will quote you. Are you sure its not the comparison site needing to refer to the underwriters?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I strongly suspect the offers on the comparison sites are just the top few policies that insurers offer. Their ability to offer lower policy prices may well be derived from only accepting what they consider to be low risk people. I.e. with a zero or small claims record.

As I suggested above, try your original insurer or shop around the whole market something comparison sites do not do.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
One compare site has recently been fined by the FSA for unfair practices prejudicial to the policy holder. Remember not all insurers subscribe to these sites. They offer cheap prices by pruning back the scope of the cover. As said earlier go to your current Insurer and the Clubs

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
totally agree with the comparison sites only offering the ‘easy’ applications.

That was why I was asking in here if people had experience they could share

Anyway, looks like the insurance are paying out, so I put a deposit down on a new van today. I spoke to the salesman (although I think he is the manger) of a large dealership, told him the predicament. He gave me 2 numbers to ring. One company wants us to put some posts around the van to stop it being moved and they are quite specific on which locks etc are acceptable. But we have an insurance quote which due to a promotion By the van manufacturer, is 50% off when you have a new van from them.
So need some concrete and a good few hundred pound on some bollards, but hopefully back in business.

I am not sure if I am allowed to name the dealer and insurance on here.

as for the current insurer they have been fantastic at handling the claim, but the policy is now terminated and they do not accept people with a total loss theft in the sums of money we are talking

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Feedback helps a lot. The Forum Rules are straight forward .As a rule of thumb we are not allowed to mention any parties who have given poor service. However where praise is warranted naming is ok. However our Mods are the final arbiter. If in doubt don’t name.
I suspect your current Insurer is not one of the two Clubs. Playing Devils Advocate you have now been placed in a very difficult position. Technically you have been refused Insurance which must be declared to a potential new Insurer😥😥.
I feel your current Insurers may not appreciate the potential problem they may have created.

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
We have been straight up with the new insurer.
Honesty is the best policy.
As a word of warning to others, I was asked to provide proof of purchase for my caravan locks, or photographs of the locks in place on the van, neither which I had, but I did supply all the evidence of the aftermath.
So my advice to anybody is, next time you lock your van away, take a few pictures in your phone, takes a few seconds and may save a lot aggravation and worry.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have been straight up with the new insurer.
Honesty is the best policy.
As a word of warning to others, I was asked to provide proof of purchase for my caravan locks, or photographs of the locks in place on the van, neither which I had, but I did supply all the evidence of the aftermath.
So my advice to anybody is, next time you lock your van away, take a few pictures in your phone, takes a few seconds and may save a lot aggravation and worry.
Thanks for the information of the caravan locks i take a picture of ours next time at storage

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the information of the caravan locks i take a picture of ours next time at storage
Once everything thing is finalised I shall post a picture of a not inexpensive Hitchcock which was removed from our van. Not saying anything I will just post the picture and let people make up their own mind.
Need the insurance payment to clear first 😀

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not sure if I am allowed to name the dealer and insurance on here.

The Forum rules state that posts that are about poor service and such are not allowed to stay as the other party either does not know about the Forum or cannot reply , or in certain cases threaten legal action against the Forum owners or authors of the post or the issue is already subject to legal action by either party.

However, naming companies who offer good service is allowed and there is no problem with that.
We quite often recommend users with specific problems to companies who can offer the best resolution, and it is always good to know of reputable companies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Technically you have been refused Insurance which must be declared to a potential new Insurer
A refusal to insure is not necessarily a red flag. It could be the proposer has asked the insurance company to cover something that's outside the scope of their policies. Nothing implied or wrong with that.

The problem is if a policy that has been issued has subsequently been cancelled or voided, these are the red flags which indicate that insurance was either obtained under false pretences or the insured has acted illegally when trying to make a claim.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi, after 14 years incident free caravanning, we have unfortunately lost our dream van, an 8ft wide twin axle fixed bed etc.

Hopefully all will be well with the insurance paying out. We can get a new van on the new for old insurance, but only if we can get a quick settlement.
However when I have tried to get insurance, non of the comparison sites will even quote because I have a £25k theft claim.

Just wondering if anybody else can share their experience of insurance after theft.

No point getting a new van if we cant insure it

Thanks
Did you try and get a quote from your previous insurer, surley they must quote to you. Maybe another reason to go with one of the main clubs,

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Did you try and get a quote from your previous insurer, surley they must quote to you. Maybe another reason to go with one of the main clubs,
After a Total Loss claim the policy is terminated and I would not fit their criteria to take out further insurance with them.

Anyway, thanks to Paul Simpson in Sales at Salop Leisure, we have put a deposit on a new van and as it is a Swift, he directed us to Swiftsure insurance, as you get 50% discount if you are buying a new van. (he did also recommend another insurer, but after the first quote we just did not see the point of trying them)
Yes, we have to add additional security in the means of posts around the van and we have selected a bigger excess, but the policy is only just over half what we paid last year. So I consider that a result.

My wife went through all the security requirements with them and they were extremely helpful.

Interestingly after speaking to quite a few salesman this week, Paul was the only one who recommended anywhere. (He did recommend them before we bought the van, as I wanted to check how much we would have to pay before we committed)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A refusal to insure is not necessarily a red flag. It could be the proposer has asked the insurance company to cover something that's outside the scope of their policies. Nothing implied or wrong with that.

The problem is if a policy that has been issued has subsequently been cancelled or voided, these are the red flags which indicate that insurance was either obtained under false pretences or the insured has acted illegally when trying to make a claim.
Prof, In the OPs situation would you declare to your potential new Insurers the refusal by the current Insurer their refusal to continue cover?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prof, In the OPs situation would you declare to your potential new Insurers the refusal by the current Insurer their refusal to continue cover?

I would certainly tell them about the loss, but they usually ask anyway. But the reason for the proposal being turned down by the original insurer was not for any breech of T&C's or illegitimate reasons, it was simply the proposers profile no long fitted the insurers client criteria.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The same insurer should be approached and they will asses the premium on the circumstances of the theft. You can also try ringing round other insurers but you are unlikely to get an answer on the web sites as they only take standard cases and after a theft you are not one.

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
The same insurer should be approached and they will asses the premium on the circumstances of the theft.
As with many policies, in the event of a total loss claim, the contract of insurance is terminated. The existing insurer will not requote.
I have posted elsewhere, but we have got cover on a new Swift for half what we paid last year. We have to put some more security around the van but at least we are able to get insurance. Swift Insurance are doing 50% discount

Aug 18, 2021
Visit site
I have experienced similar issues, I recently had my prized caravan stolen and after the ordeal of dealing with the insurance company have ordered a new van. I preparation I have looked around for a quote and went to a well known company. They provided a quote which came in at £1600 which seems bonkers when I have now moved to a Gold cassoa site and obtained the best locks I can buy. If anyone can suggest a sensible insurance company I would be grateful.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have experienced similar issues, I recently had my prized caravan stolen and after the ordeal of dealing with the insurance company have ordered a new van. I preparation I have looked around for a quote and went to a well known company. They provided a quote which came in at £1600 which seems bonkers when I have now moved to a Gold cassoa site and obtained the best locks I can buy. If anyone can suggest a sensible insurance company I would be grateful.
Try Ripe Insurance, My Insurance or phone Beckie Cook at A-plan in Bromsgrove for quotes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dare I suggest? Try one of the Clubs.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
+1 for trying the Clubs. They have always had a good reputation in settling claims, and that’s what you want when things go awry.

Aug 18, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and I will try Ripe. The one company that quoted the high figure was a club linked company, no names here, but I was quite surprised. I will keep looking. 'Otherclive' you are so right, I have just settled my claim with my insurance company, they were not, as far as I know a club company but I thought reputable none the less and the whole process has been nothing short of a terrible ordeal. Their customer care has been awful and the whole concept of new for Old is very dodgy. New prices rocketed after I took my insurance out and indeed after the theft of my van so I was thinking they need to replace with a new caravan. NO they will only pay up to the sum insured despite a price hike after the theft. Dealing with the Insurance has been almost as painful as losing the van in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts