insurance costs

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
18 month ago when i insured my 58 plate galaxy 2.0tdci ghia i paid £234.00 to insure it fully comp protected no claims bonus and legal protection, i sold the car and bought a ford transit 2.2 tdci limited which was valued at around the same as the galaxy at 22 thousand pounds, the cheapest i could insure the van for was £490, the broker said it was down to the van being a limited spec and that it was a target for the community we as caravanners know so well.
i had no choice but to pay this inflated premium as we have purchased a barn to convert to our retirement home in france and i need the van to take the materials etc with me, now comes the big shock, my insurance is due again my broker has appologised and says they can not get me any quotes below £800 i have tried all the comparison sites and rang just about every single insurance company i can find, the cheapest quote is £670.
i have over 20 years claim free driving im mid 40's i live in a nice part of cheshire the van is parked off road never used commercially is restricted to 10.000 miles per year and has tracker fitted yet my premium has increased by 60 %. all of the insurance companies i contacted said the same thing that premiums had risen by 40 to 70 % this year depending on vehicle.
out of interest i checked the price to insure my old galaxy and that too would now be £410 unfortunately for the next few years i need the van so im just going to have to pay.
our caravan is now up for sale as we are just not using it due to the barn project but imagine how much a year i would be paying if that too has gone up by 60 %, last year the premiuum was £435 so this year it would be £696 thats £1366 per year for the van and caravan. i just can not see how our hobby can stand such increases in basic costs, who else has such drastic increases in premiums through no fault of their own ?

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I read recently that a couple of the big insurance companies are being investigated for price fixing.The major companies use the same software to calculate the premium,so not really surprising they come out around the same.The favourite trick with insurers is to give you a cheap quote the first year then ramp it right up on the renewal.I also found contacting companies on line cheaper than the comparison sites,since the bigger agents no longer are on these sites.Worth a try

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts