Insurance Rip Off

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Just got my insurance renewal notice, £100 more than last year. Not had any claims during the year so being the sort who wont just accept things (or tight arse)I rang and got a quote elsewhere hey presto £100 cheaper. As I was on automatic renewal I wrote and cancelled the policy but then yesterday at about 4.00pm I got a phone call from said company asking why I had cancelled. When I told them it was price related they offered to discount the premium by £120.00. What a crap way to do business!!!!!!!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. Another annoying habit insurance companies have to to insure your personal clothing, etc. This, I have been told is already covered by the household policy. So why pay twice?

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Just an update on this, despite cancelling my policy in writing well before renewal date, I have just received the debit instructions. They have still taken the money from my account!!!!!!!!!

What more can I say *&*

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Graham,

Always, ALWAYS cancel your direct debit with your bank as well. In my experience, many companies carry out this disgraceful practice and, when confronted about it, blame it on a "computer error". It then takes a considerable length of time, not to mention numerous phone calls, letters etc., as well as all the hassle, for you to get your money refunded.

If you cancel your direct debit with your bank and they subsequently release the funds, they are responsible and you have much more clout with them with regard to getting your money back, threatening them with the banking ombudsman, closing your account etc.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Jane

If only it was that simple, I didn't have a direct debit with them. When you buy you can opt for "automatic renewal" upon expiry, a one off payment which they can take (unless of course you cancel)or in this case even if you cancel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. Another annoying habit insurance companies have to to insure your personal clothing, etc. This, I have been told is already covered by the household policy. So why pay twice?

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct, but you refuse the cover on your van and tell them you are already covered and this is taken off.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
i have recently moved house and have had to put my van in a secure storage compound with alarms cctv electronoc gates etc but my insurance company have put my excess from

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Firstly I would send them a letter stating the amount of interest you are losing by them having your money and telling them that they will have to pay this to you because its they're mistake so the longer you are waiting for your money the more they will have to pay you and secondly name and shame so we can all avoid this dodgy outfit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For many years I used the service of a local (many branches local to south Wales) insurance broker for both my car and caravan> Ichanged my vehicle from a 2.0 litre Omega to a 2.8 litre Fourtrack i.e. reducing from a group 13 to group 9. However the broker requested an additional

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - this seems appalling! - I say to my clients - get quotes from the firms direct and we will either match it or be lower and we are!!!

What happened to you is worthy of a complaint I think.

From Jan 14th this year Insurance brokers and the providers came under the FSA (they were unregulated before) I sugest you contact them and ask them to look into this.

No broker can insist you only deal with them - simply not on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - this seems appalling! - I say to my clients - get quotes from the firms direct and we will either match it or be lower and we are!!!

What happened to you is worthy of a complaint I think.

From Jan 14th this year Insurance brokers and the providers came under the FSA (they were unregulated before) I sugest you contact them and ask them to look into this.

No broker can insist you only deal with them - simply not on.
Unfortunately this was approx. 15 months ago and the dealings regarding premium hike and abuse were all verbal so would be hard now to prove.

I hope I have not offended you in any way - as I said there are good reliable brokers out there in all parts of the country. Unfortunately this has left a sour taste in my mouth regarding brokers.

If you recall under another posting I asked how can we recognise an honourable broker? This can be said about all professions - prior to further education I was employed as a building surveyor and possibley offended someone in my working life.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Refer to my posting of 31 Oct 2005 12:38 PM , have now recieved refund in the form of a cheque. Unfortunatly said insurance company have made it payable to someone else not myself. So not really a cheque more a worthless bit of paper. Clearly they must have major cash flow problems if they are deliberatly messing me about to delay a refund of

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts