Insurance which is best ??

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
After haveing caravans for years never owned a new one untill now picking my brand new van up on tuesday . I have never gone into which is best insurance company as long as it coverd me it was fine but now with a big investment comeing on tuesday i would like to have it coverd to the best there is out there i'm in the c&cc and can get a discount with my membership . Can anybody point me in the right direction

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's not as simple as going for the cheapest option, you need to check the policies to se what is covered, and if there are any special requirements such as the type of immobilisers or alarms you need to use, Will you be covered whilst you load it outside your house or at services whilst en route etc.

I'm sure Raywood will be along soon and he will probably advise checking the websites for the time it takes to settle claims and the insurers performance in help if the worst happens.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The proof is in the eating, as they say. I have only used the Caravan Club. And will stick with them. Others may be as good, better, or worse. I don’t know. But the claims I have made over the years, one was about £15000! We’re handled quickly and professionally. I could move and may save a little. But I won’t.

John

Reactions: Hutch and ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always look for companies that have a good track record for resolving claims, and/or a low level of complaints on the Ombudsman’s website. Many get five star reviews but these generally reflect the ease of buying the policy. So fir caravans I’ve always used CMHC , or CCC depending on the quotation. Must say when I had to make a claim CMHC were excellent. And that is what I want.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
One of the problems with buying insurance is that you only get to find out how good the product is, when it comes to making a claim. You can, generally, rely on those companies which regularly get positive reviews from those who have had to make claims.

As others have said, the 2 main clubs have a good reputation. There are some on here who will point out at every opportunity that the CAMC Caravan Cover is not an insurance policy; this is true, however it behaves in most respects in the same way as an insurance policy, and I am not aware of any major issues having arisen as a result of this.

If getting quotes from multiple sources, make sure that they are on a like for like basis; it is easy to make a quote much cheaper, if the insurer is basing it on a higher level of excess, for example.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have used both major clubs Insurance's but have stayed with CCC, after a claim for reversing into our garage and needing a new rear panel, no quibble at all and For us Cheaper than CaMC. Well worth the New For Old policy.

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for all the input i will ring the c&cc number up tommorow as i hate doing thing online would rather talk to a human being one to one

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the input i will ring the c&cc number up tommorow as i hate doing thing online would rather talk to a human being one to one
Although this years Increase with the CCC was about £50, after a quote from the CaMC they were £100 more. But for a 10 year old van , New for old at £28 k. I stayed with the CCC.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Another one for CaravanGuard just had a renewal and still thinking of using them again so far very happy with there service they provide

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Another one for CaravanGuard just had a renewal and still thinking of using them again so far very happy with there service they provide

As said earlier, you only know how good an insurance company is when you make a claim. We have made 2 claims with CAMC and one with Towergate and no issue at all.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
As said earlier, you only know how good an insurance company is when you make a claim. We have made 2 claims with CAMC and one with Towergate and no issue at all.
When we first started out towing that over thirty years ago we made a claim with CAMC someone broke into the storage site where our caravan was stored took the water heater and cassette toilet left it in a right mess and we made a claim we were very happy with there service .they provided .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I was with the C&CC until this year, they were excellent but recent changes there and the choice of insurer has put me off and I moved to Caravanguard who I know are excellent although it did cost me a bit more. Having worked in insurance all my life I am fully aware of the cheaper policies often having faults in the cover or very hard claims handling or just poor claims service. Cheap generally means something has to be cut out somewhere, and if your caravan is worth thousands then you need to protect it with a good policy. The same applies to your car insurance by the way.
The best cover will have a DEFAQTO five star rating and if an advert does not quote that assume the worst and go elsewhere.
The best cover is I think from the CAMH but their quote was eyewatering for me so I went for the very good Caravanguard. You could try NFU and SAGA as other decent policies.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was with the C&CC until this year, they were excellent but recent changes there and the choice of insurer has put me off and I moved to Caravanguard who I know are excellent although it did cost me a bit more. Having worked in insurance all my life I am fully aware of the cheaper policies often having faults in the cover or very hard claims handling or just poor claims service. Cheap generally means something has to be cut out somewhere, and if your caravan is worth thousands then you need to protect it with a good policy. The same applies to your car insurance by the way.
The best cover will have a DEFAQTO five star rating and if an advert does not quote that assume the worst and go elsewhere.
The best cover is I think from the CAMH but their quote was eyewatering for me so I went for the very good Caravanguard. You could try NFU and SAGA as other decent policies.
I believe LV+ now cover caravans. Not to be confused with the recent takeover reports as that is LV the life insurance company totally separated.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My dealings with LV as the insurer of the other driver who crashed into me means I would never touch them. Even though they knew what my employment had been and that I knew what I was entitled to they simply told me I was wrong and they would not pay until it became clear that to continue defending would end up with them in court and then they just paid what I had asked for. They have now been bought by Allianz.
The Towergate offering is not for me. They are cheaper if you only want accidental cover when travelling but that is not good enough for most people and if you do not read their web site carefully you could end up very short on cover.
Ripe put the insurance with AVIVA, but use their own adjusters who get terrible reviews on the web. On the basis of those I would avoid them personally.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use Towergate caravan insurance when we were seasonal and on site a few years ago and was very happy with there cover that they provided at that time A friend recommended me about Ripe caravan insurance he said look at there reviews on Trustpilot excellent that why we gave them ago but now with CaravanGuard

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My dealings with LV as the insurer of the other driver who crashed into me means I would never touch them. Even though they knew what my employment had been and that I knew what I was entitled to they simply told me I was wrong and they would not pay until it became clear that to continue defending would end up with them in court and then they just paid what I had asked for. They have now been bought by Allianz.
The Towergate offering is not for me. They are cheaper if you only want accidental cover when travelling but that is not good enough for most people and if you do not read their web site carefully you could end up very short on cover.
Ripe put the insurance with AVIVA, but use their own adjusters who get terrible reviews on the web. On the basis of those I would avoid them personally.

What I find odd about your LV experience is it sounds like you dealt with them direct. If I was hit in an accident I would just let my own insurance company deal with the other parties insurance. No stress that way. In fact, I believe companies would rather do that as dealing with the public can get involved.

I did have a problem with LV and car insurance one year when my premium jumped up. So I went elsewhere for about 4 years, I am back with them now as they gave me the best quote.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts