Insurance while being repaired

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Our 2006 Bailey Pageant needs some repair work doing after it's annual service at Discover Leisure in Chorley found some water ingress.

Discover don't actually do the repair work themselves, it goes to a company called C+S Caravans in Leyland. They've made the claim to Bailey and got it approved, have the parts in, and are waiting for us to deliver it to them for the work.

What's got me confused is their covering letter stating:

"We would like to point out to you that we have no responsibility, other than at common law, for your caravan and it's contents and we would expect you to have appropriate insurance cover in place.

Furthermore we are aware of the differing attitudes of insurers towards your property whilst in our possession and we strongly recommend that you check with your insurers before you bring your unit to us, to make sure it is still insured whilst it is with us.

We are aware of losses that have occurred which subsequently have proved to be uninsured because the insurer did not cover the loss at the dealership and we would want to avoid this happening to you."

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello David,

First and foremost do check with your insurers about the cover. Hopefully the situation won't arise where you need to claim.

It does anger me when companies try to deny liability for customer property when in their care. I believe it is fundamentally wrong.

Whilst in my view it is an anti customer activity, it seems that it may be legal because of the clauses in the manufacturer guarantee under which the repair is being done.

If you do find it necessary to claim on your insurance, then I suggest you ask your insurers to claim any excess payments and increased premiums from the company that failed to look after your property, or maybe even consider suing the company for above monies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts