Insurance

Nov 17, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks I'm looking to buy my first van soon for the summer season what's a ballpark figure for insurance for a 4 berth and does secure storage make a difference.
Looking forward to caravan life

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have a 2011 2 berth Elddis and paid 215 for this year new for old with Caravan Guard. Your question is a bit difficult as a lot will depend on your van's age, value and whether you insure for residual value or like me new-for-old. You will find that all insurers expect you to have at least hitch lock + wheel lock and some rear steady locks too so don't forget that when considering the overall price of setting up your unit. I would consult the rearward pages of the magazine and ring a few companies, and if you are a club member (C&CC or C&MC) they will happily quote you too.
Best of luck!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As above,lots of factors. My last an was worth about £1000,insurance was £50 for year.This van worth about £10,000,insurance is about £180 a year.both insured with the CAMC .i store mine at work in a locked compound with hitchlock and wheel lock(neither lock had to be a specific one) some will want specific gold standard type locks.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget, that if you are going to insure on a "New for Old" basis, you will need to have a sum insured which will cover the as new cost of your caravan, plus any additions, such as motor movers and contents left in the 'van.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
My premium for our caravan with the C&CC on a new for old basis for about £30,000 replacement value is a little over £300 per year. We do store it on a declared secure compound and have a few years no-claim discount.

As others have suggested it pays to shop around and also to read the small print to make sure that you are getting what you think you are getting.

https://wandering.me.uk/insurance/

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The premium will depend on the value, cover selected, security and possibly your location. We get discounts from the policy for using CASSOA gold storage and an approved wheel lock.
Probably the best for claims service are the two clubs although the CAMH has always been more expensive. With a value of £22,000 on a new for old basis we pay just over £300 with the C&CC but did have a claim two years ago.
Be very aware of the cheapest quotes if you use a comparison site as they are often too cheap to be true and they can need to be very hard on claims settlements and staffing levels to achieve that low figure.
Caravanguard (RSA), SAGA and NFU are good reliable companies outside the clubs. That is not a comprehensive list of the best but should be a good starting point.

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site
I'm new to caravaning after a long break from it. I tried caravan gaurd caravan club, best deal I got was from Adain flux. New for old. £112 cheaper with more benefits.

• Wow
Reactions: Dodger524
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm new to caravaning after a long break from it. I tried caravan gaurd caravan club, best deal I got was from Adain flux. New for old. £112 cheaper with more benefits.

you only really know if you have got the Best Deal when claim time arrives. The two Clubs have an excellent record of sorting things out when the worts happens. I found Adrian Flux very difficult to deal with when I used them to insure a modified off road vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are numerous reports of the cheapest policies throwing up difficulties when making claims, so going for the cheapest can prove to be a false economy when you actually need to use it.

Be wary about sites that suggest their's is "secure" Check the small print for who is responsible if their "security" fails and your caravan is stolen or damaged!

Generally discounts on insurance policies for using Cassoa sites do not offset the extra cost of using them, so don't be blinkered by the Cassoa hype.

Sadly the most effective way of improving your security is to make your caravan less attractive than its neighbour, more visible security devises, and to clearly show there are no valuables or other pickings in the van.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I looked at the site but this does not specify who the insurer is which is important as they control the service and claims payment levels if things go wrong The emphasis I feel on cheap rather than anything else, which would put me off, and there is no reference to a DEFAQTO rating, which is normal with the best policies.
I cannot say the cover is bad, but there is nothing on the web site that would encourage me to go with them. Personally I would avoid the cheapest policy, as in general it can only be achieved at the expense of other things.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I looked at the site but this does not specify who the insurer is which is important as they control the service and claims payment levels if things go wrong The emphasis I feel on cheap rather than anything else, which would put me off, and there is no reference to a DEFAQTO rating, which is normal with the best policies.
I cannot say the cover is bad, but there is nothing on the web site that would encourage me to go with them. Personally I would avoid the cheapest policy, as in general it can only be achieved at the expense of other things.
I looked at the site
Sorry, to which site are you referring?
Adrian Flux I guess.
I wondered if it was Adrian Flux, I found their defaqto rating here: https://www.defaqto.com/star-ratings/caravan/touring-caravan-insurance/ it's 3 Stars.

Reactions: Dodger524 and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wondered if it was Adrian Flux, I found their defaqto rating here: https://www.defaqto.com/star-ratings/caravan/touring-caravan-insurance/ it's 3 Stars.

Surprisingly quite a lot of consumers do not realise that a DEFAQTO rating only refers to the product, proposition or service being offers by the seller. It does not rate the sellers quality of service. Also sellers will often display star quality reviews from other review sites. It these tend to refer to the ease of purchase by phone or internet. Very few review sites cover the business end of insurance. IE when things go wrong how well is your claim handled. And unfortunately it’s that end of the insurance life cycle that really matters.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Three stars does not look good. The best have five.
I appreciate that it does not refer to service standards but you need the best cover as well so if it does not have five stars then you are not getting the best cover available.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Three stars does not look good. The best have five.
I appreciate that it does not refer to service standards but you need the best cover as well so if it does not have five stars then you are not getting the best cover available.
I agree, and that is probably the reason why they don't mention the defaqto rating on their website!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I used them to insure a quite heavily modified Pajero off roader they seemed to use several different underwriters and swamped me with online documents for the very slightest change. Perhaps because they use a variety of underwriters they have difficulty meeting DEFAQTO offerings that the more mainstream insurers offer.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Despite the different insurers you seem to be getting the same policy. If any of the companies would not accept a policy wording that met the five star test then either they should not use them or give you the choice between the two.
The C&CC use different firms but still have the five star rating.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ballpark figure for insurance for a 4 berth and does secure storage make a difference.
You would have to check the wording of the terms and conditions to see if any policy a, offers a discount for using a Cassoa site, or b, requires you to use a Cassoa site. Two things you should know. Cassoa sites do not sell security, and are not immune to having caravans in storage damaged or lost, and if your caravan is involved, it's your insurance not theirs that carries the liability.
If an insurance policy does offer a discount for using a Cassoa site, the discount is very unlikely to cover the additional cost of using the site.

You will have to weigh up in your own mind if you think the Cassoa sites are worth the extra cost.

Reactions: Beachball
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The policy cost is normally a straight percentage of the sum insured, so a £20,000 caravan will cost twice that of a £10,000 one, so a ball park figure is not possible.
The base premium is a simple percentage of the sum insured although some insurers also take into account the area in which it is normally kept.
You then can get discounts for secure storage, security devices and even for having been on a caravan driving course. These are generally not great but all help.
There is also a no claims bonus included which means that someone new to caravans is likely to pay a fair bit more than those who have been towing for long periods.
You do need to get quotes to see what you can get but I would avoid the very cheap quotes as they can be not as good as apolicy or service. The best policies will have a DEFAQTO five star rating, if it does not have that something is likely to be missing from the cover.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DEFAQTO is an independent financial consultancy that study and rate financial products. Their star rating relates to the comprehensiveness of the product being offered against what DEFAQTO consider that people are looking for. In that respect it is a useful comparator. But it needs to be remembered that DEFAQTO do not rate the quality of the service provided by the seller of the product. IE the insurance company in this case.
Most reviews of insurance companies tend to relate to how easy it was to buy the policy, not how good or bad was the experience when making a claim.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Totally agree with Clive; defaqto is imo a bit of a pointless measure. The cost of the insurance's biggest factors are if you want new for old or not-obviously not is cheaper and the value of the caravan; we insured our £4k Avondale for £150 our 2016 £15k pegasus for £250 and our £35k Buc now costs us £330.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You cannot use reviews that cover the ease of setting up the policy. They all make it easy so it means nothing. The claims service is the vital point but also cover should be right. I have seen some pretty daunting conditions ane exclusions in policies including one that excluded faulty heaters.
The DEFAQTO rating is very good indication of what you can expect from the insurance. The companies that give the best cover will normally have the best service, because they are the ones setting the standard. I accept that there may be exceptions, so also look at the price. Undercutting others simply means that savings have to be made elsewhere, service and claims are the only two substantial cost and one or the other or both have to be affected.
The whole subject is a minefield so starting with the things you can check is worthwhile.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My 2008 Abbey GTS 215 is insured with Caravan Guard i was very happy with there service with the amount of discounts you get and also i don"t feel like i am paying over the top ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts