Insured car for daughter

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As my daughter and I are going to Leicester next week she thought it might be a good idea for her to be insured to drive the car. I agreed as it will be the shortest day and we will be driving back at night.
So I phoned the insurer for a quote for a month and one until the policy expired in March. The short one was £15 and the longer one £15.11. Yes an extra 11 pence. £15 is the basic admin fee for any policy change. So four months insurance for 11 pence , what a bargain.
Christmas has come early for the “ little girl” who no doubt will be offering to drive me around until spring arrives.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I put my son on my licence. It went DOWN, I think by about £15. Then I added my daughter. And it went down a bit more. I was thinking of putting the whole street on.

They both have clean licences held for 20 plus years.

I can’t follow the logic. We could all share my car and triple the mileage used. As it happens I think my son has used it once.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Otherclive
As my daughter and I are going to Leicester next week she thought it might be a good idea for her to be insured to drive the car. I agreed as it will be the shortest day and we will be driving back at night.
So I phoned the insurer for a quote for a month and one until the policy expired in March. The short one was £15 and the longer one £15.11. Yes an extra 11 pence. £15 is the basic admin fee for any policy change. So four months insurance for 11 pence , what a bargain.
Christmas has come early for the “ little girl” who no doubt will be offering to drive me around until spring arrives.
Hi otherclive i hope you have a nice time and keep safe

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I put my son on my licence. It went DOWN, I think by about £15. Then I added my daughter. And it went down a bit more. I was thinking of putting the whole street on.

I can’t follow the logic. We could all share my car and triple the mileage used. As it happens I think my son has used it once.

John

We have mileage caps on the cars, but as you say the logic is strange. Perhaps the insurer believes that if the kids are driving the car it’s less time at risk for us oldies driving it.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a cousin who moved house now lives in Market Bosworth sent us a email and my brother for lunch but we both had to cancelled . We arranged a new date near Easter if we are out of Tier 3

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

John
Hi JcLoughie did you check with your insurance more the merrier ?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi JcLoughie did you check with your insurance more the merrier ?

The whole street was a joke. 😀. But if I remember, my policy allows for up to 5 named drivers. The two I named are mature people with very good driving and insurance records. I did not ask if they had to be related.

I have heard that men putting their wife onto their policy, even as a provisional driver, results in a premium reduction. I can’t try that as she refuses to get a licence. Says she is too used to being chauffeured around.

If you have not already tried it. And if you are able. Next time you renew try adding one or two family members. See what happens.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The whole street was a joke. 😀. But if I remember, my policy allows for up to 5 named drivers. The two I named are mature people with very good driving and insurance records. I did not ask if they had to be related.

I have heard that men putting their wife onto their policy, even as a provisional driver, results in a premium reduction. I can’t try that as she refuses to get a licence. Says she is too used to being chauffeured around.

If you have not already tried it. And if you are able. Next time you renew try adding one or two family members. See what happens.

John
My Wife is on my insurance so i have got a premium reduction and i might try another family member .next time it due

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although my wife has never driven the Jeep she is a named driver on the policy and I am a named driver on the policy for her car. It does make a difference to the insurance premium. For the caravan the policy is in both our names.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Although my wife has never driven the Jeep she is a named driver on the policy and I am a named driver on the policy for her car. It does make a difference to the insurance premium. For the caravan the policy is in both our names.

. One area where having your wife named can cost a lot extra are bank loans. Four years ago we decided on a loan for the caravan as loan interest rates were lower than returns on savings. So we toddled off to the bank and did all the necessaries only to be told that the interest rate was 8%. When I questioned why it had gone from 3.5% the bank manager explained that it was because my wife had no credit history. Our credit cards are in my name as are phone accounts. So understandably I am now the sole owner of a caravan and my wife has her own credit card and shock horror her own Amazon account. She hit this problem years ago when she went into Curry’s to buy a VCR recorder on a 6 months no interest scheme. But the lack of credit rating scotched that plan. So she just paid cash up front. Strange old world eh?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having a second driver on the insurance can reduce the premium in some cases where the second driver is deemed a better risk than the insured party. Where young drivers are concerned adding a parent can be very useful. If you add a second diver of a similar risk to you the difference is unlikely to be very large but if you start getting past two then the premiums will eventually rise on the basis the car is being used far more.
If your wife does not tow there could be problems if you are taken ill and need to claim for someone to recover the caravan to your home under some insurance policies. You need to check, but it may exclude cover if there is another driver with a licence covering the combination. Some will refer to no other suitable driver, which should cover you, and if the combination is over 3,500 kg and the second driver has not got B+E on their licence there should be no problem. It is something to watch though.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife never driven the Tiguan but she is a second driver on the insurance she looking forward to trying it out , when we brought our present caravan we paid cash and like you joint names on the caravan insurance

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
You can also wrangle a reduction on your recovery policy, it works with the RAC Arrival. Had the renewal which was approx £27.00 more this year, do the usual phone call say I aint paying that so they reduced it back to the same as last years premium.
And then I said I wanted to add another vehicle to the policy, how much ?
That will be £8.00 cheaper, weird world.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't understand the reduction for a second car on the RAC breakdown policy. It increases the risk of a call out so it should go up. We use Green Flag as far cheaper but not negotiable.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Don't understand the reduction for a second car on the RAC breakdown policy. It increases the risk of a call out so it should go up. We use Green Flag as far cheaper but not negotiable.
Hi Ray, I didnt understand it either, but I'll take it.
I did look at greenflag a couple of years back but for some reason it didnt work for me, cant remember the actual reason but it MAY (?) have had something to do with a length restriction, possibly.

EDIT: greenflag have a length restriction of 7.0m

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just got the bill for mine today. £108. But that includes £27 Boundless subscription. Delux cover, but not personal (extra £30).

Car and caravan. All Europe including home cover.

NB Boundless = Brianial rescue and LV.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to use Britannia who have always had a good reputation, and are good value for the options available. Since then it’s been Caravan Club Green Flag. When we no longer have a caravan we will probably move back to Britannia.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have also use the caravan club green flag but at present my car is with RAC and the caravan has been added but i have made a note of Britannia .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just got the bill for mine today. £108. But that includes £27 Boundless subscription. Delux cover, but not personal (extra £30).

Car and caravan. All Europe including home cover.

NB Boundless = Brianial rescue and LV.

John
What does Boundless = Britannia Rescue and LV mean. I thought Boundless was a membership club arising from the Civil Service Motoring Association?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
What does Boundless = Britannia Rescue and LV mean. I thought Boundless was a membership club arising from the Civil Service Motoring Association?

Indeed it is. Not sure of the exact history. But the CSMA. Boundless as was, owned (I think). An insurance company called Frizzell. That was taken over by LV. (Liverpool Victoria). Similarly. CSMA (I think), started Britannia Rescue). Many years ago that was only available to Civil servants and Post Office workers. Now they just get discounts.

I have been a member since 1982 when I was a Civil Servant.

Not sure what my discount is compared to Brianna rescue for non members. But it represents great value and the service in the UK is excellent. But the work is sublet to a European company for Europe and the service is poor. So poor in fact, that when I has issues, they eventually repatriated our car and caravan, (very long story). And paid me £1200 compensation.

Sorry, long winded and not necessarily completely accurate. I thought that LV was quite well known.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Indeed it is. Not sure of the exact history. But the CSMA. Boundless as was, owned (I think). An insurance company called Frizzell. That was taken over by LV. (Liverpool Victoria). Similarly. CSMA (I think), started Britannia Rescue). Many years ago that was only available to Civil servants and Post Office workers. Now they just get discounts.

I have been a member since 1982 when I was a Civil Servant.

Not sure what my discount is compared to Brianna rescue for non members. But it represents great value and the service in the UK is excellent. But the work is sublet to a European company for Europe and the service is poor. So poor in fact, that when I has issues, they eventually repatriated our car and caravan, (very long story). And paid me £1200 compensation.

Sorry, long winded and not necessarily completely accurate. I thought that LV was quite well known.

John
Frizzels were a separate family owned insurance that provided policies to CSMA members as well as the public. I used Frizzels for years We have home and car policies with LV who took over from Frizzels. We even use them for travel insurance when not taking the caravan. The nice thing is that they don’t inflate renewals and deal with claims extremely well.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Frizzels were a separate family owned insurance that provided policies to CSMA members as well as the public. I used Frizzels for years We have home and car policies with LV who took over from Frizzels. We even use them for travel insurance when not taking the caravan. The nice thing is that they don’t inflate renewals and deal with claims extremely well.

Yes, Frizzell’s was more of a partnership. Seems they wrote bespoke policies for CSMA. Members. I can remember when LV did the take over. CSMA negotiated a similar deal. That was 24 years ago!

I also use LV for home, Frizzell previously, and have so long as I can remember. And I used to use them for the car. But I am afraid that about 5 years ago they did massively inflate my premium. With seemingly no reason. So not with them now. But never say never. I can save a few quid on the house insurance, but, as you correctly say, they are very good to deal with in case of a claim.

They do say that the Boundless discount is their highest, but I have never put this to the test. Discounts are offered for many organisations.

Extract from Boundless website.

Creating the perfect partnership
Where does LV= figure in all this? In 1996, LV= acquired the Frizzell Group, in order to continue the momentum of its success. It was a good fit, with the philosophies of the companies blending perfectly. LV= was established in 1843 as a mutual association to help families protect and provide for their dependants and cherished possessions. Today LV= is one of the UK’s largest insurance companies, offering a range of Defaqto 5-star rated products, including car and home insurance. They’re proud to be the UK’s most recommended insurer, according to YouGov. It places its customers at the heart of everything it does and, like Frizzell, it exists to help people protect the things they love.
Boundless and LV= is a partnership that has stood the test of time, with both parties continuing to share similar values – which means that Boundless members continue to enjoy discounted rates through this trusted provider.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Seems I was a bit closer to the mark with Britannia Rescue.

LV took over Britannia Rescue from CSMA (I am not sure if Britannia Rescue was exclusive to members prior to this), in 2007.

My bill for Boundless membership has come from LV for a good while now.

Not sure, but I think that the Boundless organisation has shrunk over the years in line with a shrinking CS and PO.

At the time of the sale, it was calculated that each CSMA member could get a £25 pay out. And there were 500,000 members then. But CSMA decided to use the money to develop strategy. LV is paying £18m over 20 years which goes towards my membership fees.

John

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts