Insurers, this is a new one on me.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
A few days back, I got my renewal inviatation from the CAMC. It was as follows.

Caravan and Equip,ment £31500

Endorsements applicable, Alarm System and Tracker.
Excess £50
Base Cost £1106.00
Excludes contents -199.08
Alarm Discount -90.69
Trailer Control -122.43
Add variable contents +32.00
No Claims Discount -254.03
NCD protection +47.18
Installment Charge +31.14
Legal Protection +9.75
Total Amount Due 559.84

I needed to make some adjustments and wanted to increase the sum insured by 1000, remove both the Variable Contents and the Installment Charge, Increase my excess for more discount. I rang them, discussed it with them and paid over the phone.

Today, I got my docs
Caravan and Equip,ment £32500

Endorsements applicable, Alarm System and Tracker and MOD Subrogation Waiver
Excess £150

Base Cost £1138.00
Excludes Contents Cover -204.84 (why is this different)
Alarm Discount -93.32
Trailer Control - 125.98
Voluntary Excess - 71.39
Ministry of Defence Extension +15.00
NCD -230.11
NCD Protection +42.74
Legal Protection +9.75
Total £479.85

What in the name of all thats holy is an MoD Subrogation Waiver/ Ministry of Defence Extension. I have know idea what this is, I have never heard of it and certainly didnt discuss this, but they sneaked it on to my policy and charged me for it. Any clues?

The endorsement reads

It is agreed that subject to the terms and conditions contained in the terms of cover, Section5 shall be extended to indemnify the Secretary of Defence in respect of any injury to any Ministry of Defence Personnel, or damage to any property belonging to the Ministry of Defence arising out of the parking at an agreed parking place, of the caravan covered by the certificate. It is further agreed that this cover shall extend to indemnify the Ministry of Defence against claims from third parties arising out of the parking of the caravan on cover.

God help me if my tungsten hard caravan damages one of their delicate Challenger 2s.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Perhaps the MOD also want New for Old cover on their tanks.

I recently obtained a similarly over priced insurance offer from the CMC, which I declined.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you store or use your caravan on MOD property?

No, never. It wasnt something mentioned or discussed, not on the original proposal, but appeared on the amended document and charged for without so much as a by your leave.

I am fairly certain it is an innoccuous mistake, but this is a legal document. Hilarious too if I hadnt been charged £15 for it. I wondered if we were trying to by the Harriers back.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
When I worked in insurance, MOD subrogation waivers were not uncommon.Usually, the MOD ask for these when contractors are working on their premises. Basically they mean that if anything happens while you're on their premises, your policy will extend to indemnify the MOD. Not sure why it's been added to your policy, if you have no connection to any MOD premises. I suspect someone has hit the wrong button on the computer, and not noticed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I can only think that it is a mistake but unless you take it up with the insurer I cannot be sure but there seems to be no reason to add it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Spoke to them this morning, it was a mistake on their part, but its a lesson to always check your documents properly and trust nobody to do a proper job these days.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thingy said:
Spoke to them this morning, it was a mistake on their part, but its a lesson to always check your documents properly and trust nobody to do a proper job these days.

Correct you should always check. It is better to be safe than sorry if it all goes wrong because the policy schedule was wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts