Internet and TV in Spain

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As many will know UK TV in southern Spain is now difficult with only Sky avail on other than very large dish and this under question from April. So many are turning to Filmon etc. This loads up site internet services (as does Skype video calls) such that many become useless in the evenings - or so it seems. However, investigations of such service on the campsite I'm currently on in Mojacar area assisting an IT professional, indicate that quite a lot of the problem has to be down to the computers people are using to connect and view.

It seems to us that even with pretty high nominal speeds - towards 20Mbs at some times of day - any computer with less than 4 Gb Ram and less than about 1 Gb on the video / graphics card is unlikely to give reliably good reception. Currently we have around 40 users although some non Brits can still get TV from satellite. Unfortunately some users are also taking up bandwith with VPN IP masks to get round the BBC band on transmission of on line TV via non UK IP addresses.

This is really to advise those coming to southern Spain and relying on PCs etc for television to check their computers against the figures given above with view to upgrade or replacement. Cannot promise that such upgrade will deliver 100% but you should be aware of potential difficulties.

Email and browsing are not too badly affected but at some peak times it has been impossible even to connect.

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
When I first joined the Caravan Club in 1967 I seem to remember there was an informal Blue Nose Rally which involved watching the midnight sun on midsummer day at Nordkapp or somewhere north of the Arctic circle.

Unfortunately time did not permit participation then and old bones now prefer Spanish sun, but I have always thought it was a fun idea

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts