internet browsing from caravan

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know the best equipment to get to access the internet on my laptop when on site?A friend said something called a dongle can work.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Firstly does your laptop have built in Wi-Fi?

Secondly does the site(s) you are going to offer Wi-Fi?

Thirdly does the site(s) you are going to have a mobile phone network signal? If so which network(s)?

Depending on the answers, you may have one or two ways of getting a internet connection on site i.e. Wi-Fi or 3G dongle.

Oct 19, 2006
Visit site
Firstly does your laptop have built in Wi-Fi?

Secondly does the site(s) you are going to offer Wi-Fi?

Thirdly does the site(s) you are going to have a mobile phone network signal? If so which network(s)?

Depending on the answers, you may have one or two ways of getting a internet connection on site i.e. Wi-Fi or 3G dongle.
we use a t mobile pay as you go dongle you can check coverage before you go although its not always right and have also used site wi-fi

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello inner zone,Yes my laptop has built in Wi-Fi,but what I need is to be able to get on the internet from any location independantly not be dependant on a location haveing necessary factors is this possible? Thanks,Cliff.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Every thing is usually possible. It depends on whether you are going and how much you wish to spend.

A 3G dongle will give you independence but not all networks have a signal in all areas so you may need more than one on different networks and even if you do get a signal it may only be GPRS about the same speed as a dial up modem.

I currently have both Vodafone and 02 dongles, and in the past have used T-Mobile and 3. All apart from 3 I would recommend.

However one C&CC site I use in Wales regularly has virtually no mobile signal so dongles are a waste of time there, fortunately they had Wi-Fi installed last year so while its dearer than 3G it is usable.

You need to check the mobile networks coverage on their

respective sites if you want to use a dongle and as above you may need to have more than one if moving around.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi.

sat in caravan in devon at the mo connected via 3G dongle on full strenth absolutly no wifi anywhere within 30miles "ie nearest mcdonalds" although I must say in the last 3 weeks this is only the 3rd site where a connection has been possible.

all in all using a laptop in the van can be very hit or miss even on sites with wifi cos it depends on where you pitch in relation to to signel strenth and dongles depend on phone masts so these can be also be sparse in certain areas.

to sum it up IMO unless you are prepared to carry the laptop and never get it out of the bag, "DONT BOTHER"

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Oh dear,Thanks Inner zone and Colin,seems you've saved me a lot of trouble and expence,I didn't know how the options worked but now thanks to you I can understand the limitations,so once more thank you for your reply and interest.Best regards Cliff.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
again depending on how much you want to pay out,you can get internet connection via satelite I have used a satelite connection owned by a motorhomer he had a dish mounted on the roof & I was able to connect from my own van by wireless (with his permission)

But I beleive the installation cost several hundred + a monthly charge

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Cliffo

I am also using a orange doggle at the moment and I am on Warren farm near weston super mare and have no trouble wot so ever. I also use it when I am away with work and have used it in the north of Scotland and in Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and South Wales

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Cliffo

I am also using a orange doggle at the moment and I am on Warren farm near weston super mare and have no trouble wot so ever. I also use it when I am away with work and have used it in the north of Scotland and in Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and South Wales

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi chops the dongle must get a better signal than the phone does cos my mobile is orange the dongle is 3G from 3 the wifes mobile is virgin so far breen was fine weddon cross was completely blank on all 3 services as was hartland point and tinagel, st austel was ok on virgin but not on dongle as was looe, here at holsworthy all 3 are full strenth. wifi was on 3 of the sites but was unused because of cost.

colin

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm writing this from my van in remote scotland on a vodaphone dongle, using a slow but usable GRPS. My dongle is one of last years unlimited time versions which I think you can still get in ebay.

don't expect to download films etc, but ok for emails, checking the bank and mild surfing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For BT Total Broadband users

The supplier of WiFi access at Camping Club seems to use BT OpenZone as its connection so you can use your free minutes allocation to BT OpenZone instead of paying the site rate.

I have used this at Scone and Dingwall recently.

Since I have returned home by using the BT OpenZone finder I have discovered other CCC sites are the same.

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Cliffo

Warren Park also has free wi-fi. I was there earlier this year.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello,Thanks All for your comments I'm going to try the Orange dongle as Erica1 and Chops have had such positive results. Just got back from North Yorkshire and missed the internet. Got to try something, I'll post how it all works out,Regards Cliff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts