Is it possible to overdo towing?

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
I ask this question because I notice in my 1994 5 series BMW owners handbook that it recommends towing a trailer for just the annual holiday. I've had the car five years now and a year ago decided to get a bit more use out of it and bought our first ever tourer.Since then we have been away in this last year on about 10 occasions. Maximum towing trip about 180 miles round trip.So far I've not had any serious problems except a bit of overheating getting up the Welsh Hills. But all in all I've nothing serious to make me think I'm overdoing it. Any of you good people have any comments on my subject? I look forward with interest to your replies.

Regards, Tony.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony, the only reasons I can think of at the moment is the obvious putting extra strain on the cars suspension, engine and gearbox.

Manufacturers do not specifically design cars to tow caravans, it is the end user who decides whether they want to or not, in line with the limits set by the maker, but most makers would prefer you to not tow!!

As a saloon car is primarily designed to carry only passengers and a restricted amount of luggage, adding another ton to the rear end will have consequences.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony, there is no doubt that if a car has a weakness then towing will find it. Clutches and cooling systems are likely to be the first parts to show a problem. In the old days I used to tow with Granadas, bought at about 6 years old with 50,000+ on the clock. They were good cars with heavy engines, which although heavy on fuel, could move a caravan ok. I always found that the exhausts would blow after a while as they were running hotter when towing and the auto box was weak - I am sure they would have been no problem solo.

I have been very fortunate to have new cars for the last 7 years and have not experienced any problems, though a Mondeo Estate needed a new clutch at 50,000 miles.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Thanks gents for your replies. I suppose looking at it logically it is a matter of common sense. Manufacturers have made certain types of vehicle for towing purposes, whilst the likes of my car was built for mile munching on the motorways. It's just that I have met quite a lot of caravanners in the past year and when they discuss cars with me most seem to think that because mine is a chunky looking machine and my van is'nt exactly a heavyweight then people's comments make me feel reassured. Then I read my Owners handbook and it got me thinking. Still, I suppose nothing lasts forever. I shall just keep towing and spending every now and again keeping my outfit in tip top condition (hopefully). Thanks again for your words of comfort.

Tony.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tonyd.

This is precisely the sort of topic I was hoping would evolve on the forum.

Many people like you, Damien, Ray and I have cars to tow with and often wonder if they are performing as expected.

I too tow with a car, but tow at the max capactity for the car. Most of my cars have come to me with between 85 and 100k on the clock and apart from occassional over heating climbing the valley's and a persistant rattly exhaust on my latest Laguna estate, I've had over 25 years of holidaying.

On the Laguna, I've replaced the cat which had the honeycoombe come adrift, and the tail pipe which goes over the back axle, but still she rattles above 3500rpm when towing uphill. My thought on this is that the exhaust has a lot of bends in it and I wonder if the pipe straightens out under extreme heat thus fouling on the rear floor pan.

So long as the car is not breaking down on a regular basis then keep on using it. One thing you could do is otw with the air con on as this induces the electric cooling fans on the radiator to kick in sooner and keep the engine running cooler. If this is not a possability, try patching into the thermostatic switch in the radiator with a standard accessory switch (non illuminated type) this will enable you to switch the electric fans on manually to again cool the engine sooner than normal. I used the switch trick on three Renault 25's to a very posative affect.

Steve.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tonyd.

This is precisely the sort of topic I was hoping would evolve on the forum.

Many people like you, Damien, Ray and I have cars to tow with and often wonder if they are performing as expected.

I too tow with a car, but tow at the max capactity for the car. Most of my cars have come to me with between 85 and 100k on the clock and apart from occassional over heating climbing the valley's and a persistant rattly exhaust on my latest Laguna estate, I've had over 25 years of holidaying.

On the Laguna, I've replaced the cat which had the honeycoombe come adrift, and the tail pipe which goes over the back axle, but still she rattles above 3500rpm when towing uphill. My thought on this is that the exhaust has a lot of bends in it and I wonder if the pipe straightens out under extreme heat thus fouling on the rear floor pan.

So long as the car is not breaking down on a regular basis then keep on using it. One thing you could do is otw with the air con on as this induces the electric cooling fans on the radiator to kick in sooner and keep the engine running cooler. If this is not a possability, try patching into the thermostatic switch in the radiator with a standard accessory switch (non illuminated type) this will enable you to switch the electric fans on manually to again cool the engine sooner than normal. I used the switch trick on three Renault 25's to a very posative affect.

Steve.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I unfortunately don't have A.C. But your idea about the switch sounds a good idea. There is a good auto electrician near me whom I'll have a word with. I read a lot of BMW websites that tell me to make sure that the coolant is replaced at least every 12 months in my 5 series, as neglect leads to major cylinder head problems, with all the added expense and inconvenience that leads to. I've also recently made sure that the oils in the auto box and rear axle have been changed. I read in one of the caravan magazines that it is also possible to fit an oil cooler to make sure that the oil in the autobox does'nt overheat. Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks again for your reply, and hopefully others will join in the discussion. Good to hear you've had25 years almost trouble free towing. I only started last year and I shall be 60 this year. I don't know why we did'nt do it much sooner. Better late than never!

Tony.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts