Is it tue that the AA & RAC wont change a wheel

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Is it true that the AA & RAC wont change a wheel if you have a Puncture.
So what do they do, call for a breakdown truck and hoist the caravan onto the back of a trailer. ?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So what do they do, call for a breakdown truck and hoist the caravan onto the back of a trailer. ?
All the breakdown companies have different rules depending what package you have. I’ve stuck with Mayday , Green Flag via CAMC. Widest cover you can buy.
Read your own policy . None of us on here will know exactly what you have without seeing your wording. I’d hate to give you a bum steer👍

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would also suspect any service that does say the will change a wheel, will have a caveat to say only if it is safe to do so, so it also depend on exactly where you are.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
And that you actually have a spare wheel and tyre if course.
Where did you hear that they won't as I have certainly never heard it even suggested. I suspect its one of those daft urban myths like "If you hit a rabbit you cannot pick it up but the car behind you can" which is utter tosh.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the puncture is on the caravan they are not obliged to change the wheel so I would assume that is correct. However if you have a Mayday or Arrival policy through one of the clubs, they will change the wheel plus there are other benefits offered.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The OP is inquiring about a puncture on the caravan and not the car. I think the above refers to the car and not the trailer.
I’d be surprised if RAC as CCC Arrival would not change a caravan tyre , but the AA don’t seem to have caravan support policy like Arrival or Mayday. Best the OP asks if the standard AA and RAC policies cover such an eventuality and checks any T&C s.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’d be surprised if RAC as CCC Arrival would not change a caravan tyre , but the AA don’t seem to have caravan support policy like Arrival or Mayday. Best the OP asks if the standard AA and RAC policies cover such an eventuality and checks any T&C s.
However if they do not have the Arrival policy why would RAC need to change the wheel as the caravan is not covered? That would be like having a second car, but only paying the breakdown cost for one car, but expecting both cars to be covered.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However if they do not have the Arrival policy why would RAC need to change the wheel as the caravan is not covered? That would be like having a second car, but only paying the breakdown cost for one car, but expecting both cars to be covered.
I think my post at #9 was abundantly clear that in its first and second sentence where the difference between ’solo’ policies and caravan specific policies are addressed. Cannot understand what your post at # 10 actually contributes other than creating more confusion.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think my post at #9 was abundantly clear that in its first and second sentence where the difference between ’solo’ policies and caravan specific policies are addressed. Cannot understand what your post at # 10 actually contributes other than creating more confusion.
Apologies for misunderstanding your confusing post and then confusing everyone else even more then yourself when OP was referring to caravan and not the cars so posts about punctures on cars are irrelevant. :D

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Apologies for misunderstanding your confusing post and then confusing everyone else even more then yourself when OP was referring to caravan and not the cars so posts about punctures on cars are irrelevant. :D

In the same pedantic vein, the OP did not identify the puncture was in a caravan or trailer tyre ;)
Just by inference they were towing at the time of a puncture.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is another thread where the question may be reasonable enough, but the answer to the OP cna only really be provided by the policy provider in their terms and conditions.

Its not helpful when posters appear to make definitive claims for the level of service a reader can expect where each policy has its own T&C's because there will be variations between policies.

Even the policies from the same company , and with the same name may have been personalised by the provider based on individual circumstances, so the only definitive answer can come from the provider, not a general forum.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Well it took me seconds to find the below online.

So NOW will you doubters believe me??

And that's for standard cover, nothing fancy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423_135547_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230423_135547_Chrome.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 29
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I would have thought the background colour (bright yellow) would have made it rather obvious!
But for the avoidance of doubt that was the AA

The RAC cover is shown below.

If you want to know about any other breakdown organisations I suggest you do what I have done and research the Internet.,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423_161521_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230423_161521_Chrome.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 26
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would have thought the background colour (bright yellow) would have made it rather obvious!
But for the avoidance of doubt that was the AA

The RAC cover is shown below.

If you want to know about any other breakdown organisations I suggest you do what I have done and research the Internet.,

Thank you but I’m au fait with breakdown organisations. Always used CMHC Mayday for the tow car plus caravan, and Britannia Rescue for the non tow car. CCC Arrival was far too expensive. Now both cars with LV.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see😉. But if your spare tyre is no good you only get towed 10 miles , on a flat tyre 😁😁.Not very good imo. As you say pretty unambiguous 🥴

But that’s the basic level of cover and as the photo says the buyer can build their cover. So not really that different to the other mainstream breakdown/ recovery organisations that caravanners use. I would assume that the agent and or owner are sensible enough not to tow up to 10 miles on a punctured tyre.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But that’s the basic level of cover and as the photo says the buyer can build their cover. So not really that different to the other mainstream breakdown/ recovery organisations that caravanners use. I would assume that the agent and or owner are sensible enough not to tow up to 10 miles on a punctured tyre.
I prefer the all inclusive these days. Self builds can be fraught with danger if you don’t micro read the small print. The 10 mile tow is of course their wording not ours.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I see😉. But if your spare tyre is no good you only get towed 10 miles , on a flat tyre 😁😁.Not very good imo. As you say pretty unambiguous 🥴
Oh you Muppet, It mean they will take you 10 miles with the Recovery company's spare tyre,
Then Dump you, 200 yards ( old money,) from the garage.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts