Is the new Avtex PRO Series a smart TV?

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't find the answer to this on the Avtex website (or any other).
Does anyone know whether the new Avtex PRO Series TVs are smart TVs. I think it's what they call "connected TV" now.
If we buy a new one, we want to be able to connect to WiFi to get iPlayer etc.
Thanks

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Do you really want a smart TV on a camp site? Unless you use your phone in hotspot mode and have a strong cellular signal (plus unlimited data) you will probably not have much joy with it.

When we are away we use the red button quite a bit for news and weather. The red button does not work on most smart TVs.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually I'm not thinking this through properly.

Woodentop is sort-of right, because my question has only arisen from recent experience using the van in the UK.
We did get to one site where the TV signal was awful, but the WiFi better than my broadband at home and we ended up
watching TV on the laptop. And I mainly only like to watch TV News anyway, but my wife does like an occasional drama....

But we never take a TV to Europe (which is where we used to go twice a year for 6 - 10 weeks) and we rarely stayed in this country.
Maybe I don't need a smart TV after all...!!!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have just bought one and your answer is not so simple. Yes its smart......to a point. Not all catch up services are included and the wifi is wifiish.

No amazon prime or netflix. We use a firestick for them. My phone is far stronger on wifi so i use that to connect to either tv or firestick and hotspot it. Also, if site wifi aka Caravan Club is rotten, my 4g will work very well using unlimited data. Still hotspotting.

Now the sound. Its truly rotten from the panel but its solvable. With my current van i use a pair of creative usb pebble speakers as i have no tv bracket. My new van will have two brackets and with that in mind i have ordered the avtex soundbar which will attach to the tv, though best when tv is hung.

Now, the system itself is excellent. Picture superb and viewing angles far far better than most cheap domestic offerings and far better than avtex older offerings.

All in all. Tv good. Sound poor. Connectivity could be better but works ok. Smart but not as in an A student. More like C going onto B.

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Also it was the 24 inch version I bought. I wondered at the time if I had got a bit carried away on size but it doesnt seem too large in the caravan.

If you decide to buy one, look for a bundle with the case, the case is well worth it.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been toying with 24 inch rather than 21.5 inch but am concerned about the van stich out into the "corridor" when the TV is mounted on the bracket in our shortly-to-be-collected Bailey Vigo. We met someone on a site a few eeks ago who had to get the bracket moved because the TV was too big,

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Do you really want a smart TV on a camp site? Unless you use your phone in hotspot mode and have a strong cellular signal (plus unlimited data) you will probably not have much joy with it.

When we are away we use the red button quite a bit for news and weather. The red button does not work on most smart TVs.

With the FIRE tv on, the slow to react Avtex is no more. But if we have a tv signal and no hotspot. I can revert to that. Otherwise, the choice open to us is massive. We also have many hours on a hard disc. Yet strangely we don’t watch that much tv.

Data costs have plummeted in recent times. I now get unlimited calls and text plus 30gb for £10. Through Smarty.

John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
BT unlimited calls data and text, sim only for £20 as a deal because i also have BT Broadband.

And for brissle, ours is to go in a Cadiz.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have just bought one and your answer is not so simple. Yes its smart......to a point. Not all catch up services are included and the wifi is wifiish.

No amazon prime or netflix. We use a firestick for them. My phone is far stronger on wifi so i use that to connect to either tv or firestick and hotspot it. Also, if site wifi aka Caravan Club is rotten, my 4g will work very well using unlimited data. Still hotspotting.

Now the sound. Its truly rotten from the panel but its solvable. With my current van i use a pair of creative usb pebble speakers as i have no tv bracket. My new van will have two brackets and with that in mind i have ordered the avtex soundbar which will attach to the tv, though best when tv is hung.

Now, the system itself is excellent. Picture superb and viewing angles far far better than most cheap domestic offerings and far better than avtex older offerings.

All in all. Tv good. Sound poor. Connectivity could be better but works ok. Smart but not as in an A student. More like C going onto B.

For it to work as a SMART TV to watch Prime, Netflix etc you need to add a Firestick so pointless paying the extra for the SMART TV. We did by a 28" Avtex last year but had some many issues that Avtex themselves could not resolve they agreed to a full refund. We then bought a normal 28" LG Smart TV for £180 with 6 year warranty for £180 from Richer Sounds. I am still have pictures of some of the faults, but then what do you expect from something now made in China? LOL! :D
Apologies for the downer but have to say that the support given by Avtex was fantastic. We just happen to get a dud as our old 21" Avetx is still going strong even though it is the third one after a couple of exchanges in the first year.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some time ago my wife she completed 25 years service in the NHS and received Long Service Reward (£250) but she did do 40 years before she retired ,nursing.
But we did have a look at Avtex but brought a 24 "LG TV HD DVD free view it still going strong it is between 8- 10 years old no problems at all . :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Maybe technology has taken us so far we don’t know where the box is🤔🤔.
For the last 20 years I have used a mobile satellite with the Sky plus HD box. Accepted it doesn’t link through our hotspots but for pure TV in poor signal places is wonderful. We get everything as if at home except catch up. I can’t think of any other wifi type things we miss.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I used to have one of the older (either Aldi or Lidl special buy sat systems) but as you say, technology has moved on and a firestick is tiny and unobtrusive in comparison. I simply refuse to pay for Sky and its exorbitant pricing, especially for the poor programming I find is included. I would only want Sky for the sport and I get Sky Sports through NOWTV for a fraction of the price. Everything else, I get via catchup or the streaming services like Netflix and Amazon.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I used to have one of the older (either Aldi or Lidl special buy sat systems) but as you say, technology has moved on and a firestick is tiny and unobtrusive in comparison. I simply refuse to pay for Sky and its exorbitant pricing, especially for the poor programming I find is included. I would only want Sky for the sport and I get Sky Sports through NOWTV for a fraction of the price. Everything else, I get via catchup or the streaming services like Netflix and Amazon.
We have the basic Sky Entertainment pack which costs us £21 a month however now most of the programs are rubbish. Unfortunately we are locked into this package for another several months. At least now we know why it was such a bargain at the time. Better programs on Freeview as we have passed the Marvel comic book age for watching some of the tripe. However we hardly ever watch BBC unless wildlife program. ITV mainly for stuff like The Chase.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Avtex soundbar arrived this morning, and the sound is exactly as it is using the Creative Pebble speakers, although they cost £20 as opposed to £145. The soundbar has some advantages as there are far fewer wires (connect via HDMI ARC), and using the 12 volts supply as opposed to the 240v kit, its a lot neater. The TV will stands on the soundbar, but Im not sure I would trust its stabily, its better wall mounted (as it will be), especially if there are kiddies around.

To sum up, if i was not intending to utilize a wall bracket and arm, I would have stuck with the very neat Creative Pebbles. But yes, the soundbar makes a huge difference to the TV sound, which as I said earlier, is very poor.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
For it to work as a SMART TV to watch Prime, Netflix etc you need to add a Firestick so pointless paying the extra for the SMART TV. We did by a 28" Avtex last year but had some many issues that Avtex themselves could not resolve they agreed to a full refund. We then bought a normal 28" LG Smart TV for £180 with 6 year warranty for £180 from Richer Sounds. I am still have pictures of some of the faults, but then what do you expect from something now made in China? LOL! :D
Apologies for the downer but have to say that the support given by Avtex was fantastic. We just happen to get a dud as our old 21" Avetx is still going strong even though it is the third one after a couple of exchanges in the first year.

Not so, I can watch all these things on the Smart TV’s at home. As well as the computer, iPads and iPhones. But not all smart TV’s can access the range of apps. We use Samsung. And far from new. 10 plus years.

However. As said earlier. By the simple addition of a FireStick. A basic TV can have WiFi, BT and a large choice of apps bringing it up to Smart status. It also responds 10 times faster.

Getting a FireStick for my old Avtex is like getting a new set but a couple of hundred pounds cheaper. Pity the Avtex sound is so poor. Easily fixed with good speakers, but not as tidy as having a self contained unit.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not so, I can watch all these things on the Smart TV’s at home. As well as the computer, iPads and iPhones. But not all smart TV’s can access the range of apps. We use Samsung. And far from new. 10 plus years.

However. As said earlier. By the simple addition of a FireStick. A basic TV can have WiFi, BT and a large choice of apps bringing it up to Smart status. It also responds 10 times faster.

Getting a FireStick for my old Avtex is like getting a new set but a couple of hundred pounds cheaper. Pity the Avtex sound is so poor. Easily fixed with good speakers, but not as tidy as having a self contained unit.

John
I was referring to the so called Avtex Smart TV which does not even have Prime or Netflix. Not sure why they have the audacity to call it a Smart TV.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have Smart TVs at home and one in the caravan. They all have Prime, Netflix and many others.

You would think that Avtex would keep up with the trend. The FireStick is great in my old one. Only problem is, Avtex do not release the IR codes for their remote. As a result, it is not possible to link them with the FireStick. This only means that the volume either has to be turned down using the Avtex remote, Or, if using BT, as there is no remote on my Bose speakers, I have to get out and walk the old fashioned way.

I don’t know why Avtex don’t cooperate. Many have sent emails with no reply.

At one time I got good customer from Avtex service by phone. I think they now have a premium number. (Apologies if they have sInce dropped that idea). Not the best for customer relations.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have now relegated the Avtex to the bedroom area in the caravan and use a LG Smart TV on chest of drawers in the front.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts