Is this a scam?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had an email advising that my TV licence could not be renewed but the header kind of gave the game away:

TV.Li-cen-sing

I do wish they would give up !!!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We keep getting e mails and phone calls suggesting that we have Amazon Prime due for renewal and have 24 hours to cancel. The address for the e mails sender is not quite correct and the phone calls are recorded messages, so we know it is scams. All recorded messages are scams so ignore them.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I usually get,"Hi....I understand youve been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault"

My reply...

"Yes your correct,if you could give me the date and location of the incident,I can give you all the details"

Line goes dead.......lol

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I tend to talk them through. If it’s support from Microsoft Technical Services I lead them along as I need to boot up the computer. After a while they ask me what the screen is showing. After I tell them I can see an Apple for some reason they lose interest in talking to me. :)

Reactions: davebakerpurton
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
I usually get,"Hi....I understand youve been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault"

My reply...

"Yes your correct,if you could give me the date and location of the incident,I can give you all the details"

Line goes dead.......lol

I usually say "You tell me, you clearly know about it, otherwise you wouldn't have called......." Click...........

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I go with “OMG! Am I alright?” My partially sighted colleague says “ Was I driving? No wonder there was an accident”
Mel

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Coincidentally, I have just had a text telling me that my HSBC account has been temporarily locked due to a recent security breach and inviting me to regain access by using a link that has been supplied..............Perhaps I should try it to see if there is any money in it, as I have never banked with HSBC, ever.........

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Amongst others I get urgent requests to renew insurance on my sky equipment, or washing machine etc, that is 'about to expire' which is invention as I don't have sky and the washing machine has never been insured against fault. More worryingly I had a call from 'my visa card provider' asking me to confirm a large purchase in the last hour - strange they couldn't identify the supplier of the supposed card. Usually there is a long delay before anyone speaks to me which is presumably the distance from where the caller is sitting a mighty distance away. I have also recently come into an overseas inheritance.... I even had one clown ring me back and ask me why I had hung up on him!
I keep a 'sound bites' toy by the phone so I can reply with cackling laughter or 19 other less innocuous sounds at the touch of a button which usually makes them go away!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You can try my sisters idea and see how long you can keep them talking without them getting any information. Her record is twenty minutes but others must have beaten that. It does make them very angry to put it politely and stops them scamming others for a bit longer.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I got a call one day recently saying my BT Internet was going to be as my machine had been sending out spam. I was in a humorous mood so played along.
First he said there is a key at the bottom left of the keyboard marked Ctrl. Yes I said. Then he asked me what was next to it to the right. I said Alt (ignoring the Windows key of course) and to the right of that? The space bar. That caused confusion so we stepped back to Ctrl.
Then he told me to 'open the google.' I acted daft pretending not to know what a google is. Eventually he explained it is a browser so I said that I use Safari on a Mac.
Click, line dead.

Oh, and I'm on Virgin!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Curiously we have been getting scam calls for most of the last year, usually 3-4 a week but on one occasion 3 in one day!
I have BT Call Protect and was of the belief that BT checked the personal blackists occasionally and if there was a number that appeared regularly they would put it in the nation blacklist but it seems not. AND you are only allowed 50 in your BT blacklist so I have had to put others on my phone blacklist.
Anyways, curiously since about 6 weeks ago we have not had one, not a sausage. I wonder if BT are doing there job at last?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Curiously we have been getting scam calls for most of the last year, usually 3-4 a week but on one occasion 3 in one day!
I have BT Call Protect and was of the belief that BT checked the personal blackists occasionally and if there was a number that appeared regularly they would put it in the nation blacklist but it seems not. AND you are only allowed 50 in your BT blacklist so I have had to put others on my phone blacklist.
Anyways, curiously since about 6 weeks ago we have not had one, not a sausage. I wonder if BT are doing there job at last?

Some of the calls week get seem to have London area code but I understand that’s what you see, not where the scammer is actually calling from. And they change their location/ code very frequently sometimes many times in a day.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a TrueCall phone which stops all unwanted calls, as if the number is not in your allowed list, it goes to an Announced Call where the caller has to say who they are and then the phone will allow you to answer or not, block the caller , or send to answer machine.
As the scammers very rarely state who they are, the number is blocked automatically.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have a number blocker through TalkTalk. Which works, and i link that to
https://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/consumer.
Which works very well.
And when they ask about my no claim accident, I say yes 1978 , . After a few questions they ring off.
I feel sorry for them , minimum wages, and abusive replys.
But a job is a job.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My mobile has the blocking option and this worked well until I changed the phone. Yesterday the first scam came through and that is now blocked but I think I might get a few more until I get them all blocked again.
If you have doubts about a number, you can check it by simply putting the number into Google and the regular scam numbers then show up.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If you don't have to pay for calls (per se) you can call the number back - and nine times out of ten you will get number unknown.
You can also make use of Angus Robertson's superb site www.magsys.co.uk. Select Code Look at the upper left and enter the number into the box. In many cases you will find that the dialling code let alone the number does not exist - 01260 and 01261 are examples of such. Also make sure the calling number has the right number of digits and that the first digit after the code is not a zero - all indicators of a scam call.
Finally another give away is if the incoming number is marked International but starts 0044 - that is DEFINITELY a scam call.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts