Is this an ambigous or confusing statement?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the Calor gas website it states the following;

Existing 6kg CalorLite customers can freely exchange their cylinder for the standard 6kg cylinder or a 3.9kg cylinder - which normally weighs slightly less than a 6kg lite when both are full. These cylinders are widely available and may be purchased online.

Not sure how a 6kg or a 3.9kg bottle can weigh less than a 6kg lite bottle when both are full? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think they were only referring to the 3.9 pkg bottle being lighter than the Calor lite. It could have been a little clearer.

John
That is why I thought it funny as they also refer to when both are full they both weigh less than the 6kg Lite. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . I thought my English was terrible. but very poor grammar for Calor gas?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a 6kg Calor Lite in our garage and was wondering how much it would cost to do a like for like exchange. I then came across the Calorgas website.

May 11, 2021
Visit site
That is why I thought it funny as they also refer to when both are full they both weigh less than the 6kg Lite. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . I thought my English was terrible. but very poor grammar for Calor gas?
The “both are full” is referring to the 3.9kg Calor and the 6kg Calor Lite - the 3.9 is lighter than the Lite when both of these are full.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If we think the OP's Calor statement is confusing, check out this LINK, see under "specifications".

Where the tare weight of the 6 kg standard propane bottle ranges from 7.3 to 10.9 kgs,

However, the full weight only ranges from 15 to 17 kgs.

So if you get one of those 7.3 kg bottles you get at least 7.7 kgs of propane, and potentially 9.7 kgs of propane.

Should you get lumped with a 10.9 kg tare bottle then you might get just 4.1 kgs, or the bare 6.1kgs for your 6 kg tariff.

So, the tares can vary by 3.6 kgs but the full only by 2 kgs, resulting in those getting a low weight bottle get at least 28% more than they pay for.
Hopefully those getting a heavier standard cylinder get at least what they pay for, but clearly at best could only get 1.7 % more than they pay for, and possibly way less!

Things get even more odd. Should you only be able to live with the small bottle LINK, with tares of 4.1 to 8.6 and full 9 to 10 kgs, then you could end up paying for 4.5 kgs of butane and get just 1.4 kgs ????

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If we think the OP's Calor statement is confusing, check out this LINK, see under "specifications".

Where the tare weight of the 6 kg standard propane bottle ranges from 7.3 to 10.9 kgs,

However, the full weight only ranges from 15 to 17 kgs.

So if you get one of those 7.3 kg bottles you get at least 7.7 kgs of propane, and potentially 9.7 kgs of propane.

Should you get lumped with a 10.9 kg tare bottle then you might get just 4.1 kgs, or the bare 6.1kgs for your 6 kg tariff.

So, the tares can vary by 3.6 kgs but the full only by 2 kgs, resulting in those getting a low weight bottle get at least 28% more than they pay for.
Hopefully those getting a heavier standard cylinder get at least what they pay for, but clearly at best could only get 1.7 % more than they pay for, and possibly way less!

Things get even more odd. Should you only be able to live with the small bottle LINK, with tares of 4.1 to 8.6 and full 9 to 10 kgs, then you could end up paying for 4.5 kgs of butane and get just 1.4 kgs ????
I suspect the tare weights quoted are just a guide, this is becasue they take bottles form different manufacturers all of whom have slightly different designs, and from time to time the specification of the materials used to manufacture the bottles may be changed.

The filling procedure always starts with the bottles empty and at tare weight and fill quantity is measured in a manner that is approved by trading standards. So you will only get the quantity of gas set for the bottle.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The filling procedure always starts with the bottles empty and at tare weight and fill quantity is measured in a manner that is approved by trading standards. So you will only get the quantity of gas set for the bottle.

Still leaves an impossible challenge getting 4.5 kgs of butane into an 8.6 kg tare bottle and keeping between 9 to 10 kgs full.

And with the 6 kg propane, if the accurately measured 6 kgs of propane actually goes into a 7.3 tare bottle, then they can't achieve the minimum full weight of 15 kgs; my arithmetic makes that just 13.3 kgs.

If as claimed we get the right weight of product, then the published weights have errors.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Still leaves an impossible challenge getting 4.5 kgs of butane into an 8.6 kg tare bottle and keeping between 9 to 10 kgs full.

And with the 6 kg propane, if the accurately measured 6 kgs of propane actually goes into a 7.3 tare bottle, then they can't achieve the minimum full weight of 15 kgs; my arithmetic makes that just 13.3 kgs.

If as claimed we get the right weight of product, then the published weights have errors.
I made the point the range of tare weights are just a guide not absolute values. Regardless the actual fil put into the bottle is a measured gain above the tare weight of the bottle so you will still be getting all the gas you are paying for.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I made the point the range of tare weights are just a guide not absolute values. Regardless the actual fil put into the bottle is a measured gain above the tare weight of the bottle so you will still be getting all the gas you are paying for.

Okay, I had naïvely believed, as in other industries etc "specifications" were, shall we say "specific".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Okay, I had naïvely believed, as in other industries etc "specifications" were, shall we say "specific".
I should have added there manufacturing variances on each bottle which is why each bottle has its own tare weight stamped on the collar ring. It's not stamped on the bottle itself because over the life of teh bottle its owner (not its hirer) will periodically take teh bottle out of service, strip it down ( remove the brass valve and collar assembly) , clean it thoroughly and reassemble it with a new collar and valve, and these will alter the tare weight, so its re weighed and re stamped with its new tare weight.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Can "we" just stop for a second and reread the thread's subject, includes about a "confusing statement" from Calor, to which I responded with others?
In that context it matters not how Calor actually measure the gas quantity, the tare or the full weights, those were not questioned.

It is simply the publishing under the product's "Specifications" of unsound data in their references I flagged, which can't do anything but "confuse".

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have made purchases from a Chinese web site with some good success and a few miss buys, but I very much limit how much I spend. Most of the descriptions are satisfactory but not great. This one took the biscuit. It is for a car gadget to link phone and radio. I had no interest in it.

2D0ED13B-F601-4607-B3C9-5592CBF9C44E.png

7800997E-C30F-42FD-9220-7036B84BEDC4.png
89025DDF-EC37-4C7E-8906-4347CCF67C1F.png

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts