It’s not just caravan makers!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought that I might press on with some decorating so started on the downstairs toilet. One thing that’s been annoying me is that the slow close toilet seat has an irritating squeak as it closes. It sets the dogs off if I use it when first coming downstairs in the morning, so my intent to let my wife sleep on is defeated.

Anyway I removed the seat and lid to be faced with two spigots coming vertically upwards. Now the ceramic pan has no access to get to the undersides of the spigots. So I thought they might be screwed in such that on tightening the screw//shaped nut would expand a taper. I started to unscrew the first one only to hear a metallic “”thing” presumably a nut drop onto the floor. Of course since there is no access around the pan or under it the dropped nut cannot be retrieved or refitted without removing the pan and all that entails with built in units “ hiding” the supply.

I really wish that when companies design this stuff, and DIY‘ers or installers fit this stuff that some thought would be given to maintenance/repair. So it’s not just the caravan industry that at times has little concept of ease of maintenance. I've had similar issues of access with caravan sinks in bathrooms.

7478043F-FD8C-41E6-A478-636EF10573CA.jpeg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fixing this problem should be easy enough but DO NOT attempt to resolve it yourself unless you are well competent yo do so. ---Mains elactricity toilet plumbing does not forgive. Leave it to a Woosie. 😂

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Fixing this problem should be easy enough but DO NOT attempt to resolve it yourself unless you are well competent yo do so. ---Mains elactricity toilet plumbing does not forgive. Leave it to a Woosie. 😂
Will that Woosie be draining the can or flushing the contents down their throat? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a marine engineer I have always tried to ensure that fluids stayed in pipes and the salty stuff stayed outside, not always with 100% success. But at least I never had an enforced swimming session 😀
New lid on order. The sales chap asked did “I want it bottom fixing”. “ No“ I replied “ I would prefer it fixed to the toilet pan”.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As a marine engineer I have always tried to ensure that fluids stayed in pipes and the salty stuff stayed outside, not always with 100% success. But at least I never had an enforced swimming session 😀
New lid on order. The sales chap asked did “I want it bottom fixing”. “ No“ I replied “ I would prefer it fixed to the toilet pan”.
Why would you like your bottom to be fixed to the toilet pan? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think you have a concealed cistern. Just been looking at pictures and it would appear that the underside of the hole (I won't say bottom of the hole). Is not accessible as you say.

1648744670810.png

Therefore I guess the fitter fitted the pan before the pan was mounted. (pun unintentional). Big jobs, (sorry another one) to get it done from underneath now. But glad its sorted.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think you have a concealed cistern. Just been looking at pictures and it would appear that the underside of the hole (I won't say bottom of the hole). Is not accessible as you say.

View attachment 3042

Therefore I guess the fitter fitted the pan before the pan was mounted. (pun unintentional). Big jobs, (sorry another one) to get it done from underneath now. But glad its sorted.

John
I bet he was "pooped " after working on that

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

View attachment 3042

John

Yes it is concealed as are all of those in the house. I have been studying one option to access the pan so that I can retrieve the fallen nuts for recycling., and that is to start on the external wall from the drive, and then hammer, chisel and tunnel my way downwards then back upwards until I can access the underside of the pan and retrieve the nuts. That way I don't disturb the built in cistern unit, or flooring which is cherry wood. :sneaky:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 3042

John
We have the same type of design in our home

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I had the same problem when the seat became loose - have a look at Bemis soft close seat on Screwfix for £34.99 which is top fix and also has a sticky pad which closes to the pan as you tighten so an easy top fix and solved my problem too. Same seat available on other sites for a lot more money and maybe at B&Q as they are co-owned.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem when the seat became loose - have a look at Bemis soft close seat on Screwfix for £34.99 which is top fix and also has a sticky pad which closes to the pan as you tighten so an easy top fix and solved my problem too. Same seat available on other sites for a lot more money and maybe at B&Q as they are co-owned.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks I looked at Screwfix ones but they lacked dimensions so I have one coming from Amazon at £38.99 which showed all of the dimensions which align closely with the old one. Must say the lack of a seat gives your thigh and stomach muscles a work out 😂

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had a similar problem and I filled the void where the nut disappeared with expanding foam nearly to the top, our fitting was a nylon type nut, so I applied a silicone sealant on top of the foam and glued a fresh nut flush with the top of the void using the silicon, once it was set I screwed the spigot back on , not had any problems since then, although when I changed one of our other wc s, I made sure I bought one with access to the nut on the outside.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I really wish that when companies design this stuff, and DIY‘ers or installers fit this stuff that some thought would be given to maintenance/repair. So it’s not just the caravan industry that at times has little concept of ease of maintenance. I've had similar issues of access with caravan sinks in bathrooms.

I think that the fault here lies with the original installer fitting an unsuitable seat for that pan. But for the reasons you say. Companies make pans and seats to suit various designs from a practical, price and aesthetic point of view. They provide choice.

It’s for the specifier and/or installer to match suitable items. Often, a fitter may be supplied with what they know is an unsuitable match. But they know if they advise against it they may need to come back at a later date to fit it. Much easier and more cost effective to invent a work around.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts