Items required for France visit!

May 5, 2008
Visit site
Any thoughts on what is required to take when touring France.. Am aware of triangle viz jackets but not sure re bulbs first aid kit and where to buy to satisfy a police stop check who has other ideas of what is correct etc

Recently been told the Police has a sheet for each car/van but not sure how accurate that is

Many thanks for any suggestions and good place to purchase Regards buksang

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The only thing to remember is that the hi viz must be accessible to put on BEFORE you get out of the car.

With modern cars using bi-xenon headlights and LEDs for most else it is near impossible to change a bulb anyway, so just take spares for the caravan of which the rear fog is the most important. If you have a modern car with Can-Bus they usually detect the presence of the caravan by the presence of the rear fog light.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure who you are booking through but most firms will give you a list of legal requirements. In theory you need two breathalisers, but it does appear that is not enforced, but for the cost I would take them.
You can get the high viz jackets and the rest in auto accessory shops and some supermarkets.
You will also need headlamp adjusters. I got them from Halfords but again most accessory shops will have them.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I live in France and Alco test kits are not required. Hi Viz jackets are, 1 for each SEAT in the car not per person.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Paul, when touring in France I have the rear seats folded in my 7 seat car. Are you saying I require 7 hi-viz vests even though there are only 2 seats occupied? :dry:

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
'Fraid so - I have a 7 seat XC90 and got fined because I only had 4 HiViz jackets. Now, I might have got a particularly officious gendarme who couldn't find anything else wrong bit for the sake of a few quid (you can get the jackets here for 3€ each) is it worth it?

The (perfectly logical) explanation is that you never know when you might have all 7 seats occupied and then break down.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Paul. Always assuming I can find five hitch hikers and don't mind dumping my awning, aquarolls and wastemaster I suppose they have a point. Off to the pound shop, they are only £1.00 there (surprisingly enough). :lol:

May 5, 2008
Visit site
Paul Thank you I suspect that has surprised a few experienced caravanners Likewise will be visiting pound shop Hope they haven't run out Much obliged for info Regards Buksang

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Also look into the toll road passes to save time , we are this year cos last year there were some hefty queues when we were in France last year , can't wait for this years trip .

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
PaulT said:
I live in France and Alco test kits are not required. Hi Viz jackets are, 1 for each SEAT in the car not per person.

Methinks you got a cop on a bad day Paul. I have done extensive digging and everything I can find says that you must have a hi viz for every person that gets out of the car in the event of accident/breakdown. In practice one would play safe and have one per person, but in theory if only the driver gets out then only the driver needs a vest.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Woodentop said:
PaulT said:

Methinks you got a cop on a bad day Paul. I have done extensive digging and everything I can find says that you must have a hi viz for every person that gets out of the car in the event of accident/breakdown. In practice one would play safe and have one per person, but in theory if only the driver gets out then only the driver needs a vest.

I think I probably did get the cop on a bad day. He couldn't find anything wrong with the caravan (a Bailey but fully French registered) or the car. He looked at the weights, looked at my licence, checked the extension mirrors - just about everything. Then, all of a sudden - like a light bulb going on, he asked to see the "gilets". You could see his glee when I produced 4. "Ah, monsieur, you have a 7 seater car, where are the others?" I thought "round objects" but didn't have a leg to stand on.

On a sensible note, the advice is that in the event of an accident or breakdown, all passengers should leave the car and get to a place of safety. For the cost of the hi-vis jackets, you might as well buy one for each seat in the car.

Another thing they are fond of nabbing you on is the extension mirrors. Even if you can see adequately with the standard mirrors, make sure you have extension mirrors fitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts