Jaguar S type 2.5 auto.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have had a drive in my brother-in-law's S type 2.5 auto as it was having to go back under warrantee for air bag faults and paint work. It is an 05 plate.

I was so disappointed with it I thought I'd let you guys know so you can steer clear.

As for power unless you are in sport mode forget it. I was about as pokey as my daughters megane 1400 in normal drive.

Fuel consumption was shocking 18.9Mpg average and if I put my foot down in sport it would plumit to 4Mpg. Even on the gentlest of slopes it fell to single figures. The best I got was 22.5 tootling at 50 Mph on the flat.

As for towing, I could recommend towing a fuel bouser!!

No seriously perhaps a trailer tent would be top wack.

I'm no stranger to Jags having owned a 420 jag and daimler. Also I've driven the XJ40 and the XJR on test tracks at full chat.

The 4 Litre S type is a much more respectable car and I would argue it to be more economical and certainly better suited to towing.

I would also say, give me a stick shift (manual gearbox) anytime. I prefer to be the driver and not the driven.

Regards Steve L.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
To be fair a 2.5l engine & slush box is never gonna set the world on fire in a car as big as the S. My mate has a 3litre auto & is very pleased with his & reports mpg's of 25-30. Were you looking at the "instant" mpg readings cos thats very misleading.

If you want a manual Jag these days its gotta be an X-type. Judging by the number of these I saw towing caravans over the weekend they must make good tugs.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Glenn

The fuel Mpg was being read via inst when on the move, but we have done a full tank to full tank test to get the 18.9 Mpg average.

The X type is based around the Mondeo floor pan and as such tends to be very comparable for performance.

I must admit that I have a great yearning for a XJR. I've driven these in anger on the test track as the company I used to work for developed the crash safety technology for Jaguar. It's a great shame that Jaguar never developed an estate version for themselves, but left it to aftermarket companies who bolted on a box for the back.

Had Jaguar of done the work themselves they would of had an estate car to match the Mercedes Brabus. The merc is just another estate tuned up, but you would of seen a mould breaking Jaguar that would of realy been distinguishable as true luxury, carrying capacity and performance.

By the way, I got 31.7 Mpg from a XJR on a simlar tank to tank true road conditions drive.

Steve L.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I had an XJR for 2 years - the 6 cylinder X300 model. Never managed more than 24mpg even on a run. Cracking car though, I sold it to a mate who still has it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts