Jimmy Docherty Dream Camper program and a Solar Panel system installed.

BML

Dec 30, 2004
Visit site
Last night, 13.10.2021 I watched the Jimmy Docherty Dream Camper program on the Quest TV Channel showing the installation of a solar panel system in a camper. There were three solar panels on the camper roof, two batteries and a metre of some sort. I think that it claimed that the system could support a Microwave Oven. I would very much like to see the full technical details. Does anyone have any idea what sort of a system would be like the one I described?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I didn't see the program and don't know how much roof space was available.

As an outline, 600w of panels, 2 x 150Ah LiFeP04 batteries, an MPPT controller, a Battery to Battery charger and a 3000w inverter, should do nicely for starters. :)

BML

Dec 30, 2004
Visit site
As someone dithering about installing solar panels but who knows very little about them firstly many thanks for such a precise reply. Secondly is there any chance that you could suggest a trustworthy supplier of such equipment whom I could approach for a price.

I missed three things.

1. Would the use of a Hook up work as a backup when the sun dosen’t shine?

2. Would the solar panels also be rigged up to protect the vehicle battery?

3. As a lover of gadgets are there gauges to advise on the power available in the batteries and the power input from the solar panels?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
As someone dithering about installing solar panels but who knows very little about them firstly many thanks for such a precise reply. Secondly is there any chance that you could suggest a trustworthy supplier of such equipment whom I could approach for a price.

I missed three things.

1. Would the use of a Hook up work as a backup when the sun dosen’t shine?

2. Would the solar panels also be rigged up to protect the vehicle battery?

3. As a lover of gadgets are there gauges to advise on the power available in the batteries and the power input from the solar panels?

1. Yes

2. Yes (as would the battery to battery charger).

3. Yes.
You can purchase an MPPT solar charge controller that has a display\control panel, if the controller is to be fitted out of sight then a remote display\ controller panel can be fitted and\or a wifi or a bluetooth app that allows you to monitor inputs and outputs and change parameters via your mobile phone.

This site will give you a good idea of units and accessories available:

To the first part of your post may I suggest that you begin with doing a lot of preparatory homework, there are so many options available and costs can vary hugely depending on the equipment selected and how much of the installation work you want to do yourself.

For what I described earlier you could install such a system for say £2500.00 or spend way over double that sum depending on equipment selected and whether or not you fit it yourself or do some or all of the installation work yourself.

Saying that, you could install a perfectly adequate system for less than £1500.00 using flooded wet cell battery technology.
There is an increasing availability of good used lithium batteries in the market place, and these could very well be a great budget option.

Installations are not difficult, but need good planning and knowledge of the correct components to be installed (e.g, wire gauges and fuses etc.).

There are many resources on the web, e.g Facebook group
Solar Powered Camping, Caravanning, Boating And Motorhomes

Youtube
: Look up Will Prowse he has lots of video's for example

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts