Jockey wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
Not wishing to highjack this thread in any way I also have concerns that my jockey wheel and its assembly, I inherited this on my van which is Bailey Unicorn 2018, it's an Alko and I think likely the original aparatatus.
Do they have a date by which they should be replaced?
I quite fancy one of the Kartt systems I'm assuming mine is a 48m would it be ok to use the original Alko clamp?

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Not wishing to highjack this thread in any way I also have concerns that my jockey wheel and its assembly, I inherited this on my van which is Bailey Unicorn 2018, it's an Alko and I think likely the original aparatatus.
Do they have a date by which they should be replaced?
I quite fancy one of the Kartt systems I'm assuming mine is a 48m would it be ok to use the original Alko clamp?
They only need replacing when they break !

But

The Karrt Ultimate is a huge improvement over the standard one, and is a straight swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pamplona
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
In what way is it a huge improvement over the standard one as surely a jockey wheel is a jockey wheel? :unsure:
Subjective, but for me

The wheel is wider and taller, so runs better over grass and gravel. Also runs over my dropped kerb more easily, the Alko one would get hung up on it.
The quality of construction is better, the handle can't wind down due to vibration and the handle itself is much more comfortable to use.

Initially, i only swapped as the Al-ko one provided by Swift was too short to get the caravan level without using blocks !

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Subjective, but for me

The wheel is wider and taller, so runs better over grass and gravel. Also runs over my dropped kerb more easily, the Alko one would get hung up on it.
The quality of construction is better, the handle can't wind down due to vibration and the handle itself is much more comfortable to use.

Initially, i only swapped as the Al-ko one provided by Swift was too short to get the caravan level without using blocks !
Thanks. The rubber on our wheel has seen better days, but is still operational as the rim is metal and not plastic. Does the Kartt have a metal rim with rubber tyre?

Never had an issue with this jockey assembly unwinding, but had it on a previous caravan. Is there a reason why it can't wind down while in transit?

Can we assume that the unit splits in tow like the ALKO and that no modification is required to the jockey wheel shaft clamp?

Sorry for all the questions, but good to get answers from someone that is using one. (y):D

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I expect that Pamplona is aware that you can purchase replacement wheels. I have just done this as the track surface was almost worn away - and to my surprise when I removed it I found one of the 'spokes' in the centre section cracked too. The original was likely to be BPW and although I measured carefully to replicate as close as possible I did need a couple of shims to ensure the new sat centrally in the fork, along with a new split pin and now ready to roll! One of this ilk:
OIP.9NceS1OOLNHxvbKnc19x-QHaFj

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This is our current jockey wheel and I cannot find a direct replacement for it as it has the metal rim. Most seem to have a plastic rim which cna crack after a few uses. Although it is an ALKO chassis, the jockey wheel assembly may be a BPW assembly?

Jockey wheel.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This is our current jockey wheel and I cannot find a direct replacement for it as it has the metal rim. Most seem to have a plastic rim which cna crack after a few uses. Although it is an ALKO chassis, the jockey wheel assembly may be a BPW assembly?

View attachment 4821
Not a very good fitment for a caravan with such a high noseload. Probably use the same fitment across all, or many, models.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. The rubber on our wheel has seen better days, but is still operational as the rim is metal and not plastic. Does the Kartt have a metal rim with rubber tyre?

Never had an issue with this jockey assembly unwinding, but had it on a previous caravan. Is there a reason why it can't wind down while in transit?

Can we assume that the unit splits in tow like the ALKO and that no modification is required to the jockey wheel shaft clamp?

Sorry for all the questions, but good to get answers from someone that is using one. (y):D
That's right, it's a metal rim with rubber tyre. It splits in two, just like the Al-ko one does and is a direct replacement (no modification required)

It appears to have a ratchet type mechanism to prevent it unwinding. Not something I came across on my last few units , but my sister in laws jockey wheel did it all the time. In fact, i gave her my old one to try and stop it

Plus, it's bright orange, and who wouldn't want that !

caravan-accessories-kartt-ultimate-with-superwheel-1140726-image01.jpg

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site

View attachment 4821
I searched google images and although you would need to check sizes is this the sort of thing you need?

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's right, it's a metal rim with rubber tyre. It splits in two, just like the Al-ko one does and is a direct replacement (no modification required)

It appears to have a ratchet type mechanism to prevent it unwinding. Not something I came across on my last few units , but my sister in laws jockey wheel did it all the time. In fact, i gave her my old one to try and stop it

View attachment 4822
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago where the OP reported that the OEM jockey wheel had a tendency to unscrew.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Looked at them on CAMC and the ribbed one is nearly £100 before postage. Even with member's discount still very expensive when you add on the delivery charge of £6.80. Amazingly the CAMC website is identical to the Prima Leisure shop?

Maybe other places are selling them at a more competitive price. I will need to Google search.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Looked at them on CAMC and the ribbed one is nearly £100 before postage. Even with member's discount still very expensive when you add on the delivery charge of £6.80. Amazingly the CAMC website is identical to the Prima Leisure shop?

Maybe other places are selling them at a more competitive price. I will need to Google search.

I found mine on ebay, which was much cheaper

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I am getting confused here, are we saying the orange plastic wheels shown on the the Kartt advert and also in the post above are no good? I have zero experience with plastic wheels. I was thinking of replacing it as I thought mine looked worn out. I was not suggesting just the wheel replacement but the complete unit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Going back to post #3 I think that the Kartt non slip would be best as we use a lot of CLs and the fact that the wheel itself is a lot wider than the standard ALKO wheel has swayed me so instead of replacing the tyre we will go the whole hog! :D

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
145kg on a wheel that width surely digs in on some gravel pitches or soft CLs.
I would agree with you, but I cannot recall coming across that issue yet. I guess it could be that my reversing skills are so good as no need to use the mover when on a CL. LOL! :D

Seriously though I try and be a bit macho and put my driving skills to the test and put caravan onto a pitch with the least amount of damage to the grass. A bit of fun for me.

Having said that I cannot remember when last I used the mover even to squeeze the caravan between two others at our storage. OH is very good at directing me. (y):D

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have made my point of view before, but in my opinion, a puncture proof pneumatic tyre is the superior option. Once tried, you would not go back.

However, a search was done previously, and one could not be found to suit a TA’s nose weight.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have made my point of view before, but in my opinion, a puncture proof pneumatic tyre is the superior option. Once tried, you would not go back.

However, a search was done previously, and one could not be found to suit a TA’s nose weight.

John
Nope that was probably me. Using the mover the tyre came off the rim. It seems that we wee not the only ones that had this problem with the pneumatic due to nose weight being well over 100kg on the TA. :D

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You need to know the OEM SPEC before looking at pictures with no spec!
Here‘s a pic of my Senator oem . It’s big and heavy. Designed by Al-Ko to match their chassis, which in turn is chosen by caravan manufacturers for each model . So mine is 240x70 rigid plastic wheel,quite a wide tread
I‘ve replaced with new recently. Why buy something that may have a lesser spec than your oem? Going better is fine of course!

Attachments

• A0146B29-3E68-4F3F-95D3-55FF8BF2A12A.jpeg
    A0146B29-3E68-4F3F-95D3-55FF8BF2A12A.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 4
  • 34E6C513-333D-466E-8DA1-BB780A62AD7C.jpeg
    34E6C513-333D-466E-8DA1-BB780A62AD7C.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 4
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Nope that was probably me. Using the mover the tyre came off the rim. It seems that we wee not the only ones that had this problem with the pneumatic due to nose weight being well over 100kg on the TA. :D
There are some rubbish pneumatics, not fit for wheelbarrows, but, even with the good ones, max load was. 105kg from memory.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve had pneumatic before, no good. Punctures easily, lose pressure quickly due to small size , just something else to go wrong. The pic I showed lasted 15 years and is still operational over many rough terrains. Dare I say , don’t reinvent the wheel😜

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

Changed my wheel a couple of years back. Hopefully the above link gets to the right post.

Reactions: WayneS
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts