jockey wheel

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone had a problem with the Senator Series 5 jockey wheel coming loose while towing? We were on our way home and five miles to go heard this intermittent noise. On pulling into the nearest layby we found that the jockey wheel had come loose but not completly come down. We tightened it up, as we had when we left the site, but found that when we arrived at home it had come loose again but noy decended at all. I would like to hear from anyone who has also had this proplem. Please don't say we didn't tighten it enough the fist time, cos we did.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Towing Caravans and trailers over many years and having experience of many other trailers, Was the jockey wheel up and the wheel in position so that it does not move around.

I've known of jocket wheels moving about and the vibrations loosening the clamp.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Pamela that's one to watch for when the weather improves(at last) and we get away with the new Senator.

We had one caravan that the jockey wheel had a habit of unwinding and we used to put a strap round it.

It reads as though your problem is the clamp loosening off which is a different issue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had the situation where the jockey wheel clamp screw had sheared half way along the threaded part. It still secured the wheel in the up position - though it was loose - for the journey home but then had to be replaced. Seems I had tightened it up too much. Our local spares shop told me this is not an unusual happening so I now carry a spare. You can overdo the tightening.

Mike E

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your replies everybody. We are calling in at out dealers tomorrow and we are going to tell him this has occured. If we get the problem again I will pass it onto you to watch out for. Thanks once again.

Regards Pam

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
There was a problem a while back with jockey wheels on some Bailey models. Apparently the clamp bolts were not greased resulting in the clamp bolt feeling tight when it actually wasn't. Taking the bolt out completely and greasing it cured the problem.

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Thought I would give you an update on what has happened regarding our jockey wheel. It wasn't the clamp that came loose but the winding handle therefore the wheel dropped down enough to touch the uneven parts of the road. We informed our dealer who said he had never heard of this happening before but it could be a faulty jockey wheel. He has ordered us a new one from Bailey's which we should have in a couple of days time living not far from the factory. Let hope that solves the problem.

Regards Pam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts