Just bought first caravan

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

My wife and I have just bought our first caravan. I've picked up loads of tips from this forum and others which I hope to put to good use on our first weekend away in a couple of weeks time.

Not sure that February is the best time to find our caravanning feet but we're quite excited by it all so we'll give it a whirl.

Looking forward to getting involved...

/Phil.

Reactions: SHaines
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Fantastic we caravan all year round-if it's cold get the legs down hook up and put the heating on straight away at max to get it aired! Gas and electric combined provides a faster solution but we try never to use gas ! By the time you have finished setting up outside it'll be warming up ready for that cup of tea-site amps permitting!!!

Reactions: Phil_R
Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Fantastic we caravan all year round-if it's cold get the legs down hook up and put the heating on straight away at max to get it aired! Gas and electric combined provides a faster solution but we try never to use gas ! By the time you have finished setting up outside it'll be warming up ready for that cup of tea-site amps permitting!!!
Good advice, thanks . That first cup of tea is going to taste great!

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Phil. Welcome to the forum. Winter Caravanning is great, just keep an eye on the weather forecast and be prepared to be flexible with your plans if it is turning nasty. Hopefully the gales we have had lately will have have subsided but if not, do think very carefully about towing. Otherwise, just enjoy.
mel

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes as Mel says-and don't put the awning up if it's forecast gales-we found that to our cost as we had to take ours down at 2 in the morning, else it would have taken itself down!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Not sure the weather is suitable for towing at the moment but hope all goes well when you get away.
There is plemty of help on here if you need it and caravanners are a friendly lot, so if you need help on site just ask.

Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Not sure the weather is suitable for towing at the moment but hope all goes well when you get away.
There is plemty of help on here if you need it and caravanners are a friendly lot, so if you need help on site just ask.
Thank you. I agree with you regarding the weather. I am watching it intently and as we are due to go next Friday I'll make a call early next week; leaving 72 hours for cancellation :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Phil, welcome to the forum, I hope you get out soon in your new van, learning curves in wet, cold and windy weather, are not the best. But we have found if you need help, others on site, are always there to help. . Cu somewhere hopefully.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
If possible, it doesn't harm for your first 'trip' out, to be on your own drive. Set everything up (even learn erecting the awning if you have one), and use it. The loo, the cooker, the shower, the heating/hot water, fridge etc. etc.
Ok, you don't have to actually spend the night in it (though i have done before today), but you get a feel of how stuff works. And if you are struggling with something, or something really doesn't work properly, you are in the best place to sort it. I've known people collect straight from a dealers, and head off to the other end of the country to try things out. Braver people than me!

Reactions: Hutch
Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
If possible, it doesn't harm for your first 'trip' out, to be on your own drive. Set everything up (even learn erecting the awning if you have one), and use it. The loo, the cooker, the shower, the heating/hot water, fridge etc. etc.
Ok, you don't have to actually spend the night in it (though i have done before today), but you get a feel of how stuff works. And if you are struggling with something, or something really doesn't work properly, you are in the best place to sort it. I've known people collect straight from a dealers, and head off to the other end of the country to try things out. Braver people than me!
Hi Mike,

yes we have had everything running at the storage yard and have made a few repairs here and there as well as fitting a temporary solar panel to maintain the battery. So,we're pretty much happy that we know what does what (until something unexpected happens!).

This weekend we're offloading the kids and will be loading the basics like gas and aquaroll/wastehog and trying to get the noseweight right (it was a bit light when we picked it up). If the wind and rain subside we might try the awning but it does look unlikely. Then we'll do a bit of reversing practice followed by a clean up and we'll be ready to, hopefully, go away next weekend.

With it being our first caravan we had loads to read/learn and even more to buy so going away immediately was not an option. It's quite a steep learning curve isn't it?

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi Mike,

yes we have had everything running at the storage yard and have made a few repairs here and there as well as fitting a temporary solar panel to maintain the battery. So,we're pretty much happy that we know what does what (until something unexpected happens!).

This weekend we're offloading the kids and will be loading the basics like gas and aquaroll/wastehog and trying to get the noseweight right (it was a bit light when we picked it up). If the wind and rain subside we might try the awning but it does look unlikely. Then we'll do a bit of reversing practice followed by a clean up and we'll be ready to, hopefully, go away next weekend.

With it being our first caravan we had loads to read/learn and even more to buy so going away immediately was not an option. It's quite a steep learning curve isn't it?

Sounds good. One things for sure; you never stop learning! And only by making mistakes will you gain experience. And remember; when you are trying to move the van with the handbrake on, or set off with a leg down or something equally dumb. You may feel like a prize muppet, but theres very few who don't already have that t-shirt! Good luck.

Reactions: Phil_R and JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
So so true! Dangled the cable on the floor-sanded some insulation, had the jockey wheel work loose-honestly I did tighten it gov and worst mistake every, forgot to tell swmbo i was emptying the toilet cassette!!!! yuk.
We've had 3 caravans and each first trip out we go somewhere local ish we can access a parts dealer and home-just in case we forget the corkscrew!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lots of thing from jezzer, especially about the jockey wheel. Make sure that is really tight, first pitch up, make sure your near enough to the electric hook up. Remember also Caravan Club , hook ups have to push in and turn. Took me two hours to find that out.

Reactions: JezzerB and Phil_R
Feb 10, 2020
Visit site
And remember; when you are trying to move the van with the handbrake on,

I can confirm that after moving the van on the storage yard on Saturday, I now qualify for this particular t-shirt!:whistle:

Thank you all for your tips. Now, if you could see fit to make the wind disappear from next weekend's forecast, I'd be very grateful....

Reactions: JezzerB and Mike
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A friend with anew caravan called me up, to ask if there could be a reason for his motor mover, not moving the caravan, have you released the handbrake,NO, he released it then moved the caravan, released the motor mover, thankfully the hedge stopped him from going into the next field.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts