Just don't know what to make of this...

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
I am presently pitched on a Caravan Club site and paid for our van pitch for four nights. In addition, our daughter and her friend wanted to come in her pup tent so I booked them into a tent pitch at £22.00 a night (no EHU), so as you can imagine it turned out to be a costly doo.

Well, as we went around the site today it became apparent that people have extended their grass pitches with pup tents, awnings, annexes, gazebos etc. OK, fair enough. I went to the wardens to see if I could move my daughter's tent onto our pitch and refund the next two nights of the tent pitch. It was at that stage it was confirmed that pup tents are allowed on pitches as it is in the rule book (I never realised this) but it was made clear that I was too late to cancel tonights fee and would have to pay a per person fee anyway so it wasn't really worthwhile.

Things went from bad to worse when the warden said "lots of people put pup tents up, some people use them for storage, some use them for sleeping in - in fact there a couple of pup tents on here now and I don't know if there is anybody sleeping in them or not". I made the point that surely she should know if there are people sleeping in them, otherwise it would be unfair on others having to pay the nightly fee. To this she replied that people walk on and off the site at will and its too difficult to know who is with who. I would have thought that from a Health & Safety point if nothing else the warden should know how may people are on site?

There is a pitch by me that has a van, awning, gazebo and car in width and a pup tent behind. The warden told me that as long as there is 3m between vans this is OK - and in any event she said she had only just taken the site over and didn't know what her predecessors had agreed!!!!

She told me "its your hard luck if you don't read your handbook" and was extremely defensive and unnecessarily rude. In all my years in the Caravan Club I have never been spoken to in such a way. I'm just confused as to what the rules actually are - anybody know?

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi Timbo
we had some family stay with us for a couple of nights at Longleat we didn`t check the handbook either so paid up i`m to honest not to pay

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The club allow a pup tent provided it is kept within the confines of the pitch. This is simple to work out on a hard standing but not easy on a grass pitch and yes I am afraid it is in the handbook. Wardens can have varying views on what can be done and if you want to know before you arrive it is often best to ring and find out.
The wardens followed the procedure which is if you cancel a booking having arrived you do lose the first nights fees. I am afraid they will have no leeway on that as it is one of the hard and fast rules. Given the wardens did all they could with regard to a refund they would probably get fed up with you if you continued to complain. I am afraid the moral is read the rules before you book.
The CC is generous with its refund policy as any other site would be unlikely to offer any refund.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Timbo said:
There is a pitch by me that has a van, awning, gazebo and car in width and a pup tent behind. The warden told me that as long as there is 3m between vans this is OK - and in any event she said she had only just taken the site over and didn't know what her predecessors had agreed!!!!

She told me "its your hard luck if you don't read your handbook" and was extremely defensive and unnecessarily rude. In all my years in the Caravan Club I have never been spoken to in such a way. I'm just confused as to what the rules actually are - anybody know?

I always thought it was 6m between caravans.

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
So, if I never put a awning up as we don't have one, does that mean a pup tent can go next to my caravan because it is my pitch so to speak?

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Bit unlucky that is Timbo but if the shoe was on the other foot you would have had a good deal but hindsight is a great thing.Where i do sympathis with you is £22 per night for a tent pitch.Jesus wept its getting beyond a joke.I understand we all have overheads but that is a joke.

May 22, 2008
Visit site
hi, on the spacing between pitches issue, on a CC site we were nearly asked to move our van. On the hardstanding pitch the picth marker was on the back left corner. In my best directions to OH the van was off the marker by about half a foot. The car was parked by the side of the van and we had no awning up. On the second day of our stay one of the wardens was doing his rounds and said in his view it wasn't matchinbg to there exact instructions on pitching and if we weren't leaving the next day he would have had us move the van and al.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
mrs sorento said:
hi, on the spacing between pitches issue, on a CC site we were nearly asked to move our van. On the hardstanding pitch the picth marker was on the back left corner. In my best directions to OH the van was off the marker by about half a foot. The car was parked by the side of the van and we had no awning up. On the second day of our stay one of the wardens was doing his rounds and said in his view it wasn't matchinbg to there exact instructions on pitching and if we weren't leaving the next day he would have had us move the van and al.
Hi Mrs Sorento
I can understand the feeling of "Jobsworth" here .
However the two Clubs have a large number of wardens , all trained to Club standards.
What may seem petty to us may have serious financial repercussions for the Clubs. Their Insurers may say it is the Wardens responsibility to ensure the correct gap is maintained between outfits. Say there was a fire and the Club was liable , their public liabilty insurers may refuse an indemnity if the gap was less than specified.
So on balance I think we do have to look beyond "Jobsworth" and sometimes, hard as it may seem, accept there are other forces at work that cause us to get annoyed by apparent pettyness.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Timbo If you are a CC member you better get your book out and read the rules so that you are well versed next time
smiley-laughing.gif

I am away next week and intend to take CC book to read up on the rules

I thought CC did not accept tents less they where on the pitch with you
smiley-laughing.gif

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Do what most of us do and move the pitch marker!
mrs sorento said:

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Timbo said:
So, if I never put a awning up as we don't have one, does that mean a pup tent can go next to my caravan because it is my pitch so to speak?
hi Timbo, yes you can but will have to pay for the extra persons that use it, you can also pitch one behind the van if you have a awning up, and there is room to park the car providing all can be fitted within the the pitch parameters,
we have a awning and annex when our daughter or son comes to visit while on site this means storage room is tight so often I have erected the fishing bivvy behind the van in front of the car, it has never been an issue on any site CC or commercial as long as the extra person fee is paid,
also on the odd occasion I have pitched the bivvy for the last night of a stay, after taking the awning down the day before to store everything in before leaving.
it should not be a problem and is in the CC rule book, but at least you will know for next time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts