Just Have A Think!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just Have A Think!

Whilst not directly related to caravanning, several threads have touched on the issue of climate change and there has at times been some heated discussions about what we should or shouldn't be doing to help (or hinder) humanities approach to managing or even reversing the damage already caused and how we act more responsibly going into the future.

I have found this Video blog site quite insightful and thought provoking, and whilst I do not claim it offers all the answers, it certainly does express some of the questions we should be asking.

I urge anyone who has an interest in our climate predicament and other related matters to spend some time watching some of these video’s

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRBwLPbXGsI2cJe9W1zfSjQ

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Wouldn't worry about Climate Change the way the world is heading.... By the time the nuclear fallout dissipates we will all be dust...

Slightly off subject and just me and my daft way of thinking but was listening to the news yesterday on my way back from a lovely weekend in Grantown-on Spey. A must visit for peace and quiet and they were on about Bully Boy Putin handing the reins over to his second in command security nutcase Patrushev before Putins cancer opp.

My concern is what would happen if Putin does not survive his opp or indeed we receive False News telling the World that he did not survive with some cospiracy blaming it all on the west ...
I know I'm over thinking but with all the lies and deceit we have been witnessing my mind does boggle a bit ....

GAS ..... :unsure: :oops:

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst the present situation in Ukraine is extremely serious, and could begin to have much wider repercussions across the world, just becasue that is happening the factors associated with Climate Change aren't going to stop, if anything their likely to be exacerbated, so now more than ever we should be taking steps to reduce our impact on the environment, not put it on the back burner until its more convenient.

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Whilst the present situation in Ukraine is extremely serious, and could begin to have much wider repercussions across the world, just becasue that is happening the factors associated with Climate Change aren't going to stop, if anything their likely to be exacerbated, so now more than ever we should be taking steps to reduce our impact on the environment, not put it on the back burner until its more convenient.

Like your thinking Prof... but sadly we are not all singing off the same hymn sheet on Mother Earth due to selfish private and corporate greed and see no final solution in my lifetime...
I am of the opinion we have seen the best years on planet Earth and our minuscule local efforts will be just as I said local efforts ..... "Its always been on the back burner is my view ".....:(

GAS ....

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many of us simply cannot afford to become all that environmentally friendly as it costs money. Whether we like it or not climate change is going to happen whether or not every single country on the planet has zero emissions which as we know is impossible. Mother nature herself contributes to polluting the planet so all we can do is try our best however I am still not selling our 3L diesel!
Another issue is scientists falsifying data to get government money and that does not exactly go down well with the public.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAS
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
:ROFLMAO:
Many of us simply cannot afford to become all that environmentally friendly as it costs money. Whether we like it or not climate change is going to happen whether or not every single country on the planet has zero emissions which as we know is impossible. Mother nature herself contributes a great dealt to polluting the planet so all we can do is try our best however I am still not selling our 3L diesel!
Another issue is scientists falsifying data to get government money and that does not exactly go down well with the public.

If Mother Nature contributes so much CO2 how come that the “ steep” rise in CO2 levels can be accurately pinpointed to the start of the Industrial Revolution. Surely not volcanoes.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
If you can, try and watch The Trick on Netflix. Based on a true story about a respected Climate Scientist who gets put through the ringer by those with other agendas. In the end he is exonerated.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If Mother Nature contributes so much CO2 how come that the “ steep” rise in CO2 levels can be accurately pinpointed to the start of the Industrial Revolution. Surely not volcanoes.
I should have known that you would pull apart my post when what I meant that Mother Nature also contributes to pollution. I keep forgetting that you are finicky about facts. No offence. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have you forgotten about Krakatoa volcano in 1883 which killed at 36000 people and cause the temperature around the world to drop by .6 degrees for several years. This had a very adverse effect on weather world wide. We have not seen another eruption like that, but there are still many other active volcanoes and they are not that far away and recently a volcano disrupted many airlines due to dust in the atmosphere.

I am wondering how they managed to pinpoint it to the start of industrial age when less than 10% of the countries in the world were having an industrial revolution plus the effects of the Krakatoa volcano? Surely at the start of the revolution there was very little pollution? Maybe a 50 or 100 years later?

It could be a combination of the above factors that could have given misleading data. However either way our at that point where mankind is trying to deal with it, but not everything should be blamed on mankind.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Many of us simply cannot afford to become all that environmentally friendly as it costs money. Whether we like it or not climate change is going to happen whether or not every single country on the planet has zero emissions which as we know is impossible. Mother nature herself contributes to polluting the planet so all we can do is try our best however I am still not selling our 3L diesel!
Dealing with climate change is going to cost big money individually, nationally and globally - fighting the Covid pandemic has cost money individually, nationally and globally - the situation in Ukraine is costing money individually, nationally and globally - despite the prophets of doom and gloom dealing with climate change will inevitably take third place.

Despite many of us caravanners still using diesels, we tend to stay away from cities where NOx is most problematic and don't create CO2 at the same level as those who jet away to far flung destinations.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I should have known that you would pull apart my post when what I meant that Mother Nature also contributes to pollution. I keep forgetting that you are finicky about facts. No offence. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have you forgotten about Krakatoa volcano in 1883 which killed at 36000 people and cause the temperature around the world to drop by .6 degrees for several years. This had a very adverse effect on weather world wide. We have not seen another eruption like that, but there are still many other active volcanoes and they are not that far away and recently a volcano disrupted many airlines due to dust in the atmosphere.

I am wondering how they managed to pinpoint it to the start of industrial age when less than 10% of the countries in the world were having an industrial revolution plus the effects of the Krakatoa volcano? Surely at the start of the revolution there was very little pollution? Maybe a 50 or 100 years later?

It could be a combination of the above factors that could have given misleading data. However either way our at that point where mankind is trying to deal with it, but not everything should be blamed on mankind.

If scientists in North Dakota can identify small particles that were ejected from the asteroid that hit the Yucatan peninsula and wiped out the dinasours then I don’t think that measuring increases in carbon dioxide emitted in the early 1800s would be beyond the scientific community. Some while back on a similar vein I posted a graph that showed sources of carbon dioxide and volcanic emissions were relatively low percentage. But I guess we will never agree on this topic so I won’t bother posting tge graph again. But as Tobes says The Trick is well worth watching.

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com...ectricity-comes-from.63499/page-6#post-544373

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are some people who refuse to accept the overwhelming evidence of man's culpability in the climate change issue. It is right to be initially sceptical about this type if subject but when the evidence is so strong it's foolhardy to ignore it.

What a ridiculous stance to distrust or condemn a whole area of good research just because of the odd bad egg who has tried to falsify information. Show me any walk of life where that hasn't happened!

It's also shortsighted to assume there is nothing you can do to help reduce our impact. Its the collective effect of all the individual efforts that can make a bigger difference. Covid is a good example of this.

Some big changes may be expensive or out of reach to every one there are many things you can do which are affordable or can even save money. Changing to a less damaging vehicle might be one option its far from the only thing you can do. Rather than shouting about why you won't do anything, look around you, and think about what you may already be doing and what else you could do.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe we should consider trading in our 3l diesel jeep for a more environmentally friendly Jeep with 522 kw horsepower petrol engine. Really powerful beast and can pull anything.
My son has a really nice 4.2 V8 petrol Landcruiser, but we cannot get one in the UK. BTW my son probably recycles more waste in one day than every one combined on this forum! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe we should consider trading in our 3l diesel jeep for a more environmentally friendly Jeep with 522 kw horsepower petrol engine. Really powerful beast and can pull anything.
My son has a really nice 4.2 V8 petrol Landcruiser, but we cannot get one in the UK. BTW my son probably recycles more waste in one day than every one combined on this forum! :ROFLMAO:
Surely a 522 kw petrol Jeep is less climate friendly than a 3.0 diesel. Am I missing something here? Intrigued as to what your son recycles. But recycling is useful but the better approach is not to use it in the first place if you can. As Prof says it’s not just the big gestures like going EV, the multiplicity of small ones can cumulatively have beneficial effects. We look at what we are doing and see if we can improve. An example being that since Covid we have stopped using liquid dispensers in the toilets and kitchen. We use bars of soap. No plastic container requiring energy to produce or to recycle, less transport costs, last much longer and save money. My hand cleanser is still in a plastic push dispenser but I fill it from a bulk supply and instead of mini plastic bits it either contains pumice or cornmeal abrasives. Both natural materials that don’t affect the oceans. I am also progressively moving items of clothing to natural materials although still being the proud owner of a Sprayway Torridon jacket circa 2005 I’m hardly premiere league in this aspect.

Reactions: Hutch and ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely a 522 kw petrol Jeep is less climate friendly than a 3.0 diesel. Am I missing something here? Intrigued as to what your son recycles. But recycling is useful but the better approach is not to use it in the first place if you can. As Prof says it’s not just the big gestures like going EV, the multiplicity of small ones can cumulatively have beneficial effects. We look at what we are doing and see if we can improve. An example being that since Covid we have stopped using liquid dispensers in the toilets and kitchen. We use bars of soap. No plastic container requiring energy to produce or to recycle, less transport costs, last much longer and save money. My hand cleanser is still in a plastic push dispenser but I fill it from a bulk supply and instead of mini plastic bits it either contains pumice or cornmeal abrasives. Both natural materials that don’t affect the oceans. I am also progressively moving items of clothing to natural materials although still being the proud owner of a Sprayway Torridon jacket circa 2005 I’m hardly premiere league in this aspect.

Clive to be honest we do try and be as environmental friendly as possible taking into account our circumstances. I am sure most of us on this forum and others try our best to be as environmentally friendly as possible within our limited means. We are all aware of climate change whether mankind is the main reason or not and we accept it.

My son owns the biggest recycling business in the country where he lives and imports waste and then exports the recycled waste material.

However we are now getting tired of this climate change being rammed down out throats at every possible opportunity by all the doomsayers etc. No objection to the occasional reminder that we must continue to do our best.

GAS

BANNED
Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
However we are now getting tired of this climate change being rammed down out throats at every possible opportunity by all the doomsayers etc. No objection to the occasional reminder that we must continue to do our best.

Totally agree. Climate Change demonstrators turning up to locations via public transport and personal transport also when you look at the Super Powers round the world and countries like India with new found wealth they couldn't care a hoot !
We do our bit in the household as does many and have the individual recycling bins and trolleys for all types of waste at my place of work only to be thrown into the Biffa lorry mixed all together :unsure: ... "Cannie work that one oot" ....

GAS ....:cool:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Firstly this was a totally new thread on the subject. It was not tagged onto any other threads so it needed a conscious effort to access it and read it. How can that be classed as "rammed down out throats at every possible opportunity " ?

Secondly nothing in my opening post criticised anyone or attempted to tell them to change. I simply invited anyone who was interested to view some material which was well informed. Again assuming you took the time to review the material you would see its not "doomsaying" it was actually celebrating some of the exciting development's which might actually help the situation.

Reactions: PTA

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Firstly this was a totally new thread on the subject. It was not tagged onto any other threads so it needed a conscious effort to access it and read it. How can that be classed as "rammed down out throats at every possible opportunity " ?
I didn't form the impression that this comment was aimed at you personally Prof.
I'd suggest that it was more of a sweeping generalisation.

Secondly nothing in my opening post criticised anyone or attempted to tell them to change. I simply invited anyone who was interested to view some material which was well informed. Again assuming you took the time to review the material you would see its not "doomsaying" it was actually celebrating some of the exciting development's which might actually help the situation.
There's a consensus of scientific opinion that climate change is man made.
Not everybody shares that opinion for good or for ill, but we should avoid this discussion degenerating into the usual personal arguments between the same protagonists.

Reactions: GAS and Buckman

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Now, while the climate may be changing, the actual IPCC report doesn’t paint the end of the world scenario the doomsayers claim.

EB2446B3-B7B0-4E00-908B-E6CC79EB5EDB.jpeg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts