Kia Sorento Mk1 best tow car I have had

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
The umpteenth reason I like this car - I can use it's bottle jack to change wheel on my caravan so no need to carry a caravan jack. And the Kia jack is stored in an accessible side compartment, not under the floor and luggage.
And another one, genuine Kia removable tow hitch, rated 3.5T, when removed does not impact at all on angle of departure.
Better car than my previous 6 cyl Chrysler, two 6 Cyl Fords, Range Rover, Trooper, Hilux, Superb.

Reactions: WayneS
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Glad you like it. You can tell they are good for towing by the numbers on sites. I had wanted a Mazda CX5 but my wife insisted SUV's were old mens cars. Having ridden in our daughters Kuga she was impressed with that, so here's hoping when we change again.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend of the family he loved his Kia Sorento he said it was the best towcar pulling his Caravan so i am pleased you like yours ..

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The only "problem" with mk1 Sorento's is that they're all getting elderly now so no modern safety features and expensive if you need to go into any of the many cities planning ULEZ zones - but excellent value otherwise.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two,lasted me nearly 15 years. Still one of the best stable tugs on the market. A bit thirsty but solid and armchair driving.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I disposed of a three year old bag of nails, a la LandRover Discovery 2 and bought an ex demo Mk1 Sorento. Probably our best tug ever when you take account of its towing ability, use as a solo car and it’s outstanding reliability. It was also lots cheaper to service than the LR. I even used to take it off roading on Salisbury Plain with a 4x4 club. One of motorings greats. 👍

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My first one was treated to a full set of BF Goodrich All Terrains. Really looked the part and did very well in the rough and mud.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I still tow with a 2009 Mk1 Sorento.
I considered upgrading it for a newer version but the newer facelift models are lighter which could affect towing stability and my Mk1 tows without missing a beat, can easily maintain motorway speeds towing our t/a Abbey Vogue 620 and it doesn't cost a kings ransom in fuel bills.
The car passes the MOT every year so there's no reason for me to change for at least the next two or three years.
I don't use the Sorento as a daily drive supermarket express at home, so I might change my runabout 1.6 td Fiesta Titanium X for a more eco friendly runabout before I'd change the Sorento.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I considered upgrading it for a newer version but the newer facelift models are lighter which could affect towing stability and my Mk1 tows without missing a beat, can easily maintain motorway speeds towing our t/a Abbey Vogue 620 and it doesn't cost a kings ransom in fuel bills.
The car passes the MOT every year so there's no reason for me to change for at least the next two or three years.
I don't use the Sorento as a daily drive supermarket express at home, so I might change my runabout 1.6 td Fiesta Titanium X for a more eco friendly runabout before I'd change the Sorento.
The Sorento's after the mk1 are very different, with nothing carried over - they're "just" a reskin of the Hyundai Santa Fe of similar age, nothing wrong there as it's a good car, but more modern, economical and lower emissions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Sorento's after the mk1 are very different, with nothing carried over - they're "just" a reskin of the Hyundai Santa Fe of similar age, nothing wrong there as it's a good car, but more modern, economical and lower emissions.
When we decided to change our Sorento Mk1 we went to look at and test drive the successor. Whilst it was less gruff and quite plush inside it didn’t do anything for us, it could have been any one of a number of soft roaders. Also it didn’t do that well in towing reviews or annual Towcar tests. But there again it faced an uphill battle to beat the performance of “ God’s gift to caravanners “. So we bought an XC70.

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Parksy
Why change if it not broken

Reactions: WayneS and Parksy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts