Kuga tow car

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
Hi all
Looking to buy a 2014 ford kuga 2.0 tdci 163 titanium 5dr powershift automatic, and then hopefully a simple 2 berth van(or 4 birth if weights are good). Anyone know if it's a good tow car, what's the max tow limit at 85% as I'm new to towing

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all
Looking to buy a 2014 ford kuga 2.0 tdci 163 titanium 5dr powershift automatic, and then hopefully a simple 2 berth van(or 4 birth if weights are good). Anyone know if it's a good tow car, what's the max tow limit at 85% as I'm new to towing
Folks on this Forum have reported very favourably on the Kuga as a tow car. The car will have a Ford specified maximum tow limit which will probably be well in excess of one calculated by the 85% guide. To use that guide you need to find out the kerbweight or Mass in Service of your chosen car. These vary dependent on specification. Then multiply the figure by .85 and you have the MTPLM of the Caravan that matches the 85% guide. But it is only a guide and a few percent higher should not be a problem. There are so many other things that make for a good towing outfit. Loading distribution in caravan, noseweight applied by caravan to car, driver awareness and care, speed car and van tyre pressures etc. Things like side winds, sudden steering inputs, aerodynamic effects of large vehicles can all upset a caravan if the owner hasn’t addressed some of the fundamentals.

My mantra has tended to be keep the van as light as you can with its payload and put as much weight as possible into the car without exceeding its GVW.

You are clearly approaching your acquisition in a sensible manner and I’m sure the Kuga and a suitable 2/4 berth will be an enjoyable combination.
Lastly if you passed your test after 1997 do you hold a B or BE class licence. The B is much more restricted and you would be limited to an outfit where the sum of GVW and MTPLM does not exceed 3500 kg. This is not a weighed weight it is the sum of two “plated” weights. And you cannot get around it by not loading the outfit.

Reactions: rob39
Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
Folks on this Forum have reported very favourably on the Kuga as a tow car. The car will have a Ford specified maximum tow limit which will probably be well in excess of one calculated by the 85% guide. To use that guide you need to find out the kerbweight or Mass in Service of your chosen car. These vary dependent on specification. Then multiply the figure by .85 and you have the MTPLM of the Caravan that matches the 85% guide. But it is only a guide and a few percent higher should not be a problem. There are so many other things that make for a good towing outfit. Loading distribution in caravan, noseweight applied by caravan to car, driver awareness and care, speed car and van tyre pressures etc. Things like side winds, sudden steering inputs, aerodynamic effects of large vehicles can all upset a caravan if the owner hasn’t addressed some of the fundamentals.

My mantra has tended to be keep the van as light as you can with its payload and put as much weight as possible into the car without exceeding its GVW.

You are clearly approaching your acquisition in a sensible manner and I’m sure the Kuga and a suitable 2/4 berth will be an enjoyable combination.
Lastly if you passed your test after 1997 do you hold a B or BE class licence. The B is much more restricted and you would be limited to an outfit where the sum of GVW and MTPLM does not exceed 3500 kg. This is not a weighed weight it is the sum of two “plated” weights. And you cannot get around it by not loading the outfit.
I already have a b&e on my license but I'm also going to take a manoeuvring/towing course

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I already have a b&e on my license but I'm also going to take a manoeuvring/towing course
The Caravan and Motorhome Club and Camping and Caravan Club have some excellent advice on their websites in the form of technical information sheets. I think they are available to non members. Worth considering joining one of the clubs as not only do they have own sites they have lots of small 5 van sites many with good facilities too. I joined both many years ago as a means of deciding which one to choose. I’m still with both as overall the annual membership costs are peanuts compared to the money pit called “ caravanning “

Jun 16, 2018
Visit site
The Caravan and Motorhome Club and Camping and Caravan Club have some excellent advice on their websites in the form of technical information sheets. I think they are available to non members. Worth considering joining one of the clubs as not only do they have own sites they have lots of small 5 van sites many with good facilities too. I joined both many years ago as a means of deciding which one to choose. I’m still with both as overall the annual membership costs are peanuts compared to the money pit called “ caravanning “
Yeah I plan too join them both, we like the idea of small sites and would prefer them

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i would agree with otherclive i started with the caravan club and then the last two years joined the camping and caravan club i think they are great i also like Adult caravan parks and the small 5 C/L sites but i think the manoeuvring /towing courses is great .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Rob,I have a 150 ps manual Kuga 2014.Cracking tow car,most have a tow limit of either 1800 or 2100kg I think.I didn't go for the powershift as as a mechanic see/hear nothing but bad things from my ford dealer mates,great while working but very expensive to repair.Just my opinion and plenty of people on hear swear by them,auto or manual.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Plus one for Kuga. Mine's a 150 2wd manual Mk 2, van is north of 1500 kg, tows it like a dream. Just one caveat, towing rear tyre pressures are hidden in the manual, inthe towing section... Mine adds 3psi to full load pressures solo.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Powershift will be fine, it's the dry clutch version in the Focus / Fiesta that caused most of the issues rather than the much more reliable wet clutch versions found in the Kuga, S-Max, Galaxy etc.

BUT

Make sure the gearbox has evidence of its 30K / 2year fluid changes. They're fine as long as they've had their fluid changed, otherwise (just like the DSG), bad things can happen.

The 163bhp is a good choice, i barely even realise there's anything attached to the back of my S-Max.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Powershift will be fine, it's the dry clutch version in the Focus / Fiesta that caused most of the issues rather than the much more reliable wet clutch versions found in the Kuga, S-Max, Galaxy etc.

BUT

Make sure the gearbox has evidence of its 30K / 2year fluid changes. They're fine as long as they've had their fluid changed, otherwise (just like the DSG), bad things can happen.

The 163bhp is a good choice, i barely even realise there's anything attached to the back of my S-Max.
i often feel that way with my car ..

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I disagree that the Powershift Box is "ok"... In earlier Kuga models there are plastic components in the gearbox that grenade, despite recommended interval oil changes. I'm a member of the Kuga Owners forum as well, and this outlines the issue:

Powershift Problems

The guy who made the post has dismantled and rebuilt his

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure one persons experiences are representative of wide scale failures

I've got 110000 miles on mine and never had any issues with it (and it's been remapped)

A friends galaxy is just shy of 180000 miles - no issues with his either

Neglect anything and you're going to see problems arising.

Of course, now i've said all that, it'll probably explode spectacularly later today.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gearbox gearbox gearbox, saved to memory, picking it up tonight has 37,000 on the clock so I'll see
If it’s 4wd does it have the Haldex system fitted. If so the Haldex fluid should be changed periodically. On my Volvo and Skoda it was every 20000 miles or 2 years whichever comes first.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Not sure one persons experiences are representative of wide scale failures

I've got 110000 miles on mine and never had any issues with it (and it's been remapped)

A friends galaxy is just shy of 180000 miles - no issues with his either

Neglect anything and you're going to see problems arising.

Of course, now i've said all that, it'll probably explode spectacularly later today.
It's not just the one... There are plenty of powershift issues in the rest of the forum. This guy has just done most to identify the issues with the design of the gearbox

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not just the one... There are plenty of powershift issues in the rest of the forum. This guy has just done most to identify the issues with the design of the gearbox
My daughters Focus had two Powershift rebuilds under warranty. It says something that Ford have / are moving away from Powershift. .

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Wonder how many Kugas they sold with Powershift

And how many of them never had an issue?

Reminds me of when i was young. A friend telling me that my dads Sierra was unreliable on the basis that he'd never seen a Talbot Tagora like his dads broken down at the side of the road.

Probably sold 50,000 Sierras for every 1 Talbot :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts