LA MANGA SPAIN

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Were off to La Managa, Spain with the CCC after Xmas for 3 months. Any one got any tips, either at or about the La Managa area or site or on the way down, we are taking 5 days to travel via Dover to Spain.

Regards

Wayne S

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at La Manga at a couple of years ago for a few weeks, all be it in May. Whilst the site was excellent we found the surrounding area very dreary. La Manga "town", as opposed to the more luxurious La Manga complex favoured by the stars of stage screen and football pitches, was a building site. Talking to a couple of ex pats in a town bar, the area "closes down" during the winter months. There are of course some lovely towns withing driving distances of La Manga and, apparently, there is on site activity from bingo through to plastic bag weaving?? Each to their own though, the area was not for us, even in early summer, but I do hope you enjoy your stay. We took rather longer than than you are proposing to travel down from Le Havre stopping off enroute here and their for a few days, but the journey down through France and then the med coast of Spain was fairly straight forward. Bon Chance!

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
This year will be out third winter at La Manga (although we don't use the Rally) . As Clubman has posted the site is excellent with a lot of activities organised by the rally but many more covering everything from Bridge to line Dancing and all sorts of Sports Tuition organised by the site.

I think the comments about the area are perhaps a little unfair, but of course you have to spend time getting to know the area and we've had the benefit of spending more than half of the last two and a half years here, and have now bought on site as well.

La Manga Strip tends to be quiet off season BUT several areas like Cavanagh Square, and Plaza Bohemia tend to be quite lovely through the year. Some of the beaches on both the Med and the Mar Menor Side are really nice. I think it is harsh in the extreme to describe it as a 'building site although of course there is a lot of development going on as indeed there is on all the Costas.

We didn't like La Manga Club as much as it's too 'British' for us although it has some reasonable (if rather expensive for the area) restauarants.

Cabo de Palos has a working harbour and port , as well as many small cafes and restaurants and is only five minutes away form the site. The lighthouse there is well worth a visit.

The whole area is steeped in history and culture.

On the way to Cartagena is La Union (an old mining town) with a lot of history, as well as a 'carriage museum' that is well worth a visit.

Cartagena is a fascinating town with a lot of history and many areas that are not touristy and is about a twenty minute drive.

Mazarron a bit further round the coast and has a beautiful port.

Murcia is around an hour away and again has many sights and buildings of interest.

Going an hour or so in the other direction you have places like Lorca, and the new motorway which brings Almeria and the whole of that area much closer.

If shopping is your thing then you're spoilt for choice with 'out of town' complexes on the way to Cartagena, at Murcia and just North of the airport at San Javier that are more than a match for those found anywhere else in Europe or the US.

This year we will be exploring more 'inland' as we haven't done that at all yet very much.

We had wintered in carious areas of Spain and Portugal before settling here, and find it by far the most varied and interesting. Twenty years ago we loved the Costa del Sol but now that has been totally spoilt for us. However, many British people go there for the winter so it really is a question of 'each to their own'.

Our only advice would be not to restrict yourself to club activities and get to know other people who come year after year as well as exploring the surrounding area. The at least you'll know whether it's for you or not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brenda - As I stated in my post "each to their own", as to harsh and unfair comments, sorry I stand by every word of them. I do agree there are some some lovely towns and villages and towns within a short distance, but as for the "Strip" I'll give it a miss - Blackpool in miniature without the tower comes to mind.

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Quote Whilst the site was excellent we found the surrounding area very dreary.

My points were more regarding the area , and I'm glad you managed to find some of the 'lovely towns and vilages' while you were here.

I would have called places like Torremelinos and Fuengirolo much more 'Blackpool' like than the strip.

My post also stated 'each to their own' . It's a good job we don't all like the same places or else it would be as overcrowded here in winter as it is in Summer...

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
we have spent a couple winters in la manga its a great place,we did not go with the rally it is cheaper if you arrange it yourself.It worked out at

Jul 23, 2007
Visit site
WAYNE

WE have been to La Manga for the last 2 winters and have booked again for this next winter and have really enjoyed it. Must agree with the comments that there are a lot of places t visit such as Cabo de Palos where you can sit and have coffee and tostado and watch the world go by.

We go on the rally and find there is more than enough to do especially with everything else that the site organises. We also travel down through France and usually take nearly a week to get down. Just make sure you plan your route round the sites that are open and you'll find the journey goes ok. We're sure you'll enjoy it but again everyone wants different things from their holidays but go with an open mind and we hope you enjoy it. We are due to arrive in November and leave at the end of January to move north.

Best wishes

Ellis

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Just a question - do people who go to Spain for the winter, celebrate Christmas out there, fly home, or what? Also if travelling in January, would it always be necessary to book ahead. With thanks.

Chris

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I think that a lot depends on family commitments. Some of our friends travel back to the UK/Germany etc. to spend Christmas with family (often grandchildren).

However, for those who stay out here and want a traditional (British)Christmas there are plenty of options. La Manga put on a traditional Christmas Dinner and plenty of entertainment around the Christmas period and places like the Hyatt at La Manga Club also offer excellent programs over the Christmas period open to non residents.

We have found a great atmosphere generally over here, but don't have grandchildren to miss or fly back to...

If you are planning to come to Southern Spain in January (especially La Manga and the other larger coastal sites) I really would recommend booking as the site gets very full over the winter period and especially during the period January -March.

We had several friends earlier this year who wanted to come over around that time and couldn't get a pitch,

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Chrissylizzie....Many go out in October and stay until March/April and yes, some do fly home for Christmas and the new year. Leaving your car and caravan on site seems to be quite normal.

We have caravanned in Spain for 3 years now but we like to stay in the UK until after Christmas so we don't go out until the middle to end of February, mainly because the sites we like (around Santa Pola and Guardamar) are usually fully booked between October and March.

If you do decide to do it (highly recommended) and you drive down through France plan your stops in France and Spain carefully because most sites are not open much before Easter. However, saying that we have always found sites but have checked they were open in advance. (usually by email)

This web site is good for planning trips and the camping card is well worth the money. Go for it....Mal

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
we booked our pitch in advance in section J a few years running,a lot of people do the same,we have made alot of german and dutch friends.In fact we meet up in Germany in mid october and take a couple of weeks travelling in convoy,last year we had street parties and xmas dinner in the road,24c in the day was great although when the sun goes down it cools to about 5c

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I think that a lot depends on family commitments. Some of our friends travel back to the UK/Germany etc. to spend Christmas with family (often grandchildren).

However, for those who stay out here and want a traditional (British)Christmas there are plenty of options. La Manga put on a traditional Christmas Dinner and plenty of entertainment around the Christmas period and places like the Hyatt at La Manga Club also offer excellent programs over the Christmas period open to non residents.

We have found a great atmosphere generally over here, but don't have grandchildren to miss or fly back to...

If you are planning to come to Southern Spain in January (especially La Manga and the other larger coastal sites) I really would recommend booking as the site gets very full over the winter period and especially during the period January -March.

We had several friends earlier this year who wanted to come over around that time and couldn't get a pitch,
Thank you Brenda - very helpful

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Chrissylizzie....Many go out in October and stay until March/April and yes, some do fly home for Christmas and the new year. Leaving your car and caravan on site seems to be quite normal.

We have caravanned in Spain for 3 years now but we like to stay in the UK until after Christmas so we don't go out until the middle to end of February, mainly because the sites we like (around Santa Pola and Guardamar) are usually fully booked between October and March.

If you do decide to do it (highly recommended) and you drive down through France plan your stops in France and Spain carefully because most sites are not open much before Easter. However, saying that we have always found sites but have checked they were open in advance. (usually by email)

This web site is good for planning trips and the camping card is well worth the money. Go for it....Mal

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/
Thankyou Beemermal. This is the first winter that my husband has been retired and the thought of getting away from the grey days is very appealing. Will give it some thought.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
we booked our pitch in advance in section J a few years running,a lot of people do the same,we have made alot of german and dutch friends.In fact we meet up in Germany in mid october and take a couple of weeks travelling in convoy,last year we had street parties and xmas dinner in the road,24c in the day was great although when the sun goes down it cools to about 5c
Sounds ideal to me. Thankyou.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

We have never been to Spain so know nothing of the Country. However, this year we might consider going sometime in January. La Manga has been mentioned but is this the main area that people head for or are there others. Also an ideal of typical costs of living would be very appreciated. With thanks.

Chris

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Chrissylizzie....As an idea we went this year to a site in Santa Pola which is on the Costa Blanca about 12 miles south of Alicanti. We use this site as our friends have a villa close by. We stayed from the beginning of March until the end of May.

The site fees do vary and they get cheaper the longer you stay. We stayed for 3 months and our site fees were 11 euros (about

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
hi Wayne and others

My wife and I are retiring this year and doing the same as you. Have booked at La Manga from Mid November until end of Jan then moving on to Portugal. Taking two weeks to get to La Manga. Thanks for all your comments it sounds great. Does the C&CC meet arrange any golf or green bowls competitions?

Any advice from those that have been before about managing with only 2 gas cylinders for a 6 month period? Also advice appreciated about whether it is worth taking a satellite dish to get any British TV/News-?

We look forward to making new friends next winter.

Jul 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We also have spent two winters at La Manga with the Club from October until the end of the rally in March and liked it so much we have also bought a parcella on the camp site. We always fly home for christmas and quite often fly home at other times to see the grandchildren the airport is only 20 mins away and you can get low price flights in fact I have had quite a few into Luton for one penny each way plus taxes with Ryanair. We find the cost of living very reasonable and if you go to the local markets the fruit and veg. works out very cheap. Regarding the area there is lots to see and do and you would need quite a few weeks to explore, we have friends who live in villages in the mountains above Murcia and the scenery is stunning and very easy to get to. There is golf trips organised by the Club but not green bowling although boules is nearly every day. As you can see we love it there and feel very healthy over the winter months as the weather is usually good although you will need a fleece at night as it can feel chilly.

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi James,

Camping Gaz refills are available on site, although with 10 amps most people do just about everything on electric.

With regards to your satellite TV, with a 66cm dish you will pick up Sky News,Men and Motors a few of the free to view channels and BBC Radio 2 , 4 as well as some commercial stations. If you want BBC & ITV you need at least a 165cm dish for reliable reception although depending on the weather and whereabouts on the site you are you might get away with a 135cm dish. If you're lucky you might be able to share someone else's dish as quite a few long stay caravanners leave a bigger dish here with a multi outlet LNB and make some sort of charge for the hook up. Dishes are sometimes advertised for sale on site and can always be sold on.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
I dont want to put a damper on anyones trip to spain but I urge everyone to think security.we had our car broken into while having a coffee after filling up with fuel,the wife had her bag stolen with just about everything in it.the theft took place at an aires the bag was hidden and out of site.It happend between Benedorm and Alicante.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
I think what allen says is important.

Everyone should look to security, not just when abroad but whereever they are, even in this country! We have our fair share of Scroats who would like nothing better than to relieve you of your valuables.

In both France and Spain campers are advised not to stay overnight on Motorway Service or on the Aires in France, but every year we hear stories of those who did just that.

A recent report in Spain, around Madrid, suggests there is a team of criminals targetting Foreign campers and caravanners. They use cars marked as Police cars, are in uniform and they clainm to be carrying out drug checks. Once inside the caravan they ransack it for valuables.

All this is very worrying, but I don't think it is much worse than here in the UK. Everyone has to be extra vigilant and if at all possible take every precaution such as don't put all money, cards and valuables together. Also a tip is to carry an old wallet with a few euros in and an old credit or debit card and hand this over if confronted.

When we travel we carry different bank cards and always hide one in the caravan incase the other gets stolen. The cheap safes you can buy (

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone, we are also going to end up in La Manga for the winter, we are leaving in mid October and are taking a month to travel down through France, we will then be leaving in mid February taking another month to travel back to Calais on a different route. I have made all the arrangements and bookings via e mails to the sites and got the travel routes printed off via Michelin web sites which gives all the details about the roads, tolls, distances, fuel costs etc. We've never done it before and I'm trying to leave no stone unturned incase we come a cropper! My car insurance company have told me that I will be covered for the trip and I've taken out additional Britannia european insurance incase we need to be rescued, this cost an extra

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Sian.....The Euro Health card is essential and it enables holders to benefit from health care and emergency treatment whilst abroad.

The personal health cover through, for example the CC or CC&C insurance policies are more comprehensive and cover situations, eg; emergency repatriation to the UK, they provide a driver in the event of the driver taken ill and they will recover both car and caravan back to the uk. Some uk car only insurance policies do not cover the repatriation of the caravan, they only cover the car. And most caravan policies do not cover european repatriation costs. Therefore The Personal Insurance cover provided is far more comprehensive than the EHC.

This year I paid

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi James,

Camping Gaz refills are available on site, although with 10 amps most people do just about everything on electric.

With regards to your satellite TV, with a 66cm dish you will pick up Sky News,Men and Motors a few of the free to view channels and BBC Radio 2 , 4 as well as some commercial stations. If you want BBC & ITV you need at least a 165cm dish for reliable reception although depending on the weather and whereabouts on the site you are you might get away with a 135cm dish. If you're lucky you might be able to share someone else's dish as quite a few long stay caravanners leave a bigger dish here with a multi outlet LNB and make some sort of charge for the hook up. Dishes are sometimes advertised for sale on site and can always be sold on.
for the information of all thinking of going to la manga dont worry to much about gas as you can get english bottles refilled on site by one of the residents.Dont forget to take your bikes as there is plenty of places you can cycle too, and if going with ccc take walking boots as they usually have a walk each week and also a cycle ride each week. They now have an internet cafe on site and if you have wifi you should be able to get on from your pitch, we were told this should be fully up and running by october.We originaly went with ccc 4 years ago and after four winters there decided to buy on site so we are not now restricted to rally dates or independant booking, very cheap flights are available so you can come and go as you please.Make shure you also take welly boots as if it does rain you will need them, it is also advisable to take storm straps for awnings as the wind can be very strong at times.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts