Lane Keep Assistance System- Yes or No?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A well known Chinese import of historic sports car marque😉 featured in last months Which?
A number of owners have reported the system without warning pulled the car across the road into oncoming vehicles.

Is this software something a caravanner should have or not?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A well known Chinese import of historic sports car marque😉 featured in last months Which?
A number of owners have reported the system without warning pulled the car across the road into oncoming vehicles.

How on earth did we manage to drive at all before they invented all this new technology - it started with the imposition of a 70mph National Speed Limit in 1965 !!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
How on earth did we manage to drive at all before they invented all this new technology - it started with the imposition of a 70mph National Speed Limit in 1965 !!
The number of road deaths per car on the road in those days was way higher than now. From Hansard, a response to a question mentions deaths in 1964 was 7820. in 2023 it was 1645. And that's absolute numbers and not a deaths per x miles driven or anything

Now say again government "imposition" was a bad thing. Bear in mind on your argument would have no seat belts, crash helmets for motorcyclists, no ABS, crumple zones, air bags etc etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The number of road deaths per car on the road in those days was way higher than now. From Hansard, a response to a question mentions deaths in 1964 was 7820. in 2023 it was 1645. And that's absolute numbers and not a deaths per x miles driven or anything

Now say again government "imposition" was a bad thing. Bear in mind on your argument would have no seat belts, crash helmets for motorcyclists, no ABS, crumple zones, air bags etc etc.
Of course you are correct but they are all passive assisters whereas the Lane System is active.
I suggest Lane Systems are dangerous and perhaps a retrograde step.

Reactions: Bluetonic

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our car just beeps at you in an irritated tone if you rapidly deviate from your lane.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I'm not aware a caravan can have lane assist software enabled. Do caravan movers need it?

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Sadly i am not a caravanner but on my car i always switch it off because like what someone it beeps.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I have turned it off as I found it a distraction.
I am a firm believer in that the car should go where I want it to go and not where it decides to go. Moreso with the caravan on.
Just a sign of desperation on the part of the gimmick developers I think!
Maybe a step too far at the moment

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We had a loan car when our Santa Fe went into a dealer for some warranty repairs. We were given a Ssanyong Korando.
Oh my gosh it was truly awful in so many ways, it had all the modern driving annoyances like speed sign awareness which was useless but by far the worst was the lane "assist" first time I tried to filter on to a motorway the steering was fighting me to stop me pulling into lane one, and when I finally got up to speed, fighting again to stop me pulling into lane 2 to overtake a lorry.
Eventually managed to turn it off, but it was a horrible experience.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Of course you are correct but they are all passive assisters whereas the Lane System is active.
On our previous Jeep it beeped and was more of a nuisance than anything else. Annoyingly if you came up behind i.e. a HGV the car would automatically brake to match the speed of the vehicle in front and kept a safe distance. if you indicated that you wanted to pull out to overtake the vehicle would speed up again.

Like many other drivers, when you want to pull out, you indicate early to give the driver in the offside lane warning that you want to pull out although you will not be pulling out until the lane is clear and safe.

However because you have indicated the vehicle has sped up although you are not quite ready to pull out. This brings you dangerous close to the vehicle immediately in front of you. If you cancel the indicator the vehicle will brake quite hard to avoid a collision.

All these gadgets can make the vehicle unsafe depending on circumstances. Current Jeep does not have these sort of warning gadgets!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On our previous Jeep it beeped and was more of a nuisance than anything else. Annoyingly if you came up behind i.e. a HGV the car would automatically brake to match the speed of the vehicle in front and kept a safe distance. if you indicated that you wanted to pull out to overtake the vehicle would speed up again.

Like many other drivers, when you want to pull out, you indicate early to give the driver in the offside lane warning that you want to pull out although you will not be pulling out until the lane is clear and safe.

However because you have indicated the vehicle has sped up although you are not quite ready to pull out. This brings you dangerous close to the vehicle immediately in front of you. If you cancel the indicator the vehicle will brake quite hard to avoid a collision.

All these gadgets can make the vehicle unsafe depending on circumstances. Current Jeep does not have these sort of warning gadgets!
I couldn’t live with that system, did you have the ability to turn it off?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I couldn’t live with that system, did you have the ability to turn it off?
Yes you could turn it off, but it was an all or nothing system. The forward collision warning was okay and also the lane assist, but when using CC, combined they were a pain. I don't remember if you could only switch off the lane assist.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
My experience on three cars with lane keep assist is that if you use the thing that makes those funny orange lights flash, LKA is over-ridden... and ABS, anti skid etc IS active...

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Surely you would only switch ON, Lane assist, when on a motorway or dual carriageway, on normal Country roads, it would not always have "something " to track onto.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely you would only switch ON, Lane assist, when on a motorway or dual carriageway, on normal Country roads, it would not always have "something " to track onto.
Problem I found on country roads is on left hand curves I move out a bit and where there was a white line it wanted to pull me back. Same on right handers if there was a line marking the nearside verge. Biking habits never leave you. But I don’t have lane assist on even on motorways.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Different makes are using different software. Seems the MG needs updating, which is in hand. The system is supposed to use the road sides , width of road etc. I don’t think it is totally dependent on white lines. I’m sure an expert on the system could explain.

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Problem I found on country roads is on left hand curves I move out a bit and where there was a white line it wanted to pull me back. Same on right handers if there was a line marking the nearside verge. Biking habits never leave you. But I don’t have lane assist on even on motorways.
Clive, why do you “move out a bit” on country roads? It happens a lot here in rural Devon, until there is a tractor with a loader, or a couple of horses coming the other way, you should keep in tight on country roads, not move out a bit.

Any country road with white lines where I live, is called a “ motorway” 👍😂

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Clive, why do you “move out a bit” on country roads? It happens a lot here in rural Devon, until there is a tractor with a loader, or a couple of horses coming the other way, you should keep in tight on country roads, not move out a bit.

Any country road with white lines where I live, is called a “ motorway” 👍
Advanced driving, as copied from the police Roadcraft manual, requires you to move from the centre of your lane to the outer radius of your lane on any curve to improve the visibility around the curve - that way you can see oncoming vehicles, animals or pedestrians earlier.

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Advanced driving, as copied from the police Roadcraft manual, requires you to move from the centre of your lane to the outer radius of your lane on any curve to improve the visibility around the curve - that way you can see oncoming vehicles, animals or pedestrians earlier.
Ahh, this really depends on what you call a lane or country road. If you move out to the centre of the lanes on a bend where I live, you WILL have an accident, simple.

I have seen many cars proudly displaying a badge telling everyone they are an advanced driver, until they get to narrow country lanes………..Oh my goodness! You want to see what I see everyday during “silly season” 🙄🤷

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Any country road with white lines where I live, is called a “ motorway” 👍😂
When I did two driving course with Wiltshire police that was the advice. Having lived in Devon and Cumtria I’m well versed on country druving and tend to be quite aware that around the bend may be cyclist,, horse rider, broken down vehicle as well as Farmer Giles. Just because the limit may be 60 mph there’s no reason to drive to it when I don’t think it appropriate.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I certainly would not want any device that takes over the steering of our car. I prefer to be "in charge" as much as possible. I did my advanced driving training on police pursuit vehicles many years ago and old habits die hard.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When I did two driving course with Wiltshire police that was the advice. Having lived in Devon and Cumtria I’m well versed on country druving and tend to be quite aware that around the bend may be cyclist,, horse rider, broken down vehicle as well as Farmer Giles. Just because the limit may be 60 mph there’s no reason to drive to it when I don’t think it appropriate.
That's why such training also includes the requirement to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear - which generally means slowing down to match your braking distance to the clear space visible.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's why such training also includes the requirement to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear - which generally means slowing down to match your braking distance to the clear space visible.
A bit difficult when travelling at 100mph. LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts