Latest on line Scam!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We all use on line shopping.
DPD have been attacked. Scam emails you saying your parcel wasn’t delivered . Pay £3.00 on line for delivery tomorrow. Ignore and bin it. Sadly I have tried to contact DPD but their website doesn’t engage!

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We all use on line shopping.
DPD have been attacked. Scam emails you saying your parcel wasn’t delivered . Pay £3.00 on line for delivery tomorrow. Ignore and bin it. Sadly I have tried to contact DPD but their website doesn’t engage!
Hi Dusty Thanks for the update we have just brought a Footstool with storage and that been dispatched with DPD .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am getting a lot of scam messages on my phone. Generally they state that I have authorised a payment to Mr X, but if I did not I must click on the link. On Wednesday I had 3 of them and again yesterday I had another one.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I had a rather creepy automated telephone message on my mobile phone from a London number claiming to be from 'H.M. revenue and Customs'.
The message, spoken by a female voice with what sounded like a Phillipino / American accent informed me that unless I contacted them immediately I could 'get ready'.
I found it quite amusing and of course I blocked the number.
The message probably wouldn't seem funny to an older person living alone who was unused to these scammers though.
I also had an email, complete with genuine looking YouGov logo telling me that the payment for my VED hadn't gone through and to click the link to make good the payment.
Yeah, right 🙄

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also been getting alot of scam messages to our house phone but lucky i can check and it says unknown phone number then i block it

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Over the years we have blocked most/all of our 'scam' messages, as we got 'em, don't know how many? :.... However we are no longer able to block any more for the last year or two as BT tell us we have reached our 'allocation' for blocking and must cancel some numbers to put any more on. ....... Which is rubbish really, ....... How do you know which to cancel?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Over the years we have blocked most/all of our 'scam' messages, as we got 'em, don't know how many? :.... However we are no longer able to block any more for the last year or two as BT tell us we have reached our 'allocation' for blocking and must cancel some numbers to put any more on. ....... Which is rubbish really, ....... How do you know which to cancel?
I would suggest deleting the oldest ones, as the scammers will use a fake number until enough people are wise to it then they'll switch to a new number.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with ProfjohnL because i have done that got rid of the oldest scam numbers and then we have more room so we can block the new numbers ..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our current telephone number used to belong to a business that went bust and 10 years later we still get the occasional query about hiring a cherry picker. We are ex-directory which also helps plus using TPS. Unfortunately you cannot do the same with mobile numbers.
Anyone noticed that if doing an Online query i.e. insurance etc and you input your mobile number, a few days later there seems to be an increase in the number of scam messages or phone calls about your accident?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
These calls are fake if you either have to push a button to answer or ring a number. Genuine calls will not be a recorded message. I block the numbers that call on my phone.
Calls referring to a recent no fault accident or say they are from your insurer or anyone else without saying who they are are not genuine. I did get one from one saying they were from my insurance company recently but the caller did not know who the insurer was which is always a giveaway. You can always say the wrong name if you want to check and see what they say.

Nov 27, 2020
Visit site
Our mam fell for one of these scams, payed £456.38 to a scammer after he told her he was from Nitendo! wasn't a good day, bank was useless and couldn't sort it out even tho we were there for four hours. Worryig stuff.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are still getting someone ringing our home telephone that is ex- directory lucky our phone got ( Do not disturb) . and also i can block them .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a Tru Call phone which only lets numbers which you have authorised and stored in your directory through.
All other calls are "Announced Calls" whereby the caller has to identify themselves before the phone asks you to either accept the call or not.
I never get any scam calls using this system as they are automatically blocked by the phone.

Reactions: JTQ and ProfJohnL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I use a Tru Call phone which only lets numbers which you have authorised and stored in your directory through.
All other calls are "Announced Calls" whereby the caller has to identify themselves before the phone asks you to either accept the call or not.
I never get any scam calls using this system as they are automatically blocked by the phone.
Hi Damian if it keeps going we might have to invest in one

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
We don’t have a land line in use, it exists but not plugged in to, all calls come on mine and wife’s mobiles so always see who it is if we don’t know them we dont answer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We don’t have a land line in use, it exists but not plugged in to, all calls come on mine and wife’s mobiles so always see who it is if we don’t know them we dont answer.
Glad I’ve still got a landline as the other day I was due a call coming in and we suddenly lost power. So our mobile landline handsets did not work. Mad rush upstairs to find the old plug in handset and incoming called was then taken. We’ve always kept a old style plug in handset for emergency use. Thing is that some incoming callers shield their number so I could not recognise health Center, hospital etc and they do not leave messages on voicemail. That’s with home or mobiles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LIke Damian, I have TrueCall system engaged. It only works on landline phones, and you have to have callers number activated (some phone providers charge for this and some don't).

It's a very flexible system, and it is remarkably effective. You do not have to pay a registration fee if you don't want to.

If you do opt for the registration, it opens up a few more functions and its slightly easier to control. But its not essential.

I do recommend it if you suffer a high level of nuisance calls, or if you have a relative who needs this sort of help.

It is rated a "Best Buy" by the Consumers Association . There are other similar product, but as far as I can tell non are better than this particular make.

Just remember this does not work on mobile phones.

Reactions: JTQ
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I suggest mobile users have a dig in the setup of their phones. Most smartphones these days have a blacklist and a whitelist capability which allows call blocking.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are some aps for mobiles phones that might mimic some aspects of the Truecall system, otherwise you have enter the numbers you want to receive and those you want to be banned.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not think that ignoring calls where you do not know the number is the answer. I have had several calls form unknown numbers that have been genuine and so I answer most although there is one persistent pest whose Glasgow numbers I can recognise, like all nuisance calls I then block the number. Personally I do like to keep them talking for a bit just to annoy the caller if I have time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just had an automated "Officer" from HMRC with an American computer voice inform me that if i didn't contact them straight away or get my solicitor to contact them i would be proscocuted.
I put the London number into "who called me" and it has over 551,782 reports . HMRC are busy.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Perhaps you know about this site already but it allows you to check if your online accounts registered to your email address have been breached. You can then change passwords if necessary.

Reactions: Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I had a rather creepy automated telephone message on my mobile phone from a London number claiming to be from 'H.M. revenue and Customs'.
The message, spoken by a female voice with what sounded like a Phillipino / American accent informed me that unless I contacted them immediately I could 'get ready'.
I found it quite amusing and of course I blocked the number.
The message probably wouldn't seem funny to an older person living alone who was unused to these scammers though.
I also had an email, complete with genuine looking YouGov logo telling me that the payment for my VED hadn't gone through and to click the link to make good the payment.
Yeah, right 🙄
Just had an automated "Officer" from HMRC with an American computer voice inform me that if i didn't contact them straight away or get my solicitor to contact them i would be proscocuted.
I put the London number into "who called me" and it has over 551,782 reports . HMRC are busy.
That's the same one that I had the other week 😕

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts