Latest Update husband had s stroke

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi To you all my husband had a Stroke in March and so far his speech is coming along but his left side is not brilliant so we are hoping we can go away in May this will be the first outing this year .. REGARDS TO EVERYONE

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Beachball
I'm so sorry to learn that your husband has suffered a stroke and I speak from experience when I say that it is a life altering condition.
It's early days if his stroke occurred in March, hopefully he will be receiving both speech therapy and physiotherapy to help him to regain some of his mobility but it can be a very long and seemingly slow process.
A stroke can cause a once fit person to lose strength through muscle wastage and because things once done unthinkingly are now awkward, difficult and have to be thought through in advance the person recovering from the stroke can become very tired quite easily.
The psychological impact of a stroke can lead to depression in some cases, both you and your husband should take time to adapt to the altered state of affairs and take one day at a time.
Try to be patient and stress free as far as is possible, the trip away in your caravan might do your husband good but take things slowly and easily and try to make sure that you can get help if you need it.
The physiotherapy can seem like torture at times but take my word for it that it is definitely worth persevering and seeing it through, use it or lose it as they say and over time your husbands condition may improve considerably.
If you need any advice or reassurance please let me know on the forum and I'll contact you via email, all the best to both of you and good luck.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi Beachball
Hope your hubby soons regains full mobilityAnd you take care of yourself as its hard work looking after invalids
Enjoy your 1st trip away hope its not to far away from home or help if you need it
Those are very wise words Parksy has written

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
All the best to you and your hubby and I hope he returns as near to normal health as possible
smiley-wink.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Beachball so sorry to hear of your unfortunate news, wish your hubby a speedy recovery, and just as important don't over do it yourself. Both of you take care and enjoy your first break.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the good wishes my husband has had a tough time with his speech therapy and physiotherapy plus he has to have injections daily and a special thankyou to ( Parksy) and he has told me you lot on here are great to know . . ( We are late this year taking the winter cover of the van and its having a service on Monday ) REGARDS TO EVERYONE ON HERE

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Hello b/b lets hope he gts well soon the best thing is a quiet site no fuss and some quality time together if he is like me and most stubburn men he wont want a fuss /but hay still spoil him he wont knock it.let us now how he gets on best wishes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Beachball
My friends 45 year old son in law is currently recovering from a stroke. It can be very hard for everyone involved but good on you for deciding to go away.
Where are you going?
If you happen to be away , same time , same place as me I'll be more than happy to help with pitching up water fetching etc.
smiley-kiss.gif

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We book Blue Rose a adult park a fully service pitch with hardstanding near the yorkshire coast and we only live in lincolnshire thank god it not a long run . . REGARDS TO EVERYONE ON HERE

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi To you all, latest update my husband has now got a short term memory lost this stroke was a bad one he gets tried very quicky but i think he is just amazing and we are at the hospital every 6 weeks for a check up . REGARDS TO EVERYONE

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The tiredness is normal and when your husband becomes tired he should rest because it is part of the recovery process.
Every stroke is different but they are always debilitating, the thing for your husband to do is to maintain a positive outlook, try to find methods to work around or overcome any difficulties and try to regain as much functionality in hs limbs as he can, use it or lose it as the physio's will say.
Recovery is a slow and gradual process and short term memory loss would not be unusual ( I put my 'senior moments' down to my age).
It can help to write down things to remember, I have to write down the names of people who I have met to avoid the embarrassment of forgetting them on our next meeting
smiley-embarassed.gif

Your husband should try hard to practice his mental agility, puzzles, jig saw puzzles, books, draughts or chess, even snakes and ladders or tiddlywinks can help in this respect because manual dexterity is combined with thought process - win/win.
Is there a support organisation such as a stroke club near to where you live? Your husband would benefit from meeting other people who are in a similar position to himself, some will be better but some will be worse and meeting and speaking to others who have suffered strokes can help to regain some perspective on the situation and can reduce the possibility of depression
smiley-laughing.gif

Keep us posted.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thankyou for your reply and your help from a person who has had a stroke, in one way we are lucky as I have nursed other people within a professional capacity, but whren it is your nearest and dearest it takes it to another level. All that you have stated we have discussed, but like all men he feels he can cope.................... the good thing is he has a hobby of fishing and so sees other men. The normal feeling of this is good and so we are aware of this. The condition is part of our normal life so we do not make it extra but part of our lifestyle, but not the main part. Thankyou for the support, always appreciated from someone who understands,

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Beachball, I was sorry to read about your husbands stroke and I am so glad you are both going to carry on as near to normal as is possible. I can speak from personal experiences that if you look as if you need a little help some kind people will offer. This we found when I was incapacitated by a poorly leg.Even now if we are struggling with the dreaded awning folks will lend a hand cos we are both vertically challenged!!!! Thank goodness for tall fellows!!!
We too visit the same area as yourselves and we live in Lincs as well. One of the advantages of caravanning is that when you are not at your best you can just please yourself.
I am sure with your very dedicated care your hubby will soon be himself again. We must all make the best of life because you never know when it may be challenged.
Good luck and best wishes for a well deserved break.
Thursdays Child

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My husband had another set back recovery is very slowly getting there but he loves the practical caravan forum keep it up you guys and dolls he likes the stories you lot have put in. REGARDS TO EVERYONE

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
its a long haul b/b just show hime a pitcher off me crocs that may chear him up iff he dont improve he he=as to where cocs the rest off is life he will soon come around best wishes f/g,

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Beach ball.
You and your hubby have our best wishes for a good outcome and a long future. He's a lucky fella to have a knowlegable helping hand from you. Take things steady and keep a posative attitude. I know that's hard at times especially when the simplest of tasks become a major expedition.

This year I've had to resort to a long hose on a reel to keep our water barrels filled up, as my back problems are getting worse. There's plenty of ways around things and while we can all tender advice, individual determination and recovery times do vary.

We're looking after my wife's mother who has had about 6 mini strokes which have left her with perception issues and a facial tick which closes her eyes. But she still battles on with us doing the background work to help her live independantly, without her realising what we do.
Good luck to both of you.
If your ever in Herefordshire I'd be only too willing to lend a hand if required.
All the best
Steve & Louisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts