Layout help!

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

Looking for advice please please as there are so many to choose from! We have some basic requirements. 2nd hand van around the 8k mark so age will be a factor.
We would like a 5 or 6 berth with potentially a living area at each end, but the ideal is the far end turn into singles not a double and bunk. Or we would have 2 bunks and a n other bed if needs be.
Also want the ability to be able to close off the rear sleeping section either with a screen or door not curtains.
Also want a dinette.

The closest we have come to the layout we want is the Lunar Lexon 550 seen here:
layout-image-$14005913$450.jpg

But the vans are too new and coming in over budget. Basically we are a family of 4 with 2 growing kids 7 & 10 who dont want to share a double bed. We would still like a dinette for some eating, games, drawing etc. But would also like on a night to be able to feel a sense of separation so we dont have to sit in silence! I appreciate I've gone on a bit but any advice on suitable layouts would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance,.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Have you thought of a double dinette layout. That is a lounge at each end, with kitchen and washroom in the middle. As long as the front lounge is long enough, then the kids can have those as singles and you and your OH can have the rear loung as a double. This layout worked well for us when we had two older children, who were too big for bunks.
Double dinette layouts are not so popular now, but were on older vans, so you may find one in your budget. Have a look on caravanfinder to view your options.
Happy hunting
Mel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi shaka ,
Our kids are 7 and 11 and in our van we have, we have double dinette, the rear bit is for the kids which they have their own bunks , plenty off room in bunks to , a centre washroom and we have our front bit at the front obviously but on a night time we have a partition door that shuts them off which makes it their kind of bedroom and we have our front end of the van to ourselves .
We never had this on our other van but having it on this one makes one huge difference as to giving the kids their own space and us our privacy on a night time.
Good luck in your search .
Hope you get sorted soon .
Craig .

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Mel - thanks for the response not sure we could get use to that as would still want access to the kitchen etc while they are in bed but food for thought!

And @Craig yep that's exactly what we are after just wish our budget would stretch to something as nice as yours!!
If any one knows of older models that share the same kind of layout as your Sprite Major I'd love to hear!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Shaka ,
Have you been out and had a look anywhere yet , try getting into some caravan outlets which sell used vans , you may be surprised what you find , then at least you can get in and around and about and see if any suits your needs. Take the kids and the wife so you can all sit in it, judging how much space you have etc & different layouts. Plus if you buy from an outlet you may get a bit warranty on it. We only went to buy heater and then ended up up buying this !! But before hand we done what I've suggested we all went sat in it we even had the kids lying on the bunk beds to see how much space they had !

Craig .

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Ha a heater! :) Yeah we went out last weekend and are going again this, I guess it's about getting in as many as possible and we will probably just know when we find "the one" ! But some sound advice thank you.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
No probs ! Enjoy !
Once you get one its chill out time all the way B) , that's after you start asking about awnings ,and what you can take with you etc etc etc.......... the list goes on ! But yous'll get there !!

Craig .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
A few minutes on Caravan Finder brought back a 2005 double dinette Bessacarr Cameo 635 with motor mover & awning for £8995 - With the added bonus of once being owned by Gary Numan! (Allegedly). The only downside is the MTPLM of 1900KG.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt there is a five or six berth without a bunk as without this you could not get everything in. I doubt the double dinette layout would suit if the children will not share a bed. We have had two but we had three girls who were happy with it but it does need them to compromise. We did have an Eldiss with a single dinette at the back with a bunk over this which worked when one got too old to consider it cool to go with us and if you can find that layout it might work.
Possibly if there are only two of them a caravan with two parallel singles at the back would be best, but it is a fairly recent layout and you my struggle to find one old enough, but it depends on your budget and if you will take a budget range.

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2008 bailey ranger 540/6. This has a tripple bunk at back at one side and a side dinette that turns into a bed.

Ideal area at back for kids.

Check them out and see what you think

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Our Bailey GT65 Turin works well for us but the children are all 14 and over. The girls were finding the bunks troublesome for reading in bed and access to the top one. That said may be too heavy for you at the moment. Plenty of used examples with this layout of two singles/double at the front, side dinette and rear fixed double that will be towards your price bracket but like all family vans they are snapped up quite quickly.

Go around the local dealers to get your face known and let them know what you're looking for so they can contact you and you can get in quick.

As has been said before the five or six berth twin lounge is tried and tested and one of few layouts that seem to have been around for ever. These will be generally 5 berth single axle 6 berth twin axle. You could consider two fixed bunks and a dinette at the back with the front lounge but they may still be out of your price range.

We also used the rear fixed bunks side dinette front lounge for a few years. It was an Amara 560/6. Again many about with this layout, pretty much all single axle and many lighter than the Coachman was.

You need the whole family when trying out a van, don't rush unduly and seek a recent damp report from an an approved workshop.

If buying privately an approved workshop inspection would be worthwhile before parting with your hard earned cash.

Good luck and keep us updated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts