LAZINESS OR NORMAL?

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Good Morning all,

Is it just laziness that some people carry a cordless driver to operate the caravan legs or is this the norm for everyone?

surely it cant take that long lol.

Cheers.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We tried a drill for a couple of years until the battery failed and we went back to using the supplied brace.

Have concluded carrying the drill and its long extension socket was actually just more "clutter" to carry about for the saving of but a few seconds. "Clutter" is a pet hate of mine, but I see it as more a collector hobby for many.

More hassle in the overall picture as well as rarely going on an EHU I had to remember to take its battery pack home and bring it back from recharging. The brace in comparison lives in the van, stowed in clips in the front locker on the bulkhead, always ready and to hand

I can see a "need" where there is a genuine medical reason, otherwise I see little positive in using a drill.
Personally, now just short of eighty the exercise, trivial as it is, is of more benefit than shying away from it!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We tried a drill for a couple of years until the battery failed and we went back to using the supplied brace.

Have concluded carrying the drill and its long extension socket was actually just more "clutter" to carry about for the saving of but a few seconds. "Clutter" is a pet hate of mine, but I see it as more a collector hobby for many.

More hassle in the overall picture as well as rarely going on an EHU I had to remember to take its battery pack home and bring it back from recharging. The brace in comparison lives in the van, stowed in clips in the front locker on the bulkhead, always ready and to hand

I can see a "need" where there is a genuine medical reason, otherwise I see little positive in using a drill.
Personally, now just short of eighty the exercise, trivial as it is, is of more benefit than shying away from it!

Your philosophy is exactly what I have tried to impress on my wife. Fetching water, disposing of grey water, Thetford disposal are all great weight bearing activities that help to retain bone density in the elderly.

Total failure on all accounts even when I offer the use of a lightweight trolley. 🤐

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I don't think using a drill is lazy. It's just a quick way of setting up so that we can get on with the business of living the caravan life which, for us, means plenty of walking and exercise. Most people own a drill anyway, so why not employ it to save time and effort?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I carry an SDS drill anyway for getting the pegs in hard standings so why not use it for spinning the legs down? Not lazy by any stretch of the imagination.
That's right, you still get to walk around the caravan, and all that bending phew! Makes me want to put kettle on thinking about it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's all a matter of personal preference, it is neither right or wrong to use a drill, and it's mot worth loosing any sleep or time worrying about it.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have an electric drill winder for home use, but my trusty Makita has NiMH batteries which are heavy and are normally exhausted after a winding session, so I'd need to take the charger too... I stick to the acoustic winding handle to keep the weight down.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Do you see a carpenter using a hammer---No its a nail gun
Do you see a scaffolder using a spanner----No its a drill
Remember the days we used the red phone box :giggle: :giggle:
I'm with Gabsgrandad---it's 2020

Reactions: PTA
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have an electric drill winder for home use, but my trusty Makita has NiMH batteries which are heavy and are normally exhausted after a winding session, so I'd need to take the charger too... I stick to the acoustic winding handle to keep the weight down.

My trusty Stanley drill did 10 set ups last holidays without the need to charge. Suggest new Mikita batteries are needed.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Well yes, very recently for the scaffolding required for the re roofing of our nextdoor neighbours cottage, one that looked just like this one.
Seems made precisely for that job, I noticed it as I had not seen a tool like it.
The roofers thenselves certainly used nail guns though.
WOW.. A double ended spanner for scaffolding, the only persons using these were bricklayers who had them in there tool buckets to remove things they shouldnt have!! Ive been scaffolding since 1980 and those spanners were out of date back then!! Hence I now have a drill, (when I go out on the tools, which isnt often these days!) ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts