Jan 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi. I've had an old Elddis caravan for 2 years with no serious issues. However when I had a mid winter look the other day I found the carpet in the bathroom was wet. I used a fan heater and managed to dry it out. However after a night of wind and rain it was wet again. It is unfortunately stored where it is open to all that nature can throw at it. I'm just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I should be looking for the issue. I've lifted the carpet and noticed one area has a bubble,which when pressed releases air. I've looked underneath the caravan and it looks ok. There are no obvious leaks from the skylight etc.
Thanking you
Ian

Attachments

• 20230113_111244.jpg
    20230113_111244.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Usual culprits for letting water in are:
window seals
where the awning rail is fixed externally
roof straps
external locker seals
cracks in front/rear panels

Water can track a fair way so the ingress point may be a little way fromthe wet carpet.

You haven’t told us what model van it is and where the bathroom is located. That info may help others suggest different ingress points.
Good luck.
mel

Jan 13, 2023
Visit site
Thanks Mel for your reply. Sounds like it could a nightmare trying to find where the water is entering. The bathroom is situated rear left looking from the front,which is the other side to the awning rail. Its an old Elddis slipstream xl,manufactured around the year 2000

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I have used tracing dye with success, 2 different colours makes the task easier and quicker.
Use a watering can and apply to one area at a time on a dry day, a processs of elimination to narrow the leak source down to the exact point(s) of ingress.

Reactions: Hutch and Buddiefan
Jan 13, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I knew we were expecting heavy rain last night. So once I'd dried the area out,I lay blue paper down. A few hours into the rain this was the only area showing water

Attachments

• 20230113_203530.jpg
    20230113_203530.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have you used your damp meter yet and closely inspected the outside of the caravan? It is very difficult for Forum members to give you a categoric answer as to where the leak is. In the post above there are possible sources of the water ingress. It may even be a combination of sources. Really if you cannot discern a source(s) it might be better to get a AWS technician in to inspect and survey it. Ive had caravans which have shown damp low down but its point of ingress was high up, but don't be mislead by no apparent signs on the walls. Often when it gets to that situation the internal damage could be significant. None of mine showed wall damage, or smelt, as I had picked up the leak early.

From the photo and your description give the cassette locker/flush water inlet a good look as it could be as simple as a rubber seal or sealant.

Reactions: Buddiefan
Jan 13, 2023
Visit site
Thank you. It's a relatively old caravan so there is a hood possibility the seals have corroded. How is the toilet fixed to the floor? Is it straightforward to remove? I can't find any videos

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Go to Thetford website and select toilets scroll down the list until you identify yours - there are lots but maybe C200 C series I suspect from your photo - then there is an installation guide which should help with removal too. Made a good start finding the likely cause of the leak - if it’s been going on sometime then you might need some remedial work before refitting- good luck!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts