Learning from my bitter experience

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Background: Now the kids are off our hands and deciding to come back to caravanning after a 20 year break in February 2014 my wife and I decided to dip our toes in the water and purchase a used 2005 -06 Avondale Osprey for £7000 . Despite a really poor aftersales experience when trying (and failing) to get an issue sorted out we discovered at handover, all went well with this van but were reminded very quickly that one of the things we didn't enjoy about caravanning was setting up the bed and putting it away every day. So after attending the NEC show in October 2014 despite facing a loss of £2750 on part-ex value of the Osprey ordered a new Bailey Unicorn Cadiz in November 2014 to be told that the production date of the caravan would be June 2015. - well, we;d got a caravan, we could put up with another 8 months of bed setting up, so we put our order in and paid our deposit and looked forward to our delivery date.

The part-ex value was provided was based on book price, and with not actually seeing the Osprey. In fact the dealer didn't see the Osprey until we towed it in to pick up the Cadiz (July 2015) when, due to the dealer discovering "damp" in the Osprey, the p/x offer was reduced - having seen the damp meter for myself and listened to the damning comments from the dealer, I am now aware there is no doubt that the Osprey would have had water ingress problems when we puchased it.. The Bailey dealer actually pointed out that there was a repair on the back of the van which was the only place there was no damp, three quarters of the van had damp and our new van dealer said it might last another season. There was no gun to our head, it was our choice and the dealer even offered to return our (non returnable) deposit despite the fact that we'd had sveral extras on the Cadiz to make it "ours"

Lessons to be learned:
1. Even when buying second hand from a dealer, however old or young the caravan is and no matter how trustworthy they seem have an independant inspection (this could have saved us £5,275
2. Part-ex quoted for you van when ordering any new caravan can change should the condition of model you are bringing in either change or be found not to be as expected - have extra finance ready!

The experience was like a punch in the gut, but we were lucky we had the finances to be able to work around it and that the Bailey dealer was willing to put some value on the Osprey (even though he expected that he'd end up selling for scrap) I'd just like Practical Caravan readers to learn by our costly mistake and take this opportunity to rant at caravan manufacturers to get their act together and sort out this on-going water ingress issue with better design, Avondale went out of business, Bailey have suffered with it in the past, there are rumours another large manufacturer has earned a reputation for producing leaky vans - if they don't sort it out they will go the same way as Avondale, or worst still caravanners like ourselves will end up losing a shed load of money on their product.

Contact me should you need, I'm willing to name and shame

Moderator Note: Name of Dealership removed .
Read the Forum Etiquette BEFORE posting.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
R200_Chris said:
Background: Now the kids are off our hands and deciding to come back to caravanning after a 20 year break in February 2014 my wife and I decided to dip our toes in the water and purchase a used 2005 -06 Avondale Osprey for £7000. Despite a really poor aftersales experience when trying (and failing) to get an issue sorted out we discovered at handover, 1. Even when buying second hand from a dealer, however old or young the caravan is and no matter how trustworthy they seem have an independant inspection (this could have saved us £5,275

Contact me should you need, I'm willing to name and shame

Thought you already had. :dry:

Moderator Note : Dealership name removed.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, there are good and bad dealers out there. Trouble is, not allowed to comment on poor experiences, other than to say, my trade ins have been mutually agreeable, even when dealer had not seen my vehicle.
Its the aftersales service that is often disappointing, when dealer does not rectify defects found in your ownership, and you are left in limbo.
One vehicle I had, brand new, had defects occur, not serious but concerning.
When their workshops, 72 miles from home, checked it out, kept fitting incorrect parts as remedy. Eventually went to maker in France, who condemned the dealer for not taking trouble to read recalls sent out about defects.
Had vehicle recalled to France for fix of whole of one side !
Dealer remained belligerent throughout, denying it was their fault that maker was sending wrong parts.
Maker informed me no parts had been ordered for my vehicle. Stalemate ! Never dealt with them again, and seeing some forums comments, still behave the same.
Its a case of buyer beware and get knowledgable help.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Chris, welcome back to caravanning, unfortunatly despite a 20 year gap very little has changed, vans still leak, dealers still sell them to unsuspecting punters, who are then abandonded to take a big hit when it goes pear shaped, manufacturers don't care as they hide behind the dealer network, dealers don't care as long as the profit margin is maintained and so on.
many times on this very forum and others we hear the same story, buy a van for the first time use it a bit, decide to get a newer one trade it in and it's full of damp. dealer then wants it for nothing or won't take it off your hands it is pay, pay, pay. the thing is the dealer checks your van for damp when buying but not apparently when selling that is up to you to do
but being new, how do you know, the double wammy is your not allowed to tell anyone, who is dodgy so they can be avoided. it is all part of the game, sorry you have fallen into the same trap as thousands before you and at least you have learned from it, won't help the thousands who come after of course, as the industry doesn't care, business is booming the punters keep coming in so why change anything, the whole industry stinks and the punters pick up the tab.
good luck with your new one [hope you had it damp tested] if not fingers crossed for the first service.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
As I have said so many times before, stop buying new caravans, everybody, then you might get manufacturers to smarten up. Sadly though, that will never happen, so, if I'm still around in ten years time, I'll still be reading the same old story.
And, no, I've never bought a new van. My present van is 36 years old, but was quality when new, and still is!

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm with emmerson on this, My van is practically "new" compared with his
(mines only 20 years old!) but I've no damp, everything works as it should, cushions beds etc all plump and comfortable ( no need for toppers and the like)
It was built of good quality materials by folks who knew what they were doing and quality control was excellent.

I know that we tend to hear more about faults and issues with new caravans rather than glowing comments on their excellence, but I guess that is human nature!
Regards to all and
Happy Caravanning
paws

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
We unfortunately had the exact same issue, we bought our first van last year at a price too good to turn down, but not from a dealer we bought ours via a trader. We thought nothing was wrong until we to purchased a new van from the NEC and when we went to part ex was told it was rotten and showed us with his damp meter all over the front of the van even though a few days before we traded in we had someone come and look at the van and test for damp, he did find some around one of the windows. We also ended up loosing £2000 against our part ex value but decided we wanted the new van especially as our old one was full of damp. We are very happy now with our new caravan and the issue we had in April are in the distant past.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid the moral here is never buy a second hand caravan without a damp check and if you agree a trade in unseen then get one done before you take it in to change. It may be bad news going knowing there is a problem but at least forearmed you can have arranged extra finance if you need it or have the extra cash ready.
We did this when we last traded in our caravan but in fact the dealer saw a well maintained caravan, looked inside and said "that's fine". Frankly we could not believe it.
I think any caravan of any age can have damp issues but I am afraid from what I have learned since is late models from Avondale are particularly susceptible and that is not all that can go wrong with them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts