Leaving taps open over winter…?

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
Having bought our first caravan a couple of months ago, we're currently getting it ready to put its winter cover on. One thing the chap at the dealership said when we collected the van was that we should always drain the water tank after use by opening the small tap in the under-seat compartment where the water heater and tank are located. I did so this morning (as well as opening the taps with the water pump on to drain any water remaining in the pipes), and was wondering whether there's any benefit in leaving the drain tap open over the winter?

On a related note, I seem to recall the chap at the dealership also recommending leaving the stopper on the end of the toilet header tank drainage tube unstopped over the winter. Is this a good recommendation, and why/why not?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s useful to open the main caravan drain before leaving a site and also open all mixer taps to half way. That way the movement during the return journey aids system drainage.

If you search on the site there are very recent posts about how extra water drainage can be achieved by slightly pressurising the system. Some have DIY kit. Others have a Floe Jet.

I’ve never removed the drainage bung during storage.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Once drained, fully. I see no advantage of leaving any tap in the open position. But, apart from the possible bug input. It’s not a disadvantage either.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we winterised our caravan we pulled the yellow lever to drain under the bunk we leave the taps up and shower we was told to do this at a caravan dealer. Toilet cassett we leave it slighly open .
These have gone on the flu and the aerial before we put the breathable cover on so it can not rip it .

Attachments

• DSC02927.JPG
    DSC02927.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have always left the tap open and had no problems. I do blow down the taps to clear any last drops of water from them and then take the front down as far as possible to let anything left drain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having bought our first caravan a couple of months ago, we're currently getting it ready to put its winter cover on. One thing the chap at the dealership said when we collected the van was that we should always drain the water tank after use by opening the small tap in the under-seat compartment where the water heater and tank are located. I did so this morning (as well as opening the taps with the water pump on to drain any water remaining in the pipes), and was wondering whether there's any benefit in leaving the drain tap open over the winter?

On a related note, I seem to recall the chap at the dealership also recommending leaving the stopper on the end of the toilet header tank drainage tube unstopped over the winter. Is this a good recommendation, and why/why not?
There a few reasons why you should try to get all the water out of the system before you put it into storage. Especially over winter storage, if any water is left in any critical areas (e.g. Non return valves) when it freezes its expands, and it can damage sensitive "O"ring seals or other components.

At other times of the year, water droplets in pipes and fittings can become breeding grounds for moulds and other nasties.

I don't personally advocate leaving taps open(edit) during storage, as insects (esp. Spiders) like spaces like that to use for nests and nurseries.

As Otherclive suggests opening drain taps etc for your journey home usual dains the system quite effectievly.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most caravan taps have flow “ softeners” to give a gentler non splashing stream, they also will discourage creepie crawlies from entering. They will sometimes become restricted due to limescale or bits that have carried through the system. They are easily removed and cleaned.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The main thing to remember is to remove the filter from the filter unit as that can hold water and crack giving you a surprise when you next use the caravan in warmer weather and refill the boiler.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi, i just emptied tank and blew through system on my swift challenger 625e, will mine have a filter ?

If so where will i find it to remove for winter.

Cheers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, i just emptied tank and blew through system on my swift challenger 625e, will mine have a filter ?

If so where will i find it to remove for winter.

Cheers.
Probably under your sink in the cold inlet to that tap. That’s where mine were on two vans before I removed them permanently.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we called at the dealer on way back from our break we ask him to remove the filter from the filter unit i am not handy with my hands .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Considering the temperature is supposed to really drop by Thursday, it may be an idea to get there before the weekend?
Could it be weather forecasters hype. The temperature is coming down but looking at Wiltshire, Aviemore or North Yorkshire it’s hardly an Arctic blast with none of those areas even showing minus figure. The forecasters seem to like dramatising the weather changes.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Could it be weather forecasters hype. The temperature is coming down but looking at Wiltshire, Aviemore or North Yorkshire it’s hardly an Arctic blast with none of those areas even showing minus figure. The forecasters seem to like dramatising the weather changes.
True but why take a chance?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We been today at the caravan storage just to make sure the van is ok and put the fridge covers on with this cold weather suppose to be coming .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They are covers that go over the fridge vents during the winter so that the fridge can operate correctly. The fridge needs heat to cool down.
We fit them anyway even if we are not touring and caravan is in storage. Here is an example as they are all different depending on type of fridge fitted. This is an example. Fridge cover.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Covers also helpful when you wash the caravan. Prevent water ingress if you are too enthusiastic with the hose spray or cleaning brush.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My caravan dealer got me a set probably that might be best way for you .
Also you need to measure them on my van i had one longer / one small .

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts