Led tubular lights for garage

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My garage has two 5 ft fluorescent tubes which aren’t particularly bright. I am thinking of replacing them with LED tubular equivalent. Not just fitting the Led tubes to the existing ballasted fittings, which can be done, as the ballasts would invariably fail before the led lights. So I would just install new led tubes with compatible fittings. Has anyone used the led tubes as replacement for fluorescent tubes.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive,
I have just replaced 4 old fluorescent tube lights with LED units, got the LED ready fittings and tubes as the old units were corroded and taking the ballast out and rewiring seemed silly.
The LED ready tubes do not require a ballast as they just have one connection to one end and the electronics are in the end of each tube. The tubes and fittings are marked Live and Dummy.
Used Daylight 6ft new units and it is amazing, so much light is incredible.
Well worth the money and time, and of course the saving on energy.

I used this company and the prices were very reasonable, and quick service https://www.lampshoponline.com/

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi Clive,
I have just replaced 4 old fluorescent tube lights with LED units, got the LED ready fittings and tubes as the old units were corroded and taking the ballast out and rewiring seemed silly.
The LED ready tubes do not require a ballast as they just have one connection to one end and the electronics are in the end of each tube. The tubes and fittings are marked Live and Dummy.

I used this company and the prices were very reasonable, and quick service https://www.lampshoponline.com/
Damian, on the subject of LED lights can the LED's be replaced in the awning light or do you have to change the whole unit, cheers

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Camel, it depends on the make, some can have the LED strip removed and replaced, others need the whole light unit.

Reactions: camel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive,

Damian
Thank you for the information. When I looked at my old ones I drew the same conclusion as you did. Looks a no brainer then as it will save me so much time ferreting around looking for stuff 😀

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The pictures show just how much difference the LED lights make, photos taken around 7pm.
No apologies for the state of the workshop, its been busy with the lockdown !!!!

Attachments

• SAM_0736-1.jpg
    SAM_0736-1.jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 57
  • SAM_0735-1.jpg
    SAM_0735-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Damian
Even in a photograph the light level is impressive. I feel better now about my garage. I’ve been in the house a year and everything is still in boxes or crates. But it is on my “ lockdown” list.
Cheers Clive

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The pictures show just how much difference the LED lights make, photos taken around 7pm.
No apologies for the state of the workshop, its been busy with the lockdown !!!!
I Spy with my little eye something beginning with "C".

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, no canoe there. The cardboard tube is holding my manometer to keep it safe.
I do have an Albacore racing dinghy but that is stored at the sailing club.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, no canoe there. The cardboard tube is holding my manometer to keep it safe.
I do have an Albacore racing dinghy but that is stored at the sailing club.
Damian, lucky you love the sailing, my brother in law moved over there within 12month he moved back I told him to get himself on a seamanship course and buy a small. Cabby fishing boat, if you are retired theres no better place sea fishing, sailing plenty of cycling routes, nice. Conservative club in Newport, what more did he want,

Reactions: Damian
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just fitted the LED batten lights to replace the old fluorescent tubes. One 5 ft and one 4 ft. The difference is amazing and at less power too. The savings will be significant as I will now be able to find a dropped 1/4 inch washer in less time. Before and after pictures.
I would well recommend the change and instant start up too.
5CA28A80-E5C9-4416-B1DE-5067FB062B61.jpeg316F883F-CA43-403B-9E8B-A6F7A610B54E.jpeg2B83153E-A3C7-49A7-9E35-8DFE86E15B2F.jpeg84BCA51A-F9E6-4F74-85C2-961829CE6C23.jpeg

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Great improvement Clive.
Perhaps if you have a spare year you could be persuaded to come and tidy my garage:giggle:
Damian
You might notice the large boxes of IKEA wardrobe parts shortly due for moving indoors. I’m secretly hoping that my wife might then give me permission to place a Honda 400/4 in the empty floor space. I’d even promise to just keep it static as something to admire and polish. Can but dream 🤞

• Haha
Reactions: Damian
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Damian
You might notice the large boxes of IKEA wardrobe parts shortly due for moving indoors. I’m secretly hoping that my wife might then give me permission to place a Honda 400/4 in the empty floor space. I’d even promise to just keep it static as something to admire and polish. Can but dream 🤞

A nice 400/4 is a spendy piece of kit!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why on earth do we still call them garages?:cool:
Prof
You are so right. I’ve not put a car in a garage since our first house in Plymouth back in 1973. In fact when I viewed that house it wasn’t the view to Saltash, the main bus route, the pub, or woods for dog walking. It was the full length maintenance pit in the garage that was the USP! My wife didn’t even see the house until the day we moved in, such was the property market then. But given the “reliability “ of my Singer Chamois followed by a Morris 1300 Traveller, the pit was a godsend.

Reactions: Beachball
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately so. Around £6000 ish. But so nice to sit next to drinking tea. and just admiring the beauty of its form.
My previous wife found an unregistered 400/4 from 78, but that was a few years back... I think she paid £5k for it... Needed new tyres and brake hoses...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LED battens clearly much better especially in colder temperatures. But if you rally want working lights, look at the 600 x 600mm LED panels now available at around £20 from CPC, Toolstation etc. The spread of light is huge and all for 40 watts. They come with a transformer/rectifier unit and are really designed to fit into the grid of a suspended ceiling but I;m sure you won't fond it exactly rocket science to make up a suitable mount. I now have serveral installed in my house and the increased illumination level has reduced the impoact of my failing sight considerably.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LED battens clearly much better especially in colder temperatures. But if you rally want working lights, look at the 600 x 600mm LED panels now available at around £20 from CPC, Toolstation etc. The spread of light is huge and all for 40 watts. They come with a transformer/rectifier unit and are really designed to fit into the grid of a suspended ceiling but I;m sure you won't fond it exactly rocket science to make up a suitable mount. I now have serveral installed in my house and the increased illumination level has reduced the impoact of my failing sight considerably.

The light output of the ones I have installed is second to none, it is the very best I have ever seen.
Also the beauty of the fittings and tubes do not have to have a transformer/rectifier, they are a simple swap of the feed to the fitting, but just one end, they do not have a heavy ballast unit in the fitting like the old fluorescent ones did, and you don't have to make up a mount to fit them.
6000K and at 24watts daylight.

Reactions: otherclive

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Whilst we are commenting on the contents of your garage, can I compliment you on your choice of Barbrcue. Nice Weber Smoky Joe, I believe.
mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts