Leisure battery for a Swift Challenger Sport 636

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
I've only had a caravan a short time and at the end of last season I had to dispose of my leisure battery. I assumed it would be an easy matter to buy another one for this new season, but I was wrong.

Apparently, it must be the right size for the battery box and the terminals must be a certain way round.

My caravan is on electric hook-up all season and I don't use the motor mover, so I only need around a 85ah.

Can anyone please recommend a battery that definitely fits my Swift Challenger Sport 636 (reg Dec 2011).

Thanks.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am sure that some recommendations will come in, but you can also measure the battery box. Not sure what you mean by the terminals being the right way around ( but I am not very technical so may be missing something ) as the black and red connectors from the van are on leads so you have some wiggle. Also ( could be really showing my stupidity) can you not just turn the battery around?
mel

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Look at your battery cables is one longer than the other or both similar lengths. As Mel says measure your battery box. Leisure batteries generally have a simplified terminal arrangement with positive one end, negative the other. Look at this website that gives lots of info on each of the leisure batteries offered. At 85 amp hr length and depth shouldn’t be a problem, but make sure it’s height gives sufficient clearance to get the cables positioned. There is some variation in battery terminal height.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/caravan/

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've only had a caravan a short time and at the end of last season I had to dispose of my leisure battery. I assumed it would be an easy matter to buy another one for this new season, but I was wrong.

Apparently, it must be the right size for the battery box and the terminals must be a certain way round.

My caravan is on electric hook-up all season and I don't use the motor mover, so I only need around a 85ah.

Can anyone please recommend a battery that definitely fits my Swift Challenger Sport 636 (reg Dec 2011).

Thanks.

If you don't use a motor mover and it's always on EHU a small, cheap car battery will do just fine

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As above. But if you have no intensions of using the battery seriously. So far as I understand it, the battery will only be used to regulated the low voltage. Capacity would have no importance. It would not have to be a leisure battery. something like one of these would be suitable. Or for a small leisure battery look here.

Terminal orientation should not be an issue as these batteries will fit with lots of room. (But please check). You could even put the terminals to the back if it helped.

John

Mar 7, 2022
Visit site
Look at your battery cables is one longer than the other or both similar lengths. As Mel says measure your battery box. Leisure batteries generally have a simplified terminal arrangement with positive one end, negative the other. Look at this website that gives lots of info on each of the leisure batteries offered. At 85 amp hr length and depth shouldn’t be a problem, but make sure it’s height gives sufficient clearance to get the cables positioned. There is some variation in battery terminal height.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/caravan/
Thanks, but I intend taking the battery with me to the caravan, so I'm not able to look at the battery box or measure it.
Tried Tayna, but they couldn't tell me which battery fitted.
Will probably buy a small one, knowing it will then fit.
Cheers, Pete
As above. But if you have no intensions of using the battery seriously. So far as I understand it, the battery will only be used to regulated the low voltage. Capacity would have no importance. It would not have to be a leisure battery. something like one of these would be suitable. Or for a small leisure battery look here.

Terminal orientation should not be an issue as these batteries will fit with lots of room. (But please check). You could even put the terminals to the back if it helped.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, but I intend taking the battery with me to the caravan, so I'm not able to look at the battery box or measure it.
Tried Tayna, but they couldn't tell me which battery fitted.
Will probably buy a small one, knowing it will then fit.
Cheers, Pete
Best then to get one with the lower height terminals, as if you have ordered it online it’s the devils own job to return ( at your cost)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The battery is only there to smooth out the current if you are permanently on a hook up and a cheap car one will do as Roger says.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts