levelling

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

our first trip in our first van is coming uo soon, It probably sounds dumb but what is the best procedure to level the van when you reach your pitch ??

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina,

First of all, level it sideways (across the axles) while still connected to the car by either turning the van or by using ramps. Wind the jockey wheel down and un-couple from the car.

Now level the van lenghtways using the jockey wheel. Once it's level, wind the steadies down. Note that these are to steady the van only and should not be used to level the van.

I also wedge the wheels, wind the jockey wheel up and release the handbrake but I think thats just me being wierd!

Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina

When you get the van on site[ they are rarely flat] so before unhiching look to see which side is lowest by placeing a ramp in fornt of the lowest wheel pull van forward till it looks level this can be checked with a small spirit level,secure hand brake place a small wheel chock behind the wheel on the ramp, now unhitch van from car use jockey wheel to level for and aft again with spirit level now lower the rear corner steadies put block of wood under the feet of steadies,next use jockey wheel to firm up then lower front steadies till firm. when this is done release hand brake. put kettle on have cup of tea.

Happy camping

jim M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To assist with fore and aft levelling ( done by raising or lowering the jockey wheel ) I have a small spirit level Araldited -lengthways- to the A-frame close to the jockey wheel clamp. Then as you turn the jockey wheel handle you can see the bubble move 'till you reach level

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
To assist with fore and aft levelling ( done by raising or lowering the jockey wheel ) I have a small spirit level Araldited -lengthways- to the A-frame close to the jockey wheel clamp. Then as you turn the jockey wheel handle you can see the bubble move 'till you reach level
thanks all, you make it sound dead easy, !!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have stuck one of those triangular shaped spirit levels with longitude and latitude (?) readings just inside the front window.

To set this with accuracy I first ensured that the caravan was level by using a standard spirit level on the floor inside. When I stuck the level inside the window I had to pack up one side as the window ledge was not level to the floor.

This now allows me to see which side to place my ramp for sideways levelling and then how much to turn the jockey wheel to level off. At first I used to check with a standard level but now I dont bother as I know that my system works really well.

TRENDING THREADS