Liberal Democrat Tax Proposals

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
So the Liberal Democrats seem to be offering a £2000 per year tax on 4 x 4 vehicles. If that were ever to happen a lot of caravanners would be very unhappy, wouldn't you say?

G

If anyone wishes a clear understanding on LibDem strategies then look no further than the Scottish Executive. Here a party that came 4th in the number of votes cast, shares power in Government. In the last By Election it castigated all the Policies its own party members had approved as ministers. Talk about having your cake and eating it.

G

Gavin,

Please read my Post and think again. If, and this does seem a distinct possibility, there is a hung Parliement, who do you think will do the power broking? That is what they are hoping for, power by the back door.

G

Now your talking, but maybe we could ask the ex leader of the LibDems??..oops sorry!

As for the question. If I am paying then a Glenmorangie goes down well, if you are paying then a 25 year old Macallan will do very nicely. After all I am Scottish!!

If you really want to put the boat out then you can get a bottle in Jenners of Edinburgh at 7000 pounds the bottle, I kid you not. They do give you a velvet box to take it home in, so that's all right then.

Slainte

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
I should say mines a Talisker as i was brought up just up the road from the distillery. My dad worked there aswell, but its a bit of an aquired taste. Highland Park is one of my favourites, and i always have a bottle of Glenmorangie in for New Year.

Got a bottle of 12 year old Oban in the kitchen unopened, so i'll let you know how i get on with that at a later date,

Slainte mhath,

Gavin.

G

Talisker I always found a little too peaty for personal taste. Speyside is milder. Have fun with the 'Oban'.

However, if you wish to talk whiskies then maybe we should transfer to the 'chit-chat' slot before someone complains 'what has whisky to do with towcars?'

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Getting back to the original topic - the BBC News has just covered this item.

They stated that virtually ALL drivers of "ordinary" cars will be caught by these proposals. It came across as a very strong vote loser!

Not helped by the Lib Dems "Ming the Mumbler" scurrying off when asked by the BBC reporter "What about the guy with a Mondeo?".

It is interesting to see how of late the BBC seems to be far more balanced on motoring issues. Ever since the lovely lady from the "Ban the Urban 4x4" group was totally outclassed and made to look silly on BBC Breakfast, by the facts as opposed to emotional twaddle, the BBC seems to be at least presenting both sides of the motoring/tax debate.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
This sounds like a classic carrot and stick policy - trouble is all I can see is a bloody big stick and no carrot.

The mythical and probably miniscule environmental gains would be a carrot to some misguided souls I supose but then with these rates of tax none of us would be able to afford proper carrots!!

Why oh Why can't politicians join the real world, if they really do want a green one so much what about investment in alternative energy sources such as nuclear fusion - bet they have never even heard of it - alternative fuels such as bio,LPG and hydrogen, investment in clean aero engine technology and above all financial incentives and encouragement for us to change course.

Increased Tax aint gonner do it for sure!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The short-sightedness of Politicians does not need any extra words from me, but the stupidity of setting an upper limit on the amount of money for conversion grants beggars belief.

Just proves how much are really interested in pollution.

They would rather tax us of the road rather than supply an incentive for people to buy/convert to cleaner fuels.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The short-sightedness of Politicians does not need any extra words from me, but the stupidity of setting an upper limit on the amount of money for conversion grants beggars belief.

Just proves how much are really interested in pollution.

They would rather tax us of the road rather than supply an incentive for people to buy/convert to cleaner fuels.
Sorry - should be - LPG conversion grants.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts