Lidl battery charger

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Lidl battery charger back on sale next Thursday ( 17/01/2013 )
smiley-wink.gif

Another just-in-case item to keep in the van
smiley-surprised.gif

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I will probably go for one of these if my area store gets them in.
Is this the one that can be left connected.
Also I read a review somewhere that mentioned an anti sulphating programme on these chargers. Can anyone give me a bit of a teach in on what this actually does. Sorry to ask what could be a daft question! Indeed the article I read could have been referring to something else, it was a while ago.

best regards Brian

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Brian
On the link there is a video on how to use it
smiley-wink.gif

But yes it can be left on all of the time, the only down side is if you have a power cut it will need re-setting.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Cheers Sir Sproket.
Viewed the video and it does give a bit of an insight to what the charger can do.It has certainly made me think because about 18 months ago I left my then less than 3 year old leisure battery with the supplier and bought a new one due mainly to the fact it would not accept a charge after being discharged perhaps too much. My fault, after quite a bit of motor mover use I did not re-charge it and then carelessly left the heater fan and fridge light on with no mains back up this was for about 4 weeks. I suspect that had I got a smart charger it would have overcome the problem and brought the battery back to a usable condition. I will never know but shelling out £93 for the new battery will focus me in the future.
I bet the guy I left it with owns this type of charger and gave it a go before disposal. I know he offers second hand equipment for sale and perhaps that probably includes servicable leisure batteries.
Thanks for the reply
regards Brian

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The lidl charger looks very similar to a CTEK one that I have had for several years now, and the description seems to show very similar features and spec. I always remove the battery when the van is in store and put it on the charger and there it sits until required again. Periodically I connect a 25w lamp across the battery to cycle it down then reconnect the charger which brings the voltage back up and then just goes into maintence mode. Never had any battery issues since I started to use this approach some 15 years back.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sproket said:
Dustydog said:
Tried the Cirencester store this morning. All sold out!

Sir Dustydog the clue is in the date >>

‹(•¿•)›

back on sale next Thursday ( 17/01/2013 )
smiley-wink.gif

Sir Sproket
When I asked the staff yesterday they even went out to the store room. Another staff member came out and said they were all sold out!!!!!
I'll go back first thing next thursday.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Is it best to disconnect the battery or even take the battery off the van to use this charger?
The reason I ask is that my van doesnt have a control panel to switch the on board charger on/off.
So in effect there would be two chargers feeding the battery if it wasnt disconnected,
or is it safe to use the two in tandem so to speak?

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I had thought about this myself and I did intend taking the battery into the garage to keep it charged.
I'm unsure if the external charger would have a detrimental effect to the caravan on board charging circuitry even if the mains supply was disconnected.
I intend getting a spare smaller AH battery Just to gives us a little more scope for visiting sites without hookup. So I would fit that whilst the larger was off for a while say during the winter layup. I always need a good supply of battery power when arriving home because I have quite a bit of motor mover manoeuvring to re-site the van by the house. Arriving home with a very low battery would give my a bit of a problem.
Perhaps someone with technical knowledge may give us both a better idea regarding the options available?
Best regards Brian

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
The charger will not work if the van charger is switched on as it will sense that the battery is fully charged.

The ideal way is to remove the battery to charge it & leave it to go onto it's maintenance mode.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts