LIGHT WEIGHT TWIN AXLE VANS

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A caravan which is unusually light for its size compared to the competition is not a good sign if the level of equipemnt is otherwise comparable. It would tend to indicate that the manufacturer may be using flimsy materials that might not stand up to hard use. I'd be wary and take a closer look at the details, such as how rigid the cupboard doors and their hinges and catches are, etc.

G

"A caravan which is unusually light for its size compared to the competition is not a good sign if the level of equipemnt is otherwise comparable."

This has to be one of Lutz's worst ever posts ;-) There should be no reason at all for a caravan of this size and weight not to be stronger and better built than other traditional build UK vans if the manufacturer has joined the 21st century and used some of the modern matetrials and processes available to them.

I would add though, that going by normal UK trends Lutz could well be spectacularly correct and you may find that corners have been cut with materials used to reduce weight!

No doubt Lutz like me would like to be wrong and find that Avondale have joined the space age revolution and incorporated modern day technology in to their production line.

G

I like your thinking Frank, but using modern materials and methods can work out cheaper.

We recently completed a building project and used Carbon Fibre and GRP in place of traditional steels and concrete and bricks and mortar and it worked out at 1/3 of the regular cost.

You never know, Avondale could have got smart ;-0

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't think any caravan manufacturer is into rocket science yet (carbon fibre and all that). If they were, prices would not be competitive. Therefore, regrettably, I'll stick to the opinion expressed in my first post in this thread.

G

Come on Lutz get up to speed, CF was just an example.

There are plenty of lightweight honeycomb products of varying types that are available at reasonable prices off the shelf and they are lighter and stronger than anything used in caravans.

You do not have to go space shuttle to save weight and money and add a lot more strength. If it can be used in Buildings externally and internally within tight budgets, why not in caravans and at a sensible price.

Apart from greedy manufacturers profits of course!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm not suggesting that what you are saying is not feasible but my experience of caravan manufacturers is that they are very conservative and, contrary to car manufacturers who have the resources to develop novel solutions, the volumes involved in caravan production are comparatively just too small to justify the cost of development of such ideas and associated tooling investment for radical changes in their manufacturing layout.

G

Lutz

That's a common misconception that you need to re tool and need space age work force with degrees.

That is not the case and there are plenty of UK companies who will supply modern day products in small batches. Lots of the light weight panels that would be suitable for use in the caravan industry can be worked with tools and bonding systems that are in use now.

Tradition and lack of vision re sourcing modern day alternatives in the Cravan industry are to blame probably and also they want built in obsolescence. Honeycomb flooring that will last 40 years + is probably not attractive to the accountants even though it would be cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts