List to starboard

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I have only had my Swift Archway Woodford 2011 for a month, but each time I have levelled her on site she seems to list towards the off side. I have measured the distance between the bottom of the caravan sides and the centre of the wheels (on level ground), and the off side is 4 cms lower than the near side. My selling dealer tells me that this is because most of the heavy fittings (fridge, water pump and heater and cooker) are on the off side,but this just doesn't feel quite right to me. Any comments would be appreciated as I'm worried about towing a lopsided caravan.
Cheers

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well Im not sure that I agree with the dealer. It is the manufacturers responsibility to produce a van that is balanced and fit to tow, i.e. fit for purpose.

Does your van have a shock absorber fitted, could be a problem with the shocker if fitted?

Are you yourself overl;oading one side?

Is it tyre pressure?

I would certainly have a second opinion on this from a workshop.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, 19481986,

Most caravans will have some mismatch weight wise from side to side, and that will cause one side to be slightly lower than the other, but the degree of difference you describe does seem excessive. As Thingy suggests do check the tyre pressures. I suggest to contact the manufacture to ask for their opinion on the difference.

Hello Thingy,
Morally the manufacture should endeavour to build a caravan that is 'fit for purpose', but in fact provided they have complied with all relevant legislation, its not their legal responsibility for it to be fit for purpose. That responsibility falls on the seller with whom the customer has the contract.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Just a thought ...
Have you checked that both of the tyres are the same size ??

I would also take a measurement from the thick reinforced plate just behind the wheel that is part of the chassis to the floor. That will give you an idea of what is going on, is the top of the wheel arches the same distance ftom the awning rail on both sides ?

If you had one of these you would be able to check that your side to side weight is not overloading one of your wheels

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When you level off do you use a spirit level?
Ground variation can play havoc with measurements even though it looks level.
Have you posted on Swift Talk? The boys from the factory do respond daily.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello Thingy,
Morally the manufacture should endeavour to build a caravan that is 'fit for purpose', but in fact provided they have complied with all relevant legislation, its not their legal responsibility for it to be fit for purpose. That responsibility falls on the seller with whom the customer has the contract.

Fair point. I think I worded it badly too, as I was suggesting that it was unlikely that the makers had made a caravan so unbalanced, rather than the legal angle, which points to some sort of issue with that particular unit. My feelings are very much to either bad loading (no offence to the OP) or a suspension issue.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just another thought, does the caravan appear the same when parked up, either at home or in storage? One morer thought, as I am not sure how experienced the OP is, but what method are you using to level the caravan? Some time ago, I saw two couples, with the jockey in the air attempting to level their van with the corner steadies.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is not unusual for a caravan to sit lower on one side than the other and 4cm is quite within normal limits

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your helpful comments. I am new to caravanning, but I level (using a long spirit level) with the wheels first, then the jockey and only then do I lower the steadies. The tyres are the same and I try to load right down the middle with the weight over the axle. Damian Moderator has eased my worries thank you. The caravan certainly seems to tow without any lateral tugging. Just playing safe!
DG

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts