Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Went outside front door to waste bin and my front door slammed shut behind me. By chance my wallet was on me where I keep a spare key, inserted it to find It will not go in because the key inside was in it. Called a locksmith who drilled the lock out etc , price £459, call out £49, lock £95 ,half an our labour £315. Afterwards In thought it would be cheaper to break a window an get in

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Went outside front door to waste bin and my front door slammed shut behind me. By chance my wallet was on me where I keep a spare key, inserted it to find It will not go in because the key inside was in it. Called a locksmith who drilled the lock out etc , price £459, call out £49, lock £95 ,half an our labour £315. Afterwards In thought it would be cheaper to break a window an get in
You should move to Coventry. My BIL. had lost his keys in hospital and it was delaying discharge. Hospital rang mid morning on a Saturday. Lock drilled out and new lock plus five keys £211. Good VFM
Oh and discharge was the following Wednesday due to non availability of meds.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Motto of the story is never, ever leave keys in a lock!
I always leave the keys on the front and back doors at night time, just in case of a fire, then first thing in the morning is to unlock the doors and place the keys away.
The doors cannot be opened from the outside.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Most locks fitted to modern doors require locking with a key from either side. So will not lock it they slam shut as with the OP. Mine are like that. I always leave the key in on the inside, like Hutch says, in case of fire. We always lock the door day and night. But we are conscious that we like key holders to be able to unlock from the outside if something happens.

The problem is, that it is not possible to put a key in from both sides at the same time. This means we have to always have the habit of pulling the inside key out 10 mm.

The answer is what Lutz suggests. Though I don’t think I have seen one for sale in the UK. (But have not looked for a long time).

My sort of lock is very common, but in my opinion, dangerous for two reasons.

1. In case of fire, some people will waste precious seconds finding a key.

2. If the key is inserted the door cannot be unlocked from the outside.

I have always been amazed that I never hear the Fire Brigade making objections to them. My brother is a fireman and he adnitts it is not something he had considered.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My experience of fire brigades is that they don't waste time asking questions where there could be a second key. To break down the door will already be their first course of action if no-one else is there to open it first.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am sure that our home policy covers just such an event? I will need to check however we have the key box outside so no real issue unless I forget the PIN.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My experience of fire brigades is that they don't waste time asking questions where there could be a second key. To break down the door will already be their first course of action if no-one else is there to open it first.

I did not mean with regard to their entry, they have a very large orange key. I meant advice with regards to residents escaping in case if fire.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always leave the keys on the front and back doors at night time, just in case of a fire, then first thing in the morning is to unlock the doors and place the keys away.
We leave keys in front and back doors too. But before going to bed they are semi withdrawn. That would enable our daughter or grandkids to attend in case if an event as their keys will work from the outsides. Our doors do not self lock when leaving the house. So if a key is left fully in the lock inside we cannot lock the doors from the outside.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We leave keys in front and back doors too. But before going to bed they are semi withdrawn. That would enable our daughter or grandkids to attend in case if an event as their keys will work from the outsides. Our doors do not self lock when leaving the house. So if a key is left fully in the lock inside we cannot lock the doors from the outside.

Which is what we do. But if the locks accepted keys fully inserted from both sides, as Lutz has, I think it would make sense. I cannot see the logic in designing them so one key has to be partially withdrawn.

Perhaps there is a reason, but it escapes me.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site

If the front and back doors cannot be unlocked from outside, how to you make the house secure when you go out shopping/visit friends/go on hols?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I am sure that our home policy covers just such an event? I will need to check however we have the key box outside so no real issue unless I forget the PIN.
Glad you said that asI got in touch with my insurer's where I am insured up to £1000, only to told NO you are not covered if leaving the key inside, but if I had said I lost it they would pay

Reactions: Buckman

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
My disabled gran used to leave a key tied to a piece of string and attached to the inside of the door across the letterbox. You pushed open the letterbox, peered through, hooked the string and dragged up the key. This was so visitors could let themselves in.
Gone are them days.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My daughter has an electric door lock with remote control, so she can let the children in the house when they come home from school without even going to the door. Obviously it works whether one is in the house or outside.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That is exactly what we do, front door cannot be opened from outside without a key but back door can.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Frankly you have been robbed. I lost our garage key and the local locksmith drilled out the old one and fitted a new one for £140 and I suspect it was more complex fitting the garage lock, as that had a complex connection to the mechanism in the door.
Our house doors are all mortice, so if the door slams shut it does not lock. The rim locks that can lock when you slam the door have very little security value and a decent locksmith should be able to open it if the bolt mechanism had not activated, which t should not. Most thieves can do it and the method is no secret.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Motto of the story is never, ever leave keys in a lock!

And in case of fire!!

I have tried to find the government or fire brigade advice on this but was surprised to find just the legislation. With regard to commercial premises, it is made clear and begins with.....

All doors on escape routes leading towards a final exit should be quick and easy to open without the need for a key. In most situations this is the case; for instance, you simply operate the door handle of the door leading from an office and pass through.

But this is what it says for domestic premises!!

There is no fire safety legislation that covers existing homes and no government would attempt to legislate for the home – an Englishman’s home is his castle; an old adage but never the less a true one. The head of the household has a duty and responsibility for looking after the family.

Not sure I agree that that is true because clearly there is extensive legislation in building control and occupiers should comply with these for the life of the building.

I strongly feel that any exit route from any building should be unhindered. Door locks should facilitate this, not get in the way. Some on this thread have considered this and have introduced their own safe exit systems. But should we need really to?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And in case of fire!!

I have tried to find the government or fire brigade advice on this but was surprised to find just the legislation. With regard to commercial premises, it is made clear and begins with.....

All doors on escape routes leading towards a final exit should be quick and easy to open without the need for a key. In most situations this is the case; for instance, you simply operate the door handle of the door leading from an office and pass through.

But this is what it says for domestic premises!!

There is no fire safety legislation that covers existing homes and no government would attempt to legislate for the home – an Englishman’s home is his castle; an old adage but never the less a true one. The head of the household has a duty and responsibility for looking after the family.

Not sure I agree that that is true because clearly there is extensive legislation in building control and occupiers should comply with these for the life of the building.

I strongly feel that any exit route from any building should be unhindered. Door locks should facilitate this, not get in the way. Some on this thread have considered this and have introduced their own safe exit systems. But should we need really to?

John
Rather an odd quote for domestic premises. Who is deemed to be the “ head of the household”? Surely Building control has no sway in how a domestic premises is used over the years when fitments may be changed by various owners.

In this thread the exits from upstairs haven’t been mentioned. All our windows use the same keys. Normally all windows are closed but not locked. If going to be away from the house the windows will be locked and keys hung from hooks to the side of the windows. Our principal exit route from upstairs is out onto the garage roof and then to use on if the cars as a trampoline 🙈

PS edit the “ principal upstairs exit route’ is actually secondary to using the stairs if possible. Stops the car roof being dented.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Rather an odd quote for domestic premises. Who is deemed to be the “ head of the household”? Surely Building control has no sway in how a domestic premises is used over the years when fitments may be changed by various owners.

In this thread the exits from upstairs haven’t been mentioned. All our windows use the same keys. Normally all windows are closed but not locked. If going to be away from the house the windows will be locked and keys hung from hooks to the side of the windows. Our principal exit route from upstairs is out onto the garage roof and then to use on if the cars as a trampoline 🙈

I agree re the ‘head of household’ very odd.

My understanding re Building Control regs. As with all things which come under HASAW is that existing buildings must comply, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Enforcing that is a different matter.

The information I was looking for was in terms of ‘professional advice’, as opposed to the legislation.

It can be confusing. I once researched brigades' advice on caravan fire safety. I discovered that there is no national agreement, each brigade publishes its own, (or not). Some advise extinguishers and blankets. Others say just run like hell.

I have visited people's houses over the years. Some have to find their keys just to open the door. If I get the opportunity I ask them how they would get out if there was a fire behind them.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
How many of us have fire extinguishers in the home.
I have one in the kitchen, a 100gm, Firepal, Two Dry Powder, in the garage front and back one, 1kg CO2 in each bedroom, and a 2 kg dry powder by the front door. 2 in the car and one inside the caravan and a 2 kg CO2 outside on the A frame, placed there once we have pitched up. Thankfully never been stolen ,Yet.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
How many of us have fire extinguishers in the home.
I have one in the kitchen, a 100gm, Firepal, Two Dry Powder, in the garage front and back one, 1kg CO2 in each bedroom, and a 2 kg dry powder by the front door. 2 in the car and one inside the caravan and a 2 kg CO2 outside on the A frame, placed there once we have pitched up. Thankfully never been stolen ,Yet.

Must have had a good buy at one time. 😏

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts